Marquette may have committed NCAA rules violation involving men's basketball

Will we hear from GW on this thread?

Sure - not much to say at this point. It's selective news sharing. If every violation (and it's not clear there even is a violation in this matter) was reported in the same manner, you could spend hours each day reading about them.

To put in context, the Big Ten schools report well over an average of 200 secondary violations PER YEAR with about 20 of those coming from Big Ten basketball programs.

(Bleed must hate MU ;))

I'm guessing there is only a 2% chance this is true.

Another quality post from Dr. Don!!!! Those who throw stones.....

Since you apparently don't like GW's articles, when are you going to start writing some?

Another quality post from Dr. Don!!!! Those who throw stones.....

Since you apparently don't like GW's articles, when are you going to start writing some?

I would say your post is more useless.

Sure - not much to say at this point. It's selective news sharing. If every violation (and it's not clear there even is a violation in this matter) was reported in the same manner, you could spend hours each day reading about them.

To put in context, the Big Ten schools report well over an average of 200 secondary violations PER YEAR with about 20 of those coming from Big Ten basketball programs.

(Bleed must hate MU ;))

What are your thoughts on all the rapes (plural) that have been committed by Gold athletes under Buzz's watchful eye? Is that as commonplace at Big Ten schools?

Who does like them?

His articles are dull and full of useless recycled information with a hint of “I’m not even a Gophers fan” added in.

Before gW started posting I never thought too much about Marquette one way or another. I now find myself rooting against them because he is so annoying.

Before gW started posting I never thought too much about Marquette one way or another. I now find myself rooting against them because he is so annoying.

I loved Al McGuire so have always had good feelings towards Marquette. As in many matters I am in the minority because I enjoy GW's posts and the ire they arouse in so many.

Jamalo, All I did was pose a simple question immediately following the OP. No judgement, no opinion, just a simple question. It had nothing to do with whether or not I like GW's posts, because some I do, some I don't. So, after a quiet spell from you, you have jumped my ass on three different threads. Now you are back, so I am assuming you were released from parole finally.

You know, this was not the run-of-the-mill secondary violation as GW portrayed it to be, because an assistant coach was fired over it. It may have started out as fairly minor, but it turned into something significant.

But in the debate about how minor it is, I can remember OSU being penalized pretty harshly for giving a player a nylon gym bag and a dinner at Damon's (an average local restaurant right next to campus). The player was Damon Flint, he had signed with OSU, but then the NCAA ruled that he was ineligible to play for OSU following the violation. What happened is right after a campus visit with Flint, his coaches and some of his HS teammates (3 of them is my guess), an OSU assistant coach gave the player's high school coach $60 to pay for a meal they just ate and transportation costs, and then gave the coach four nylon gym bags for the players. That was not considered a major violation, but Head Coach Randy Ayers was prevented from engaging in off-campus recruiting and his salary was frozen. OSU was put on a year of probation. Flint went on to play for Cincinnati. Interestingly, an assistant coach from Flint's high school that accompanied him on that trip, Mick Cronin, was promoted to video coordinator at Cincinnati right afterward (3 guesses who reported the violations to the NCAA).

If the NCAA was consistent, wouldn't the NCAA now make this player (whoever it is - perhaps Duane Wilson?) ineligible to play for Marquette if they have the same standards now? Perhaps Marquette should get a year of probation as well.

You know, this was not the run-of-the-mill secondary violation as GW portrayed it to be, because an assistant coach was fired over it. It may have started out as fairly minor, but it turned into something significant.

But in the debate about how minor it is, I can remember OSU being penalized pretty harshly for giving a player a nylon gym bag and a dinner at Damon's (an average local restaurant right next to campus). The player was Damon Flint, he had signed with OSU, but then the NCAA ruled that he was ineligible to play for OSU following the violation. What happened is right after a campus visit with Flint, his coaches and some of his HS teammates (3 of them is my guess), an OSU assistant coach gave the player's high school coach $60 to pay for a meal they just ate and transportation costs, and then gave the coach four nylon gym bags for the players. That was not considered a major violation, but Head Coach Randy Ayers was prevented from engaging in off-campus recruiting and his salary was frozen. OSU was put on a year of probation. Flint went on to play for Cincinnati. Interestingly, an assistant coach from Flint's high school that accompanied him on that trip, Mick Cronin, was promoted to video coordinator at Cincinnati right afterward (3 guesses who reported the violations to the NCAA).

If the NCAA was consistent, wouldn't the NCAA now make this player (whoever it is - perhaps Duane Wilson?) ineligible to play for Marquette if they have the same standards now? Perhaps Marquette should get a year of probation as well.

Are you always this creative with your imagination or just on the weekends, my friend?

tOSU admitted to 17 violations with regard to Flint, many of them directly committed by their head coach. Their 'problems' with the NCAA surrounding Flint began through an anonymous snitch, not through the fine administration who also hired and supported Jim Tressel.

MU's termination of Monarch's employment was a school decision. If kid A does a bad thing, but gets a big time punishment from his parents... and kid B does a far worse thing, but gets little punishment from his parents... does that mean what kid A did is more significant? Or did his parents simply hold him more accountable?

There are no good excuses here for what the staff assistant did in this matter - but to make things up and then attempt to compare them to the many Damon Flint violations says a lot.

You make fun of me now, but what happens if the NCAA gives Marquette a year of probation? You think it's over just because Marquette fired an assistant coach, took away an official visit and suspended Buzz for a game? The NCAA still has to weigh in. I feel the situations are comparable, and that Marquette could easily get a year of probation over this. You have your opinion, I have mine. I didn't make anything up. You have a member of the Marquette staff committing NCAA violations with providing extra benefits to a recruitable student athlete. That is serious, even probation-worthy in my opinion.

Top Bottom