Who will be the two BCS wild cards?

Rog

Reaction score
My guess is that it will be between:

1. Alabama or Florida

2. One from the Big 12 southern division

3. Ohio State.

The more I look at it, my wishful thinking of Ohio State doesn't look to good and sadly it still looks like "Detroit here we come"

Prove me wrong!!!!

There are 4 Wild Cards

One SEC
One Big 12
Utah
Ohio State

The only thing that will mess it up is Boise St.-mania. But if you are a BCS bowl, would you pass on the school with the largest alumni base in the country?

One SEC
One Big 12
Utah
Ohio State

The only thing that will mess it up is Boise St.-mania. But if you are a BCS bowl, would you pass on the school with the largest alumni base in the country?

only 1 is going to make it between Utah and Boise State. Utah is the most likely to make it.

There are ten TOTAL spots for five BCS bowl games. Here's how it should break down this year:

6 automatic bids go to BCS conference champs
1 goes to Utah automatically per BCS rules
1 at-large will go to Big 12 runnerup (TX or OU)
1 at-large will go to SEC runnerup (Ala or Fla)
1 at-large will go to Ohio State

This leaves Boise State out.

This puts the Gophers into Phoenix (Insight) or Orlando (Champs).

TJ Gopher...thanks for the breakdown.

And if Missouri beats Okl...that just bumps them out of the BCS and TX in...right?

I wonder when the last time 2 undefeated teams were left out of the big bowls....(Boise St and Ball State-assuming they win).

GM

If Missouri upsets Oklahoma, then Texas and Missouri will get BCS bids.

In the BCS era, there hasn't been a season where two teams finished undefeated didn't get a BCS bowl, although in 2004, we had the exact same situation we have this season, with Utah and Boise State both going undefeated. Utah got the Fiesta Bowl that year, and Boise went to the Liberty Bowl to play a 10-1 Conference USA team (Louisville).

Other undefeated teams shut out of the BCS were Tulane in 1998 and Marshall in 1999.

I would say if Oklahoma loses to Missouri that USC would jump up and be playing in the National Championship game since the committee doesn't like putting teams that don't win their conference championship in the national title game.

Yes

TJ Gopher...thanks for the breakdown.

And if Missouri beats Okl...that just bumps them out of the BCS and TX in...right?

I wonder when the last time 2 undefeated teams were left out of the big bowls....(Boise St and Ball State-assuming they win).

GM

Yes, Texas and Missouri would go to BCS bowls for the Big 12 instead of Texas and Oklahoma. Texas would likely get the nod for the BCS Championship and Missouri for the Fiesta Bowl. However, USC would lobby hard for the championship by pointing out that Texas didn't even win their conference.

The possibility even exists that Texas Tech could manage to jump Texas for the BCS because all of a sudden people would look more at that head-to-head with Oklahoma out of the picture. Given voters ignored TT this week and ignored Oklahoma/Texas head-to-head on a neutral field I think they would still put Texas in the championship.

I would say if Oklahoma loses to Missouri that USC would jump up and be playing in the National Championship game since the committee doesn't like putting teams that don't win their conference championship in the national title game.

Committee? You mean poll voters and computers? They did do it with Nebraska when Oklahoma lost to Kansas State in the Big 12 championship.

My money is that Texas still goes because the way that they got left out of the conference title game is stupid. They beat both Oklahoma and Missouri in the regular season.

Texas has a better win (Oklahoma or Ohio State, not to mention wins against Oklahoma State, Missouri and Kansas are more impressive than wins against Oregon and Cal) and a less humiliating loss (@ 11-1 Texas Tech is better than losing @ 8-4 Oregon State).

When you actually walk through the merits of both teams Texas has a much better resume.

Technically the loser of Alabama/Florida could be passed by the Sugar Bowl. Doubt they would though.

Yes I mean polls and computers. Thats my bad. I do agree that Texas definitely is the team that got screwed in this whole situation. There definitely needs to be a new system and this further shows that point. The big 12 definitely needs to rethink their tiebreaker system.

Top Bottom