Trey Lyles Decommits ...

The kid was obviously jealous that Tom Crean hadn't been "thinking about [him] alot since last weekend".

Supposedly this decommit has to do with IU being an Adidas school and Lyles wanting to go the Nike route. Jeff Goodman reported that sources indicated Kentucky and Syracuse were partly behind Lyles decommitting.

Supposedly this decommit has to do with IU being an Adidas school and Lyles wanting to go the Nike route.

I'm someone who can really get into the looks of jerseys and stuff like that and am a humongous Nike backer... but if this was really a major factor then that is just ridiculous IMO.

I'm someone who can really get into the looks of jerseys and stuff like that and am a humongous Nike backer... but if this was really a major factor then that is just ridiculous IMO.

I remember hearing something similar with Shabazz Muhammad's choice to go to UCLA. here is an article about it. I'm with you though, I just don't get it.

Supposedly this decommit has to do with IU being an Adidas school and Lyles wanting to go the Nike route. Jeff Goodman reported that sources indicated Kentucky and Syracuse were partly behind Lyles decommitting.

That's too bad, but it sounds about right. Most of the rumors floating around are that there is little chance of Lyles re-committing to IU. It sounds like IU's other highly regarded 2014 commit (Blackmon?) will also be de-committing soon. That would be quite a blow to IU, as they had a great start to their 2014 class.

What's not to get? The shoe company/their handlers build relationships with the player/their family/their AAU team, support them in various ways, and then encourage the player to attend a school their company sponsors. I'm sure to some extent the choice of a school that is partly based on the shoe company is with the hopes of the player landing an endorsement deal with the shoe company when the kid turns pro. Like Gary Parrish said in the article, the shoe company influence does have an impact in the decisions of some of the top prospects pretty much every year. I know Malik Hairston (a 5-star recruit from Detroit back in 2004) went to Oregon partly because of their strong Nike ties and the expectation that it could help him get an endorsement deal when he turned pro - he didn't turn out to be much of a pro, and I doubt he got an endorsement deal with Nike, but you'd be naive if you didn't think the prospect of a potential endorsement deal in the future wouldn't have any influence on a kid's decision.

What's sick in all of this is Crean quickly tweeting that he thinks that "more and more people never stop recruiting other school's pledges". Inappropriate, but par for the Crean course.

If you court eighth graders and get them to say they'll join you in 4 years, they just might want to reconsider at some point for any number of reasons -- even if It's Indiana, It's Indiana!!!

Can't imagine the reaction if Blackmon reopens as well.

What's sick in all of this is Crean quickly tweeting that he thinks that "more and more people never stop recruiting other school's pledges". Inappropriate, but par for the Crean course.

How is that inappropriate?

How is that inappropriate?

He's inferring that another program(s) did dishonorable things in order to cause Lyles to withdraw his commitment to I4. That's inappropriate for a coach to do on Twitter.

It's passive aggressive pansy crap. Taking a "shot" at other programs on Twitter to explain why something negative happened "to" your program is weak.

The comment by itself is fine - the timing, method and intent is what is soft.

Top Bottom