Gophers nonconference schedule update with Dukies as Battle 4 Atlantis opponent

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I will assume that Andy Katz's report that the Gophers drew Duke is correct. Unofficially, the Gophers have 2 or 3 games yet to be announced/determined. Once of those is expected to be a preliminary round game of the Battle 4 Atlantis. It's likely to be a stiff.

Final 2011-12 RPI is noted in parentheses.

Home (7 or 8)
1. Friday, Nov. 9: AMERICAN (141) -- CIT
2. Sunday, Nov. 18: RICHMOND (126)
3. Tuesday, Dec. 4: SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (43) -- NCAA
4. Tuesday, Dec. 11: NORTH DAKOTA STATE (183) -- CBI
5. Saturday, Dec. 22: LAFAYETTE (195)
(8?).

Road (2)
1. Tuesday, Nov. 27: @ Florida State (11) -- NCAA
2. Saturday, Dec. 8: @ USC (270)

Neutral Site (3) -- Battle 4 Atlantis
1. Thursday, Nov. 22: vs. Duke (5) -- NCAA
2. Friday, Nov. 23: vs. Memphis (16/NCAA) or VCU (38/NCAA)
3. Saturday, Nov. 24: vs. Missouri (10/NCAA), Louisville (14/NCAA), Northern Iowa (73/NIT) or Stanford (97/NIT)

Exhibition (2)

VCU or Memphis should be the second game. Looks like the first report was wrong.

SS, it looks to me like no matter what happens, our OOC schedule of difficulty is a good level of competition. Be it home, away, or neutral, Let's go Gophers!!!

VCU or Memphis should be the second game. Looks like the first report was wrong.
Yep looks like Memphis or VCU in the 2nd round I guess that pretty much rules out VCU as that preliminary game, any chance it might be N.Iowa?
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz
Correction from Battle 4 Atlantis bracket Lou-Niowa and mizzou-Stanford in same draw while duke-Minny and memphis-VCU are in same half

SS, it looks to me like no matter what happens, our OOC schedule of difficulty is a good level of competition. Be it home, away, or neutral, Let's go Gophers!!!

Level of competition for overall and road/neutral portion of the OOC schedule looks great. Home portion of OOC sked still TBD. Still crossing my fingers on the home end of things.

Release from the U:

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/168100?referrer_id=331171

The University of Minnesota men's basketball team will open the second annual Battle 4 Atlantis tournament against Duke, tournament directors announced today. The Gophers and Blue Devils matchup is scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. CT on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 22, from the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas.

The Missouri Tigers and Stanford Cardinal will open tournament play at Noon, followed by Minnesota/Duke, Memphis vs. VCU at 6:00 p.m. and Louisville vs. Northern Iowa 8:30 p.m. All times Central.

The entire Battle 4 Atlantis tournament will be televised live on AXS TV, formally HDNet, and NBC Sports Network. The Minnesota/Duke matchup is schedule to appear on AXS TV.

Minnesota and Duke will be meeting for the third time in each school’s history, but the first time since the Gophers lost to the Blue Devils, 87-70, in the 1989 Sweet 16. Minnesota won the other matchup, 79-73, in the non-conference portion of the 1954-55 season.

The Gophers have a combined record of 72-41 in in-season tournaments, dating back to the Chicago District Olympic Tournament during the 1935-36 season. Minnesota is 11-4 under Tubby Smith during in-season tournament play, including a pair of victories over top-10 teams; a 72-67victory over #8 North Carolina in the second round of the 2010 Puerto Rico Tipoff and an 82-73 win over #10 Butler in the 2009 ESPN 76 Classic in Anaheim. The Gophers went on to win the Puerto Rico Tipoff title with a win over West Virginia.

Minnesota returns all but one player from a team that finished the 2011-12 season 23-15 overall, including an appearance in the NIT Championship game. The 23 wins during the 2011-12 campaign were the most at Minnesota since the 1989-90 team also won 23 (vacated years not included).

The Gophers have appeared in the postseason in four of the five seasons under head coach Tubby Smith. Smith will enter the 2012-13 season with 103 career wins on the Gopher sideline, joining just seven other coaches to win 100 games at the University of Minnesota. His current winning percentage of .602 (103-68) is the fourth-highest in program history. Smith is 490-213 overall in 21 seasons as a head coach.

Battle 4 Atlantis wants National Attention...Best versus Best, etc.

Gophers versus Bluedevils...Best versus Best means that the national media is expecting the Gophers to be a formidable foe all season.

I'll buy that.

Go Gophers!!!

Tweet from Doogie: "@darrenwolfson: #Gophers hoops B1G schedule dates/times expected to be released Aug. 10. Full schedule close. Finalizing contract w/ one non-conf. game."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom