Strategically, do we...

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
Strategically, do we want to win today? Now, that SS has us as a lock to be in the tournament, I feel safe about getting in. We will probably be a #10, 11, or 12 seed after looking at different tournament brackets on B101, ESPN, and CBS.sportsline. So the question is, do we want to win today and improve our seed to an 8 or 9 and then have to face a #1 in the possible second round matchup? If we stay where we are now (according to the "experts"), we would have a much "easier" 2nd round game. I guess I don't have an opinion on this, just want others thoughts...

Well of course we want to win, but I totally see your point. Let's put it this way...I wouldn't be upset if we lost. We're square in the #10 seed right now. A win over MSU would move us up to a #8 seed...not exactly ideal.

However, if we win the whole BTT, then we could move to a #7 seed, but do you really think that's likely?

Strategically, do we want to win today? Now, that SS has us as a lock to be in the tournament, I feel safe about getting in. We will probably be a #10, 11, or 12 seed after looking at different tournament brackets on B101, ESPN, and CBS.sportsline. So the question is, do we want to win today and improve our seed to an 8 or 9 and then have to face a #1 in the possible second round matchup? If we stay where we are now (according to the "experts"), we would have a much "easier" 2nd round game. I guess I don't have an opinion on this, just want others thoughts...

YES we want to win today. First of all, we may be a 'lock' but not a 'stone cold led pipe lock.' I first and formost want to win to remove any doubts. Second, is there really any difference between playing '2' seed Oklahoma and '1' seed Louisville in the 2nd round? I'd rather play Louisville, in that example, and in any case you do realize we would be huge underdogs and probably won't win, right? I'd rather have the slightly easier first round game that comes in an 8/9 match-up rather then be in say a 6/11 match-up against a top 25 team.

Win. Always win. Win the tourney and get a 6 seed maybe. Then you can play an 11 rather than a 6. Win.

Just win baby! All the top teams have proved beatable at some point, and all have the ability to crush us. It doesn't matter, beat MSU!

Gotta vote for a win!

This is still a young team searching for confidence. For the long term, we need the experience of winning games against top teams, no matter how it comes. Beating MSU, and maybe others, in the B10 tourney will give us momentum and confidence heading into the Big Dance this year. It will also pay dividends next year and beyond.

Top Bottom