UNC

We certainly know academic scandels around these parts. Certainly seems like a systemic problem at UNC over a 10 year period. Will be interesting to see what other information comes out in the future. Right now if you connect the dots, it looks really, really bad. Nothing concrete but I'd feel very nervous if I were a UNC fan (thank God I'm not). Possibly worse than our scandel. Not to mention there appears to be a partial coverup on UNC's part by drastically limiting their initial investigation.

Comments are very interesting. I am guessing a lot from rival ACC teams with a lot of hate and bile for UNC. What is the old saying, UNC did something wrong, Cleveland State better be nervous.

NCAA? What a joke.

Picking winners and losers.....

I disagree, Barn. Some people thought the NCAA would do nothing with Penn State, and look at what happened to PSU.

If there is anything to this UNC thing, I think the NCAA will lower the boom to show even the Power Schools who is running the ship.

Just my opinion, but I have one, and have shared it with you. Doc

p.s. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for the gavel to fall on Calipari and Kentucky.

I disagree, Barn. Some people thought the NCAA would do nothing with Penn State, and look at what happened to PSU.

If there is anything to this UNC thing, I think the NCAA will lower the boom to show even the Power Schools who is running the ship.

Just my opinion, but I have one, and have shared it with you. Doc

p.s. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for the gavel to fall on Calipari and Kentucky.

Doc, it will be another type of cheating with him since his students only had to take classes for one semester (lots of PEs). I am waiting for that moment too.

Go Gophers

Nice, maybe scratch one more school off the Tyus Jone's sweepstakes.

But I thought Vitale said UNC does things the right way?

The minutest credibility Vitale had with me went out the window when he started defending/butt-kissing Calipari. Sometimes he just needs to let his silence (a rarity) speak.

Since his championship, Slick Cal has become the "slice of the day" even with the cynical media (which for the most part has backed off their criticism of him), so Dukie V figured it was OK to hop aboard and stick his nose in the Slickster's hind quarters.

So if UNC gets away with this do us gopher fans get to have a legit beef with the NCAA, there are some differences, but it is similar to what Clem was doing, not saying what we did was right, but........

So if UNC gets away with this do us gopher fans get to have a legit beef with the NCAA, there are some differences, but it is similar to what Clem was doing, not saying what we did was right, but........

Can't defend Clem, but I've always said, Clem didn't invent that system. We may have been the ones caught, but we certainly weren't the only program doing it.

If what I've read is true bogus classes were created that students never attended, never studied for, and got a good grade, that is far worse than what Clem did.

The big difference is who runs the school. In the world of the Big 10, especially the top institutions ( Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, NW) academics and the academic prestige of the institution are #1. In the SEC, academic prestige seems to be priority #6 or so (excepting maybe Vandy).

For the ACC, the other academic-oriented conference, this should be a real litmus case for who runs the show. North Carolina is a very well-regarded academic research institute - considered by most to be a top 30 school in the U.S., and a top 15 public research institution. The lack of a Penn State style self examination is disturbing, whether or not the NCAA cracks down on them.

The big difference is who runs the school. In the world of the Big 10, especially the top institutions ( Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, NW) academics and the academic prestige of the institution are #1. In the SEC, academic prestige seems to be priority #6 or so (excepting maybe Vandy).

For the ACC, the other academic-oriented conference, this should be a real litmus case for who runs the show. North Carolina is a very well-regarded academic research institute - considered by most to be a top 30 school in the U.S., and a top 15 public research institution. The lack of a Penn State style self examination ( in academic realm) is ( extremely) disturbing, whether or not the NCAA cracks down on them.
We shouldn't be throwing stones from glass house. But I would like to say it is way more horrible than what happened at the U. As far as I remember, the U academic side was almost intact during that scandal. The same can't be said for UNC at this moment.

The UNC academic scandal is clearly worse than what happened at Minnesota. That being said, I don't expect the NCAA to get involved because it seemed the same "cake" classes were equally available to non-athletes (although it seems athletes were the only people actively being steered to the AA program - that is the one issue that may come back to bite them, if the UNC advisers knew these classes were bogus but only advised athletes to take the cake classes). This really tarnishes the academic reputation of UNC, but again, I just don't see how the NCAA is going to penalize the university for this since it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing they get involved with. Was there an advantage gained by UNC by its players having easier classes? Maybe a little, but there are easy classes everywhere, and that I think makes it hard to impose sanctions. Since the other kids could theoretically take them as well, I don't know how you could hammer UNC for this. It damages their reputation as a university, and they ought to fall in the university rankings just for this, but I just don't think there is much the NCAA will do. Theoretically the NCAA could punish any institution for unethical conduct, but I don't think this fits the bill of what they are looking to punish.

You can excuse a high school or college kid going on Twitter and making a fool of themselves-but what's with Doherty? A failed coach at his last two stops, mixing it up with rival fans from his alma mater? Skirting around the UNC scandal? I don't know why any AD would take a look at him, but I imagine ESPN is preparing to bring him in for a screen test, seeing as how he seems to fit into their ideal of a television personality these days.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21041599/report-unc-whistleblower-goes-public-claims-school-blatantly-tolerated-academic-cheating"]

Now there is a name.

Top Bottom