man, could you imagine if we actually had a legit 3pt shooter on this team?!

yea dude, it would be nice, is it really the 3 pt line change thats messed him up, thats awful.

12 of 25 FT shooting is far worse than the 3 PT shooting. We make 21 of 25 (teams avg. FT %) and we have a game.

We could also use a wide-body in the lane to complete with the big guys from MSU. We need Courtney James minus the problems.

If this team could shoot at all....we would be a top 15 or 20 team easily.

If this team could shoot at all....we would be a top 15 or 20 team easily.

let's hope this is "fixed" next year once we get royce, rodney, trevor and justin on board. should open up some things for dj, hoff, sampson, westbrook, etc. i am really pysched about what this team can accomplish next year when we get a bit more personnel on the floor.

Too many rushed or contested 3s

We certainly have to shoot better, but the guys have to execute better to generate more open looks from 3-land and also to identify and deliver the ball to the open man when it happens. Way too many of the 3s today were contested or rushed to really expect a higher percentage. The only pure shooter on the team is Hoff and he's still fighting a slump. The other guys can hit at times, and maybe one or more will develop into a consistent deep threat, but they have to get better looks out of the offense.

We definitely need a shooter that can create his own shot. Hoffarber may be struggling this year but still demands respect when he is on the court. The times I saw him play today MSU always had Walton on him who is their best defender and even when he was open they never found him. Hopefully for Hoff the next step in his development is to learn to create the little bit of space needed for him to get his shot off. He has a quick release but just isn't quick or crafty enough to get the separation needed. Confidence is also a huge thing for shooters and games like today where he doesn't even take a shot despite quality minutes certainly doesn't help that at all.

I have to disagree wth the post about us not getting open looks for 3's. I think we get plenty of looks but we just can't shoot! We must be last in the Big10 in 3 shot percentage!

The only pure shooter on the team is Hoff and he's still fighting a slump.

A slump? Is that what you call it? He may be a a pure shooter but he's not a very good pure shooter. He rarely ever creates an open shot for himself. He is just too slow.

When Hoff and AN are out there together there is little chance of either of them scoring.

I am sure Tubby was counting on Hoff this year to be the three threat but ...

Maybe he will break out of his "slump" at the Dance. and maybe Erin Andrews will come up to my place after the dance to see my etchings.

The highest percentage 3 pt shots come on passes from the inside out. We still suck with our desire and execution at getting the ball into the post. Iverson is awesome in the post. He gets opposing big men in foul trouble. He is only an ok rebounder and defender. When he is on the floor I would throw it to him every time down. I don't get it. Yes maybe Michigan St. wouldnt have to double him, but most other teams have...thus the high percantage three's.

A slump? Is that what you call it? He may be a a pure shooter but he's not a very good pure shooter. He rarely ever creates an open shot for himself. He is just too slow.

When Hoff and AN are out there together there is little chance of either of them scoring.

I am sure Tubby was counting on Hoff this year to be the three threat but ...

Maybe he will break out of his "slump" at the Dance. and maybe Erin Andrews will come up to my place after the dance to see my etchings.

i like your style! :pig:

Hoffarber

On those rare occasions when he is open (and they are rare), they don't get him the ball.

sec 105: "maybe Erin Andrews will come up to my place after the dance to see my etchings. "

Your WHAT?????????

If we hit our freethrows today we would have won. I think that we average about 78% ft shooting and that we shot about 50% today. I believe that Hoff is a very good 3pt shooter however for some reason has had a prolonged slump. If I remember correctly he came through bigtime in clutch situations against Ind. and the highschool tourny game we have all seen over and over. Im just hoping that he regains his confidence and once again the cheer is " HOFFABER FOR THREE".

This game there weren't many open threes

I have to disagree wth the post about us not getting open looks for 3's. I think we get plenty of looks but we just can't shoot! We must be last in the Big10 in 3 shot percentage!

There certainly weren't many open threes against MSU. There have been games where we've missed open threes, but I didn't see many today.

sec105 said:

That's what I call it. A prolonged slump, for sure, but a slump none the less. Last year he was deadly from 3-point range. He was also solid throughout much of this year's non-con schedule, as I remember (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, yes, he is a pure shooter and the fact that opposing teams put their best defenders on him to keep him in check tells me that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

He hasn't done his part with regard to shooting during the B10 season and I would suspect that he isn't any happier about it than you are. I hope he can rediscover his touch/confidence as he can be a potent weapon.

the fact that opposing teams put their best defenders on him to keep him in check tells me that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

As has been pointed out in many posts on this board, other than Westbrook, we really haven't got a serious offensive threat (a Vincent Grier or a Bobby Jackson type not to say Lawrence is in their class) so putting the best on Hoff says Izzo was looking more at what Hoff WAS rather than what Hoff IS.

You may be implying that if Hoff wasn't guarded by MSU's best defender he might have been able to take a shot. If so I could agree with that.

As has been pointed out in many posts on this board, other than Westbrook, we really haven't got a serious offensive threat (a Vincent Grier or a Bobby Jackson type not to say Lawrence is in their class) so putting the best on Hoff says Izzo was looking more at what Hoff WAS rather than what Hoff IS.

You may be implying that if Hoff wasn't guarded by MSU's best defender he might have been able to take a shot. If so I could agree with that.

Maybe if Hoff wasn't guarded by the best defenders on the other team, or maybe if he wasn't guarded so closely all the time, he'd get more open looks and be shooting much better - if one goes in many might go in. That said, I haven't seen us set nice screens for him in a while, nor have I seen him sprinting to open spots - it's usually just a jog from one point to another. I don't think he's trying hard enough on offense right now.

A guy who can penetrate and dish is more needed on this team.

We need a 3 point shooter? Are you kidding me? If you give consistent open looks to Devoe, Westbrook or Hoffarber their percentages frmo deep would go way up. They hardly get a good open look, with the ball coming from the interior. At the end of the game Al started driving during desperation time and the offense was a lot better...he should do that more often.

I think that we have a lot of 3pt shooters on this team but it looks like everyone is thinking to much about their shoot knowing if they missed they would be comming off or getting screamed at. Being a basketball play my self you know you will never be a good shooter if you are afraid to take a shoot

I think that we have a lot of 3pt shooters on this team but it looks like everyone is thinking to much about their shoot knowing if they missed they would be comming off or getting screamed at. Being a basketball play my self you know you will never be a good shooter if you are afraid to take a shoot

My own personal experience as a 3-point shooter is that I'm best at shooting when I know I have to. In other words, when my teammates are struggling, I own the court, because I know I have to be the one scoring. That's the mentality that Hoff is so desperately missing this year. He had that mentality last year.

i am really pysched about what this team can accomplish next year when we get a bit more personnel on the floor.
Still limited to only five players on the floor at any one time unless you're planning on revising the rules.

My son with Down Syndrome knows that, BNG.

Top Bottom