New ESPN recruiting rankings. Minnesota recruits ranked high!

mnsports255

Banned
Reaction score
2013) Kyle Washington- #66 recruit
2014) Tyus Jones- #2 recruit
2014) Rashad Vaughn- #12 recruit
2014) Reid Travis- #31 recruit

*I feel it would be appropriate to add gopher freshman Wally Ellenson's younger brother Henry.
2015) Henry Ellenson- #23 recruit

Goal- if Tubby can come out of this and get 2 of these guys to commit, I would consider that a success.
PREDICT- which of these recruits will end up at the "U"?

We've been discussing this in all of the individual player threads.

Kyle Washington, Rashad Vaughn, and Henry Ellenson will be Gophers.

That's just my honest, down to earth prediction. I think Reid Travis has a good shot of playing for us too, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling him when I put together my list.

Honestly though, I think if Rashad commits early (which it sounds like he is planning for an earlyish commitment), then that puts pressure on Tyus to stay home. A LOT of pressure. If we miss out on Vaughn, then we can kiss Tyus goodbye too.

That's just my honest, down to earth prediction. I think Reid Travis has a good shot of playing for us too, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling him when I put together my list.

Honestly though, I think if Rashad commits early (which it sounds like he is planning for an earlyish commitment), then that puts pressure on Tyus to stay home. A LOT of pressure. If we miss out on Vaughn, then we can kiss Tyus goodbye too.

This isn't the first time I've heard that Rashad is a Gopher lean.. regardless, if we land him.. that really takes some pressure off and makes it easier to sell other top prospects like Travis (still not getting hopes up for Tyus) and others. Heck, a dream scenario would be to get Rashad to verbal soon, thus helping out the 2013 class.. but I'll take him, whether now or in 18 months.

We need either Jones or Vaughn.. How about both? I would consider us lucky to get one. Question I have is, if Jones did commit does that open the floodgates as far as the others gong to the U? Think the answer would probably be yes. The effect of Jones staying home would be a program changer for years to come. .

First things first. This NEEDS to be a good year for the Gophers. If it happens, and I think the pieces are in place, it will be much easier to get some of these kids.

But again, this MUST be Tubby's best year at the U.

The Gophs can "recruit" or make offers to every kid in the country. The real question is whether any of those 'highly-rated' recruits will wind up committing to the Gophers.

Being an admitted Tubby skeptic, I will believe it when it see it. If the Gophs land 1 of the players listed above, I'll be pleasantly surprised. From everything I've read, the chances of landing Jones are very low. Vaughn might be the best chance to land a quality local recruit.

I'd love to be optimistic, but my gut tells me otherwise.

The Gophs can "recruit" or make offers to every kid in the country. The real question is whether any of those 'highly-rated' recruits will wind up committing to the Gophers.

Being an admitted Tubby skeptic, I will believe it when it see it. If the Gophs land 1 of the players listed above, I'll be pleasantly surprised. From everything I've read, the chances of landing Jones are very low. Vaughn might be the best chance to land a quality local recruit.

I'd love to be optimistic, but my gut tells me otherwise.

Because he has a big track record of letting in-state talent leave?

Honest question: why do so many people presume that Jones staying here would cause several other players to commit here? Did the "floodgates open" when Przybilla, Humphries, Rickert, White, etc. committed here? Is it because he's a PG?

I haven't kept up on Rashad Vaughn's recruitment too closely, but I've always had the impression he wanted to play somewhere other than Minnesota. But like I've said, I haven't read anything about him in a month or so (been mostly following football). Hopefully I'm wrong.

I believe if Vaughn or Tyus commit here early enough, it would help the other make the decision to stay here. If we got all three of those recruits in 2014, that would be amazing. Instant top 15 program (if we aren't there by that point already :p)

Honest question: why do so many people presume that Jones staying here would cause several other players to commit here? Did the "floodgates open" when Przybilla, Humphries, Rickert, White, etc. committed here? Is it because he's a PG?

Partially because Tyus is such a facilities other players love playing with unselfish yet great players like that. Also there were no flood gates to be opened back in the late '90s early 2000's like you were referencing. The recruits in the span of 2013-2015 are incomparably huge.

Prediction- Rashad Vaughn, Henry Ellenson, and Reid Travis go to the "U".

No one thinks we have much chance at Washington? Or are you all skipping ahead to 2014? He's a huge need in my opinion.

I haven't kept up on Rashad Vaughn's recruitment too closely, but I've always had the impression he wanted to play somewhere other than Minnesota. But like I've said, I haven't read anything about him in a month or so (been mostly following football). Hopefully I'm wrong.

I believe if Vaughn or Tyus commit here early enough, it would help the other make the decision to stay here. If we got all three of those recruits in 2014, that would be amazing. Instant top 15 program (if we aren't there by that point already :p)

I've talked to many people who say Rashad has always had a slight lean towards the gophers. Watch his latest video with the Iowa and Wisconsin media it's obvious he slightly favored Minnesota in his schools he was interested in.

No one thinks we have much chance at Washington? Or are you all skipping ahead to 2014? He's a huge need in my opinion.

Now on the other hand I don't have much confidence in Kyle Washington to Minnesota. He seems to have favorited Wisconsin and Notre Dame IMO. Plus he's from BSM and the type of players from that school aren't the type to go to the "U". They go to very high academic colleges.

I've talked to many people who say Rashad has always had a slight lean towards the gophers. Watch his latest video with the Iowa and Wisconsin media it's obvious he slightly favored Minnesota in his schools he was interested in.

Good to hear! Thanks mnsports. I probably should have read through the Rashad Vaughn thread but was semi lazy.

Ahhh, were any of those stiffs the #2 ranked recruit in the country....I think not. Try again pls.

Vaughn only. ellenson to g-town. Travis following bro and jones to duke

My Picks

Jones, Vaughn, Travis and the next year Ellenson and Illikainen.

I saw Reid Travis at the Gopher Football scrimmage on Friday he's probably a bit taller than 6'6. That leads me to believe that he could still be thinking about football over basketball.

Not really following you here.

Yeah I was in a rush, sorry. Not saying that his height has anything to do with him at the scrimmage I was just trying to say he looks closer to 6'7 (worded poorly).

It was just interesting that he was at the fall scrimmage, I don't know him at all does anybody know if he is a football or basketball lean?

Yeah I was in a rush, sorry. Not saying that his height has anything to do with him at the scrimmage I was just trying to say he looks closer to 6'7 (worded poorly).

It was just interesting that he was at the fall scrimmage, I don't know him at all does anybody know if he is a football or basketball lean?

Guy on ESPN1500 said he imagined he was a basketball lean since his potential is much higher.

He also said he thought Tyus was going to Ohio State (which as of now is absolutely not the case), so he is clueless in my book.

Actually I think I may have interpreted it wrong. I thought you were saying you thought he was a football lean simply because he seems taller than 6'6". I read it again and realize you probably meant because he was at the Gopher football scrimmage. My bad.

If Tubby Smith misses on Vaughn and Tyus, he should be fired. To me, it would be inexcusable for him to miss on two of the top high school prospects the state has seen over the last 10 years. On the other hand, if he lands Vaughn and Tyus he should be commended greatly. That would be a HUGE shot in the arm for a meddling program. Honestly, I think getting 1 of 2 (Vaughn/Jones) should be considered a success though. Vaughn is a 5* prospect according to Scout.com and a consensus top 75 recruit for 2014.

Top Bottom