One Touted Indiana Recruit Bites the Dust.

Patterson was "Creaned" due to a scholarship crunch. This was no coincidence. Feel bad for the kid.

I hope this comes back to bite him in the a$$ with future recruits.

Tom Crean in entering borderline slimeball status.

Patterson was "Creaned" due to a scholarship crunch. This was no coincidence. Feel bad for the kid.

I hope this comes back to bite him in the a$$ with future recruits.

Tom Crean in entering borderline slimeball status.

Entering?????????????

First was Matt Roth, now it's Patterson..

Too bad they'll unperformed vs. expectations this season.

First let me start by saying I check this site daily, but am no insider and do not post as I just enjoy seeing gopher news and notes. Not into all the opinionated stuff. However, I feel the need to clear some stuff up on this as I am a rare Gopher fan in Indianapolis so I do actually have some first hand information.

I don't want to argue the Crean is a slimeball angle, as quite frankly I don't know the guy. I can tell you though, you are way off base when it comes to this situation. Patterson was a terrible student at Broad Ripple High School, and everyone associated with that school found it very odd that he would have any shot of academically qualifying at IU. He was given a conditional acceptance, with the idea he would go in front of a committee after his summer classes to see if IU truely was the academic place for him. He was told that a 2.0 GPA would be the minimum he could receive and even be considered. Unfortunately (and as a Gopher fan it isn't unfortunate but this kids background makes the whole situation unfortunate), Ron did not receive a 2.0. I have heard rumbling from people much more connected here that he was may have even been caught of academic misconduct.

While on the surface I had the same initial reaction that Patterson got "creaned", I have now come to realize that was not the case. Crean pushed hard for the conditional acceptance into IU, but both Crean and Patterson knew it was over when those grades came back.

Yes, the old conditional acceptance. Go ahead and enroll, take summer classes, etc. We'll decide based on a couple of summer courses over 8 weeks whether or not you've got the right stuff.

Happens all the time. :rolleyes:

Solves I4's scholarship problem for this season at least... and now maybe they can bring in the young boy who Crean was thinking about alot (sic). A whole lot.

(btw, thanks for posting - not discounting what you say... just not sold on that being the only angle to this.)

First let me start by saying I check this site daily, but am no insider and do not post as I just enjoy seeing gopher news and notes. Not into all the opinionated stuff. However, I feel the need to clear some stuff up on this as I am a rare Gopher fan in Indianapolis so I do actually have some first hand information.

I don't want to argue the Crean is a slimeball angle, as quite frankly I don't know the guy. I can tell you though, you are way off base when it comes to this situation. Patterson was a terrible student at Broad Ripple High School, and everyone associated with that school found it very odd that he would have any shot of academically qualifying at IU. He was given a conditional acceptance, with the idea he would go in front of a committee after his summer classes to see if IU truely was the academic place for him. He was told that a 2.0 GPA would be the minimum he could receive and even be considered. Unfortunately (and as a Gopher fan it isn't unfortunate but this kids background makes the whole situation unfortunate), Ron did not receive a 2.0. I have heard rumbling from people much more connected here that he was may have even been caught of academic misconduct.

While on the surface I had the same initial reaction that Patterson got "creaned", I have now come to realize that was not the case. Crean pushed hard for the conditional acceptance into IU, but both Crean and Patterson knew it was over when those grades came back.

Agree to disagree. It's only a matter of time for Tom Crean. His arrogance will catch up with him eventually. He illegally contacted Gary Harris (who eventually signed with MSU) at his school during a dead period and then bragged about it on Twitter saying he didn't care about the rule and broke it anyways. His Twitter flap a few weeks ago and his "Creaning" of players is not breaking any rules, but it will cost him down the road. Biggest d-bag in the B1G.

Well, it's pretty clear that Crean wasn't "thinking about Patterson a lot since last weekend".

Curiouser and curiouser.

I find it odd that he meets the NCAA requirements for admission, yet somehow can't muster a 2.0 GPA -when he knows he MUST get a 2.0 - during summer school (which should be one of the easiest times of the year for a basketball player to focus on school work), especially with all the academic support that is available to the high profile athletes.

Yes, the old conditional acceptance. Go ahead and enroll, take summer classes, etc. We'll decide based on a couple of summer courses over 8 weeks whether or not you've got the right stuff.

Happens all the time. :rolleyes:

Solves I4's scholarship problem for this season at least... and now maybe they can bring in the young boy who Crean was thinking about alot (sic). A whole lot.

(btw, thanks for posting - not discounting what you say... just not sold on that being the only angle to this.)

Wait a second...isn't this the same thing as the most recent "Buzzcut" at your little school (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...aylor-leaves-marquette-weeks-after-enrolling/)? It does happen all the time, specifically at programs like The Gold. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Nice pic in that article too. What a doosher.

No - not even close to the same situation or circumstances.

Of course it isn't. The Gold bring in a kid on a summer scholarship, try him out for 8 weeks to determine whether or not he has the right stuff. He didn't. He's gone. Buzzcut.

Solves The Gold's scholarship problem for this season at least (from the article):

Williams does have a track record here. He pulled DJ Newbill’s scholarship in July two summers ago and did the same thing three months ago to Aaron Durley to clear scholarship space for Trent Lockett. Losing Taylor means that Williams will be able to sign Kendrick Nunn this fall without having to worry about scholarship totals next summer.

I'd like to hear the mental gymnastics you go through to explain this away.

Top Bottom