Tubby apologizes to Bostick for not playing him more, cites defensive lapses

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tid-bit buried in Myron's blog:

"Devron Bostick was the hero Thursday. His 11 points sparked a big first-half run that led to a big lead that Minnesota eventually lost. Still, without that start, the finish would have been a moot point. Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said that he had to apologize to Bostick recently for not playing him more often. Smith said he’s been so focused on Bostick’s defensive lapses that he’s sometimes failed to realize how much his offense could help the team. We’ll see if he gets some more minutes against Michigan State Friday."

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

That's good to hear. Let's hope we see him a little more. Other teams may not realize that he is a good scorer and may be able razzle-dazzle them.

"Devron Bostick was the hero Thursday. His 11 points sparked a big first-half run that led to a big lead that Minnesota eventually lost. Still, without that start, the finish would have been a moot point. Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said that he had to apologize to Bostick recently for not playing him more often. Smith said he’s been so focused on Bostick’s defensive lapses that he’s sometimes failed to realize how much his offense could help the team. We’ll see if he gets some more minutes against Michigan State Friday."

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

Good for Tubby. That's great - he's attempting to build Bostick back up and that's good for Bostick and the team. Those words will go a long way towards making Bostick stay around and work hard this summer too.

I think that Tubby might be trying to play up Bostick and keep him happy based on some of the rumors we were hearing mid-season as well...

Good for Tubby. That's great - he's attempting to build Bostick back up and that's good for Bostick and the team. Those words will go a long way towards making Bostick stay around and work hard this summer too.

I agree - and like it that he can admit mistakes. I hope others that have ripped into Bostick on the board can too. Bottom line, when Bostick has a good game, we win. Does anyone know off-hand, have we lost any games where Devron was in double digits?

He is an asset to us, and another threat we can add to our line-up. I think it's funny, we've had such a hard time scoring, but he sits on the bench so much (always cheering for his team, mind you). Granted, I feel his confidence has been shaken, but I know he's capable of a lot of great things!

here it is...

I agree - and like it that he can admit mistakes. I hope others that have ripped into Bostick on the board can too. Bottom line, when Bostick has a good game, we win. Does anyone know off-hand, have we lost any games where Devron was in double digits?

He is an asset to us, and another threat we can add to our line-up. I think it's funny, we've had such a hard time scoring, but he sits on the bench so much (always cheering for his team, mind you). Granted, I feel his confidence has been shaken, but I know he's capable of a lot of great things!

Bostick in double figures:

Eastern Washington 11 pts W
High Point 11 pts W
Penn State 19 pts W (Jan 11)
@ Wisconsin 11 pts W (Jan 15)
Northwestern 11 pts W (March 12)

Go Gophers!!

Tubby has heard my prayers! Gotta have more Bostick!

Seriously, the guy can't play D but neither can Hoffarber. We need offense, offense, offense.

Bostick in double figures:

Eastern Washington 11 pts W
High Point 11 pts W
Penn State 19 pts W (Jan 11)
@ Wisconsin 11 pts W (Jan 15)
Northwestern 11 pts W (March 12)

Thanks for pulling that together, Section 201. We do have 100% rate when he's scoring in double digits.

The double figures argument is fine, but you can find a stat like that in almost anything:

Any game where Carter scores more than 8 points, we're also 5-0.
Any game where Busch has more than 4 rebounds, we're 4-0.
Any game where JAS scores in double figures, we're 4-1.
Any game where Nolen has more than 5 assists, we're 12-2.
Any game where Hoff plays more than 23 min, we're 10-2.

You can use stats for nearly anything.

Seriously, the guy can't play D but neither can Hoffarber.
You haven't been watching him play this year then. Today was a perfect example, he played 28 min and held NU's best shooter Moore to 3-16 from the field and 2-14 from 3. There was a reason he was in the last 8 min or so and Bostick wasn't.

It seems when the game is on the line and we need stops, Tubby doesn't trust Bostick, plain and simple. Only game I can remember all year where he played the last 4 min when the game was on the line was Wisconsin.

Blake also did an outstanding job on Jason Bohannon at The Barn last week.

Blake isn't a shut down defender, but he's really improved in this area. He needs to fight through picks a little better, but he's no longer a liability on D. Hopefully he keeps working on this part of his game, but the improvement is there.

Go Gophers!!

Tubby must like Blake

Blake also did an outstanding job on Jason Bohannon at The Barn last week.

Blake isn't a shut down defender, but he's really improved in this area. He needs to fight through picks a little better, but he's no longer a liability on D. Hopefully he keeps working on this part of his game, but the improvement is there.

Go Gophers!!

Tubby sure likes Blake. He got the most minutes today and there must be a reason. It sure isnt his 3 point shooting.

Tubby sure likes Blake. He got the most minutes today and there must be a reason. It sure isnt his 3 point shooting.
I assume it's the 3 pt threat (even if he's not hitting, the D still reacts to him), ball movement, movement off the ball, smart decisions (lower TO % than Joseph, Westbrook, JAS or Bostick), and defense.

Tubby must trust Blake in late game situations, b/c he's been on the floor in nearly every tight late game situation that I can remember (Wisconsin, CSU, Iowa, OSU, Michigan, etc.).

Fundamental

Blake is our most fundamental player. When he is in the ball seems to move much better. In fact, I would like to see him handle the ball more in our half court sets. He plays smart, he isn't the most athletic guy on the floor but he plays under control. If he only could get his shot going we would be looking much better.

Coach Smith is a teaching coach. Did any player improve under Monson? Bostick is being challenged to play within the system. I doubt that he will be given much time in the remaining tournament games but he can work on his game in the off-season if he is willing to take the challenge. Will he leave or work on playing for Coach Smith?

This team needs more offense! It is time for Tubby to unleash Bostick on the Big 10. The other 4 guys can make up for his defensive lapses. We have DJ, RSIII, and CI to erase his mistakes! Give him 30 minutes against MSU, something they will not be prepared for. Go Gophers!

I think Tubby's finding his back against the wall looking for some O. He knows, we all know, even with a great D you still need to score and I think he believed the guys he was playing would eventually figure it out and they just didn't. So now he's scrambling a bit to find some punch and it looks as though he may have to sacrifice his D and roll the dice a bit on scorers (bostick) and potential scorers (hoff and JAS).

Tubby has heard my prayers! Gotta have more Bostick!

Seriously, the guy can't play D but neither can Hoffarber. We need offense, offense, offense.

I'd say Hoff shut down NW's #2 guy (Moore) today awfully well...
just sayin'.

Top Bottom