No crowd energy at Williams Arena. It's a PROBLEM!

mnsports255

Banned
Reaction score
Many people have the same grievence I have, the fan support at the Barn. Go to Wisconsin, Michigan State and you feel unprotected and in hostile territory as the opposition. It truly is a home advantage. But at Williams Arena, there is no such thing as a home advantage. There is a lack of crowd energy, and it is... unusually quiet. That's not how a college basketball game should be! It should be rowdy, the fans should be making the visitors as uncomfortable as they can be (while being appropriate). SO HERE ARE IDEAS FOR SOLVING THE ISSUE!

1) Expand the student section! Let's face it, they provide the most energy, and they get... one measley end of the court?? Give them both ends of the court and let the general public get both sides. Therefore there is a home advantage at both ends of the court! The opposition won't get a break.

2) I don't have a nice way to say this, but... THERE ARE TOO MANY OLD PEOPLE! It should be a college atmosphere, not a senior home. Go to a game and you'll see they are quiet, unenthusiastic, and often times... very grumpy! I don't have a problem with the old people attending, but they should at least show some energy, support and express their enjoyment of witnessing a great contest! It wouldn't hurt for them to get off their behinds a couple times a game and god forbid... cheer.

Conclusion- This goes for everybody: Stand up, make noise, support the team, and enjoy yourself. Just see how much it helps defend the Barn!

- Go Gophers!:)

Hehe...i kind of have to agree on the old people part. Its kind of funny watching the games on tv, cause all you see in the crowd is old farts just sitting there. I dont know if its how they do the priority seating or what, but it kind of seems weird.

The student section was expanded to cover the entire baseline for next season. It will be interesting to see if that has an impact. Many thought the re-seating would move many of the long standing ticket holders to different locations due to the fee increase, but based on the way the center sections sold early in the process, it would appear it did not happen.

The student section has rarely been full the last few years, so I am not sure what expanding it does, other than possibly creating more empty seats. If we have the type of season that we should have, then every student seat will likely be full and then some, but the last 10-12 years or so, there have only been a handful of games where expanding the student section was warranted.

Go Gophers!!

Many people have the same grievence I have, the fan support at the Barn. Go to Wisconsin, Michigan State and you feel unprotected and in hostile territory as the opposition. It truly is a home advantage. But at Williams Arena, there is no such thing as a home advantage. There is a lack of crowd energy, and it is... unusually quiet. That's not how a college basketball game should be! It should be rowdy, the fans should be making the visitors as uncomfortable as they can be (while being appropriate). SO HERE ARE IDEAS FOR SOLVING THE ISSUE!

1) Expand the student section! Let's face it, they provide the most energy, and they get... one measley end of the court?? Give them both ends of the court and let the general public get both sides. Therefore there is a home advantage at both ends of the court! The opposition won't get a break.

2) I don't have a nice way to say this, but... THERE ARE TOO MANY OLD PEOPLE! It should be a college atmosphere, not a senior home. Go to a game and you'll see they are quiet, unenthusiastic, and often times... very grumpy! I don't have a problem with the old people attending, but they should at least show some energy, support and express their enjoyment of witnessing a great contest! It wouldn't hurt for them to get off their behinds a couple times a game and god forbid... cheer.

Conclusion- This goes for everybody: Stand up, make noise, support the team, and enjoy yourself. Just see how much it helps defend the Barn!

- Go Gophers!:)

I bet you would like a practice facility too. Where are you going to get that from when you boot the old people?

The problem has been the product on the floor-not the fans. Lousy non-conference schedules and no finish higher than tied for fourth since Clem (and that was Monson). We have won precious few big home games against the powers in the conference and we have had zero post season wins in this dry stretch. Meanwhile the coach is not a promoter by nature and has been passive on the sidelines and the team has often reflected that personality. Not a great package.

The student section has rarely been full the last few years, so I am not sure what expanding it does, other than possibly creating more empty seats. If we have the type of season that we should have, then every student seat will likely be full and then some, but the last 10-12 years or so, there have only been a handful of games where expanding the student section was warranted.

Go Gophers!!

I think it's less about expanding but more about getting back that section of seats on the baseline reserved for player guests and complimentary tickets back in the hands of the student section. It will look much better with students on both sides of the band and the basket and close to the floor. That section of people not even wearing Gopher gear and on their phones all game always bugged me.

Go Gophers!!

Amen, Bleed.

I bet you would like a practice facility too. Where are you going to get that from when you boot the old people?

The problem has been the product on the floor-not the fans. Lousy non-conference schedules and no finish higher than tied for fourth since Clem (and that was Monson). We have won precious few big home games against the powers in the conference and we have had zero post season wins in this dry stretch. Meanwhile the coach is not a promoter by nature and has been passive on the sidelines and the team has often reflected that personality. Not a great package.

This along with your Healthcare post are your worst posts ever. What is going on? you are usually full of positive energy.

Go Gophers

The only reseating of the student section that would actually work would be taking up one of the sidelines - and we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon. As someone already said, they already expanded the student section across the whole baseline. I personally think it is pretty lame when I see a student section like Northwestern's split in two across two baselines. Although it helps for free throw distractions throughout the whole game, I would rather have the full force of the student section behind the oppositions basket when it counts in the 2nd half.

Damn old people, daring to exist and what not. Why don't they all just die already?

It sure was exhilarating when the Gophers were up on Michigan State this past season and then went into a stall offense with 5 minutes still left in the game and gradually gave the thing away. Don't know how people weren't more pumped up for that. "What are they doing? They are going to lose this game! Why are they just standing around? Play ball, you've been playing well!" is what people in the crowd said. Silly fools should have remained standing up and applauding.

Attendance was down more than 10% last season and sellouts were few and far between.

The answer is to do better on the court. I've seen the Barn be a very special place. I've felt the chills. It's not a student section problem. It's not an older crowd problem. Give 'em something to cheer about and they'll cheer.

I don't think it's because "old people" that the atmosphere isn't that great, it's about winning. If he lets the team run this year (like he should) that will help too.

It's a good thing they are expanding the student section, the reserved area has some of the best seats in the house & those people were pretty quiet. Sometimes the women’s team would come sit there after practice when seats were available and the seat Nazi in that area kicked them out. The strange mix of people in that area didn't add up.

This along with your Healthcare post are your worst posts ever. What is going on? you are usually full of positive energy.

Go Gophers

Oh, I've made a ton of bad posts- but I'm right on healthcare. :) Really - I am just so wanting to see a great year for Tubby and the team. I think the fans will respond accordingly.

Want a better atmosphere? Schedule better and actually win some games.

Oh, I've made a ton of bad posts- but I'm right on healthcare. :) Really - I am just so wanting to see a great year for Tubby and the team. I think the fans will respond accordingly.

I do too. I am new to this state so I am not sure how big basketball had been here before. In West Lafayette, when the tickets go on sale, students camp outside of the arena for days. In Minnesota, I have seen only a few showing up during the tip-off even when it was supposed to be a promissing season (3 years ago). I am not sure how winning will change that. I hope it will.

Go Gophers

But San Diego State University will probably not schedule us in an home and home contract.

Dumb comment from someone who's probably 40 years older than I am. I've been a Gopher fan since I could remember, but I attended South Dakota State because of my major and it was cheaper.

The atmosphere is terrible at Williams arena and it's because of how bad Minnesota has been over the past 10 years. Win some games and people will start caring and stop crying.

SDSUAlum08 said:
Dumb comment from someone who's probably 40 years older than I am. I've been a Gopher fan since I could remember, but I attended South Dakota State because of my major and it was cheaper.

The atmosphere is terrible at Williams arena and it's because of how bad Minnesota has been over the past 10 years. Win some games and people will start caring and stop crying.
Sooooo.....You went to a school in SoDak - you shouldn't be talking trash.

Sooooo.....You went to a school in SoDak - you shouldn't be talking trash.

Talking trash about what? I'm a Gopher fan. You realize there's Gopher fans there right?

I also did my graduate stuff in Minneapolis, but since I was in So Dak for a bit I guess it's too much.

Would MSU, WIS, etc. be so rabid with mediocre teams year after year?????

Kohl Center is not rabid. It's a morgue in there 90% of the time. It can get loud, but so can Williams.

SDSU, I know you are a Gopher fan, and that SDSU was for SD State. I just need to realize that joking and using sarcasm does not work on a message board where so many people are way too serious. Sorry you missed the sarcasm. Doc

SDSU, I know you are a Gopher fan, and that SDSU was for SD State. I just need to realize that joking and using sarcasm does not work on a message board where so many people are way too serious. Sorry you missed the sarcasm. Doc

Yeah I took it too seriously too. No worries.

Complaining about older fans has to be one of the lamest things I have read here. I blame the marketing/athletic dept. before I blame season ticket holders.

Complaining about older fans has to be one of the lamest things I have read here. I blame the marketing/athletic dept. before I blame season ticket holders.

Ha....Im sorry but blaming the Marketing/athletic dept. is one of the lamest things ive seen on here. Whats being talked about is the energy at the game. When the people are already at the game, what is the Marketing/Athletic dept. going to do??

When the games are close it is so quiet in the barn, even when it is packed. Marketing/Athletic dept. cannot make the people stand up and actually make a little noise. Maybe the Athletic dept. can pipe tons of music/noise in the barn like the Metrodome used to do for the Vikings?(being sarcastic).

Old people's fault :)

What is the magic age of "old?" I just turned 46 - trying to figure out when I should stop renewing my tickets . . .

Top Bottom