Sid: Gophers only in because Tubby is coach

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
This guy is a f'ing fool. Nice for the players to read this garbage.

"No reflection on former coach Dan Monson, but if he were coaching this team, the Gophers would not have any chance of making it to the NCAA tournament, even with the same record.

But since the coach is Tubby Smith, the president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and a man with a great career record, the committee might need to fill a hole here or there, and the Gophers might and -- I still say might -- get a shot at playing one game."

cut the geezer some slack..

"No reflection on former coach Dan Monson, but if he were coaching this team, the Gophers would not have any chance of making it to the NCAA tournament, even with the same record.

But since the coach is Tubby Smith, the president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and a man with a great career record, the committee might need to fill a hole here or there, and the Gophers might and -- I still say might -- get a shot at playing one game."

... he is after all 120 years old! Lets see how much sense you and I make at his age! :)

what is wrong with some of the media in this town?!

i don't think old man sid took his meds today. seriously folks. what in the F is wrong with the media in this town? and why is it that some of them seem to hold against the gopher program in general? i swear these guys can not win one way or the other with some of these hacks.

i hope that half the sports hacks collecting a paycheck at newspapers, tv and radio in minneapolis get "wiped out" of a job in this economy soon and they bring in some people who are not just gopher bashers soley in an attempt to drum up their meager ratings and/or internet clicks on news websites.

you all know who you are. you pathetic pieces of garbage. and you call yourself journalists, reporters, personalities. please!

... he is after all 120 years old! Lets see how much sense you and I make at his age! :)

why is that always the response in this town? oh just cut so and so some slack. please!! perhaps their editors should actually read what some of these hacks write before they allow it to be published or aired on tv/radio.

i frankly i am sick and tired of the negativty in this town. as i believe rick pitino once said: "the negativity in this town sucks!"

Sadly, (those) like Sid Hartman will be the ones to keep their jobs in this economy. He is classless, uninformed, and a laughing stock amongst 99% of twin cities sports fans. I'd love to run this ***** out of town!

Pete, you missed Sid's opening quote:

"even though they won't beat Michigan State in today's quarterfinals, there might be an outside chance they get an NCAA tournament bid."

sid will probably tell you that he is "close personal friends" with the selection committee chair mike slive as well. sure sidney. sure. :clap:

Add Myron to the Tool Academy. Yesterday he and his ex-Northwestern BB player co-host named Tricia both picked NU to win. Myron said NU is a team of destiny and they will end up in the Big Dance. Myron picked MSU to beat NU in the 2nd round of the BTT. Go figure.

Add Myron to the Tool Academy. Yesterday he and his ex-Northwestern BB player co-host named Tricia both picked NU to win. Myron said NU is a team of destiny and they will end up in the Big Dance. Myron picked MSU to beat NU in the 2nd round of the BTT. Go figure.

Ha! That's funny Goldy's Army. Myron is a two-bit hack who has had a negative slant to his coverage this entire year for some reason. He should be writing high school basketball stories for the Sun newspapers, instead the Star Tribune went on the cheap and gave him a job he is grossly unqualified for.

Sid ? You want to listen to a couple of idiots report on the Gophers ? Try Barreiro and whoever the schmuck is with him on KFAN.

Classics today during the drive home .. Damian Westbrook, couldn't remember Damians last name, countless ramblings about their tournament status and they couldn't get in without beating Mich St tomorrow, Wondering if Hoffarber is a sophmore or junior, talking about the incoming recruiting class and not have a CLUE about who they were and then commenting on the game when it was clear they didn't even watch it ! Oh my God. I've never actually been tempted to call in to a show but I found myself waiting for them to announce the number. What a couple of complete fools that present themselves as " experts " on our sporting scene.

Sid ? You want to listen to a couple of idiots report on the Gophers ? Try Barreiro and whoever the schmuck is with him on KFAN.

Classics today during the drive home .. Damian Westbrook, couldn't remember Damians last name, countless ramblings about their tournament status and they couldn't get in without beating Mich St tomorrow, Wondering if Hoffarber is a sophmore or junior, talking about the incoming recruiting class and not have a CLUE about who they were and then commenting on the game when it was clear they didn't even watch it ! Oh my God. I've never actually been tempted to call in to a show but I found myself waiting for them to announce the number. What a couple of complete fools that present themselves as " experts " on our sporting scene.

that would be joe nelson who is dan's co-host on KFAN when he is not busy "sucking dan off".

talk about a two-bit hack. joe nelson is right up there with myron medcalf and reusse.

Absolutely agree. Gopher basketball is definitely the ugly step child in the MN radio sports scene. It's obscene that these idiots on KFAN want to talk about Vikings football all morning instead of the must-win game for the Gophs today.

that would be joe nelson who is dan's co-host on KFAN when he is not busy "sucking dan off".

talk about a two-bit hack. joe nelson is right up there with myron medcalf and reusse.

Ummm, Joe Anderson is Burrito's sidekick...Joe Nelson is the producer.

This quite possibly could be Sid's worst column ever. He says MSU lost at home to Wisconsin and an "ordinary" Duke team. When did those happen?

He says Kevin Love recorded his 20th 20-20 double double....WTF is that?

Hopefully his editor gets a hold of that article before it hits the print edition. How does this guy continue to be employed??

This quite possibly could be Sid's worst column ever. He says MSU lost at home to Wisconsin and an "ordinary" Duke team. When did those happen?

Hopefully his editor gets a hold of that article before it hits the print edition. How does this guy continue to be employed??

joe anderson, joe nelson.....either way they are both scandinavian f-ucks and they both "suck dan off". dubay was the only semi-decent personality on that station and we all know what happened to him unfortunately.

Both the radio and print media in Minneapolis are scarily below par for a state with 5+ million people...

Sid is right, being the President of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and having a great career record are the only things a team needs to get off of the bubble and into the NCAA.

Sincerely,

Jim Boeheim, circa 2007 and 2008

PS - Boeheim has been to three Final Fours, has won a national title, and has about 350 more career wins than Tubby. But, sure, Sid, Tubby being Prez of the NABC will what the committee looks at. Geez.

Nope, it's all in there. This column is so ridiculous. Does this paper have an editor? Or are they just trying to make Sid look bad?

Myron also said in his story, we would have been in the NIT had we lost. Probably, but that definitely wasn't for sure and he said it like some kind of fact.

Myron is a reflection of the economic problems the strib is having. They can't afford a real writer. Honestly, they should use his columns in high school English classes for the "word hunt" of writing ineptitude. As someone who does a lot of writing for my profession, I literally (pun intended) cannot read his articles anymore.

And for those who give Sid a pass due to his age, he hasn't changed his tune in over 50 years.

One more for Barreiro .... I think if was on Wed, he was talking about how the NCAA is going to try to keep teams close to home for the tourney because of the ecomomy....So with that in mind, he goes on and on about how that could mean the Gophers could be playing in the Dome (along with N Iowa-NDSU-Marquette-Wisc) .... He had no clue (nor did his sidekick Joe Anderson) that the NCAA has rules in place preventing a 'home court advantage' for a true local team. They would rather talk Vikings every day all year long, but when 'forced' they'll attempt to have a Gopher discussion but it's clear the Gophers aren't even on their radar.

Reusse said almost verbatim on the radio what was in Sid's column this morning. It is almost like Reusse got ahold of Sid's computer and did his column for him.

I don't like Reusse at all, but I feel sorry for Sid. At one time (about 20 years ago) Sid was still alright. Now he is just out of it. He can't do his job effectively any more. He needs to be done. He is a legend, but he needs to be done. Those "geniuses" over there need to make that happen.

About the only thing Sid has going for him is that when people pass him good rumors. He's just too out of touch to provide worthwhile analysis.

Been reading Sid for 50 years and I don't ever recall him offering worthwhile "analysis" on any subject. His last scoop was "Bud Grant Quits" and that was spoon fed to him more than 25 years ago. His column hasn't ever been relevant to any readers 30 or younger.

Been reading Sid for 50 years and I don't ever recall him offering worthwhile "analysis" on any subject. His last scoop was "Bud Grant Quits" and that was spoon fed to him more than 25 years ago. His column hasn't ever been relevant to any readers 30 or younger.

exactly. they don't have a sports columnist over there who is relevant to any readers 35 or younger and there in lies their problem. the only people who seem to enjoy the crap that reusse, chad hartman, sid, souhan spew is the baby boomer and older crowd.

oh and no offense to baby boomers! my parents belong to your sorry lot! :D

Myron is unreadable. It's painful, and embarrassing for the city. He doesn't seem to understand even the basic rules of syntax and grammar, to say nothing of the fact he has no ear for language. These are problems in any professional line of work. But he's a freakin' writer!

Sid really loved his "close personal friend" Dan Monson. All Gopher coaches have kissed Sid's behind and been his "close personal friend". Tubby doesn't see the need. Instead the national media loves him.

I think Roy C. hit it on the head; sometime recently, someone in the Gopher basketball program, perhaps Tubby or an assistant didn't give Sid the access, a story, an interview or something along that line and Sid broke out the poison pen. Sid is a team/program/coach/or player's best friend, as long as he has all the access he wants. His rant reads like a petulant reaction to being snubbed somehow (snubbed in his mind).

I recall a few years ago, I was listening to the Sports Huddle and it was during baseball season. They were trying to get a Twins player on the show and were having no success. Sid lashed out at the team, pilloring all the players as ungrateful s.o.b's (words to that effect) Corey Koskie called in shortly thereafter and the lovefest was renewed.

The ugly joke that is the Strib continues. Sid's gotten to the point where he can't even get facts right. Same with Burrito. Hard to believe that after all those years of being involved with sports and writing for the Strib, he doesn't know NCAA rules about tournament regional sites....:eek:

Maybe he's trying to use passive aggressive means to show where the Gophers basketball team ranks in the pecking order. If that's the case, then he's simply completely unprofessional. If not, he's just not good at his job. Either way, its a mess.

As for Reusse, it's the same old story..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom