Happy with a 7 seed?

Not sure playing Saint Joseph's in their home city (Philly) would be ideal, but I'll take anything that has the Gophers as part of the tournament. ... ya' gotta' be in it to have a chance. Just ask VCU.

That said, we should expect this Gopher team, on paper (if healthy), to aspire to something higher than a #7 seed. A #5 or maybe even a #4 should be on their radar, I think.

I'd be happy with being able to watch Selection Sunday without being nervous as hell because we are on the bubble.

I'd be happy with a 5 seed which should be good if we get 5th in the conference.

Given the last 2 years, I'd be happy being nervous as hell on Selection Sunday!

A 7 seed would theoretically mean we were ranked 28-32 in the country. This team should be expected to be ranked in the top 25.

A 7 seed would theoretically mean we were ranked 28-32 in the country. This team should be expected to be ranked in the top 25.

Expected by who? They won 6 games in the B1G the last 2 years.

Lots of people.

I for one am worried about Mbakwe. He was injured on Nov 27th I think he's back for the start of Big 10 season at the earliest and that he won't be fully recovered until the middle to end of the Big 10. If it was just ligaments, I think he'd be OK by the start, but throw in the Microfracture on top and it's an injury that few come back from and regain 100% form.

And for the title of the thread...NO. I want a top 4 or 5 seed in a region. I am not happy with mediocrity like most Minnesota fans are.

Lots of people.

I for one am worried about Mbakwe. He was injured on Nov 27th I think he's back for the start of Big 10 season at the earliest and that he won't be fully recovered until the middle to end of the Big 10. If it was just ligaments, I think he'd be OK by the start, but throw in the Microfracture on top and it's an injury that few come back from and regain 100% form.

And for the title of the thread...NO. I want a top 4 or 5 seed in a region. I am not happy with mediocrity like most Minnesota fans are.

The guy is 23 years old. He'll be fine. He's not a 35 year old coming off his 2nd knee surgery. You're blowing this way out of proportion. This is 2012, not 1999. He'll be back by opening day.

Lots of people.

First of all, it bugs me when people say this. How many people here do you hear saying, "I'd be cool with anywhere between 7 and 9 wins, and as long as the coach can do that consistently, give him a lifetime contract."? Just because we haven't excelled in football or basketball in quite awhile doesn't mean everyone is okay with it.

Second, I'm pretty sure Mbakwe is expected back by the time the season begins, he has said that he is steadily regaining confidence in his leg, and he can make contact and run and jump I think, plus there's still nearly 3 months until the start of basketball season. Robbie Hummel still managed to make consensus First Team All Big Ten last season after his injury, so I have confidence that Trevor will be okay.

As to the thread topic, as station19 mentioned earlier, a 7 seed in theory puts in the 28-32 range, and I think the team will be top 25 by the time the season ends, and for most, if not all, of the course of the season. We could be potentially flirting with a 4 seed, hoping for at least a 6.

Other Big Ten teams:
Indiana - 1
Michigan - 2
Michigan State - 2
Wisconsin - 3
Ohio State - 4
Purdue - 12

As far as teams making the tournament, I would agree with having Minnesota plus the other 6, with the potential for one of Iowa, Northwestern, or Illinois to make it. I don't see Wisconsin as a 3 seed though, but it is a sign of how strong our conference will be that the 4th place team would get a 3 seed, and that 3 teams would get a top 2 seed.

This is a year where Minnesota should set their sights high. Something in the 2-4 seed range should be the goal. A #7 seed would be a disappointment.

I feel that Lunardi has undervalued the Gophers as well as a couple other teams (NC State, IMO, will be a #1 seed, and I also would have Missouri higher than #6). There are a couple overvalued as well (I don't see Kentucky as a #1 and I think a #4 is probably the best-case scenario for them; North Carolina won't be a #3 seed, either). Other than the Gophers I think he has each team in the Big Ten about right overall (maybe Michigan is bit high at a #2 seed since they were a #4 last year and lost two key players). But if I were going to pick a 7th team from the B1G, I would go for Iowa or Northwestern over Purdue. Illinois is also in better shape than Purdue, IMO.

It's not easy to say that I wouldn't be happy just making the dance with our recent history (9th in the B1G...twice) .... but man, I'm disappointed that the guy with the crystal ball is telling us that at the end of the season we'll only be a 7 seed. I hope we're higher and I think we'll be higher. I'm as optimistic about what this team is capable of more than any other Gopher team in my short life (minus the '97 team). We haven't proven jack yet in Tubby's tenure here so I guess I can't blame Lunardi. My guess.... 5 seed.

This team should be ranked in the top25 consistently this season. There are not many teams that don't return every meaningful starter and not make marked progress.

I'd be happy with being able to watch Selection Sunday without being nervous as hell because we are on the bubble.

+1. 'Happy with' is a relative term. If you give me a 7 seed right now, I take it. I think this team is better than that, but the Ghost of Jan Gangelhoff is always with us.

Every meaningful starter from a 6-12 B1G team. I think they will be much better, but not consistent enough to stay in the top 25 through the conference schedule. A 7 seed is about what I would project.

Mbakwe has clearly stated he'll be ready for the season. Heck, he could be ready in a month. However he will play with a brace to start the season. And I believe the gophers will end up with a 6 seed come selection Sunday. 4 at best. They set themselves up so much better to win in the tournament the higher seed they get (duhhh) so they have to make sure they set themselves up to get a high seed in the tournament if they have aspirations of getting to the round of 32 or sweet 16.

No expert is always right, Lunardi is no different, but he isn't even a real expert when it comes to evaluating teams, he just does the brackets and evaluates resumes. This is just a wild guess.

I tried looking up his past brackets in the preseason with no luck, perhaps that would be a good reference. But I was able to find his preseason predictions for the 2011 season, he picked Gonzaga to win the National Championship over Michigan State (neither team won more than a game in the 2011 tournament), and his "bold" prediction was that a #16 seed would beat a #1 seed in the 2011 tournament (another clunker). Out of the 10 "experts" that ESPN had pick the Big Ten champion in the preseason of the 2011 season, only one out of the 10 had the right answer (with 8 of the 10 picking a Michigan State team that went on to lose 15 games, finish tied for 4th and get a #10 seed). While the 2011 Final Four was a bit of an odd blend, there wasn't a single expert out of the 10 who picked a single Final Four team accurately in the preseason (they went a combined 0 for 40). Obviously, there is not a high degree of reliability to the "expert" predictions in the preseason. Lunardi's seeds are far from gospel at this point.

A trip down memory lane:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2010/news/story?id=5795399

No expert is always right, Lunardi is no different, but he isn't even a real expert when it comes to evaluating teams, he just does the brackets and evaluates resumes. This is just a wild guess.

I tried looking up his past brackets in the preseason with no luck, perhaps that would be a good reference. But I was able to find his preseason predictions for the 2011 season, he picked Gonzaga to win the National Championship over Michigan State (neither team won more than a game in the 2011 tournament), and his "bold" prediction was that a #16 seed would beat a #1 seed in the 2011 tournament (another clunker). Out of the 10 "experts" that ESPN had pick the Big Ten champion in the preseason of the 2011 season, only one out of the 10 had the right answer (with 8 of the 10 picking a Michigan State team that went on to lose 15 games, finish tied for 4th and get a #10 seed). While the 2011 Final Four was a bit of an odd blend, there wasn't a single expert out of the 10 who picked a single Final Four team accurately in the preseason (they went a combined 0 for 40). Obviously, there is not a high degree of reliability to the "expert" predictions in the preseason. Lunardi's seeds are far from gospel at this point.

A trip down memory lane:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2010/news/story?id=5795399

7th seed.... No - not happy with that. I wouldn't say- wow we really overachieved or maxed out what we have. I'd say we did okay. If we expect to compete for an upcoming banner class of local recruits we need to do better than a 7 seed.
I wouldn't be upset with Tubby, but I wouldn't be impressed either.

I am not happy with mediocrity like most Minnesota fans are.

You hear that sound? That's the sound of me making the biggest eye roll you've ever seen.

Every meaningful starter from a 6-12 B1G team. I think they will be much better, but not consistent enough to stay in the top 25 through the conference schedule. A 7 seed is about what I would project.

The voice of reason throughout this thread. It's amazing how many people expect to be able to run before we can even walk.

You hear that sound? That's the sound of me making the biggest eye roll you've ever seen.

I guess that's better than the sight of the biggest laugh-fest he's ever smelled.

Projected into the field, and on Gophers' schedule

Currently 14 of the Gophers' 30/31 opponents (1 or 2 non-B1G opponents still TBD) are projected into Lunardi's NCAA tourney bracket:

Duke
Florida State
Indiana (2)
Memphis/VCU
Michigan
Michigan State (2)
Ohio State (2)
Purdue
South Dakota State
Wisconsin (2)

That number could grow to 15 if the Gophers plays Louisville, Mizzou or Northern Iowa in Round 3 in the Bahamas.

Currently 13 of the Gophers' 30/31 opponents (1 or 2 non-B1G opponents still TBD) are projected into Lunardi's NCAA tourney bracket:

Indiana (2)
Michigan State (2)
Ohio State (2)
Wisconsin (2)
Duke
Florida State
Michigan
Purdue
South Dakota State

That number could grow to 15 depending on who the Gophers get in Rounds 2 & 3 in the Bahamas. ... Louisville, Memphis, Mizzou, Northern Iowa and/or VCU.

Can you compare that ratio with some other teams that have a senior laden, experienced team?

Can you compare that ratio with some other teams that have a senior laden, experienced team?

Certainly. If you tell me the names of some other teams you consider senior ladened & experienced, I'd be glad to do the comparison once their schedules are completed. Within reason, of course. If you could keep the list to 10-15 teams, that would be great. It would be an interesting comparison.

Certainly. If you tell me the names of some other teams you consider senior ladened & experienced, I'd be glad to do the comparison once their schedules are completed. Within reason, of course. If you could keep the list to 10-15 teams, that would be great. It would be an interesting comparison.

Wisconsin, duke, indiana, and Kansas please. I would like to see the type of schedule that some of the top programs play plus the schedule that a couple great big ten programs play.

IU schedule isn't finalized.

Duke (31 games) has 13 games vs. teams Lunardi currently projects into his field of 68. ... Davidson, Florida State, Kentucky, Memphis/VCU, Miami-Florida (2), Minnesota, North Carolina (2), NC State (2), Ohio State, and Temple. ... with the potential for 1 more (Louisville/Missouri/Northern Iowa).

Wisconsin (31 games) has 13 games vs. teams Lunardi currently projects into his bracket. ... Cal, Creighton, Florida, Indiana, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan State (2), Minnesota (2), Ohio State (2), and Purdue.

Kansas (31 games) has 11 games vs. teams Lunardi currently projects into his bracket. ... Baylor (2), Iowa State (2), Kansas State (2), Michigan State, Ohio State, Temple, and Texas (2). ... with the potential for 1 more (Saint Louis).

we have 14 and as long as we don't get stanford in the third game of the battle of Atlantis 15, ten in conference and four or five non conference for now, holding out hope for a marquee match up at the barn or at the Xcel/target center

Top Bottom