Doug Gottlieb moving to CBS

Gottlieb

Gottlieb quite often is a little too brash for my tastes, but he knows his stuff. A nice hire for CBS.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ll/19694825/cbs-hires-doug-gottlieb-from-espn

I think it is interesting that more an more ESPN personalities are seeing a life away from the mother-ship. Dan Patrick set the stage for Jim Rome, Erin Andrews, Michele Beadle and now Gottlieb.

I'll miss his contributions most to the late Saturday College Game night shows, especially the ones down the stretch in Feb/Mar towards Selection Sunday.

I'm not sure Dan Patrick started it. You could argue Rich Eisen was the first big name to do it. Gottlieb is following in the footsteps of Greg Anthony, who left ESPN a couple of years ago to do college basketball for CBS.

I think it is interesting that more an more ESPN personalities are seeing a life away from the mother-ship. Dan Patrick set the stage for Jim Rome, Erin Andrews, Michele Beadle and now Gottlieb.

I'll miss his contributions most to the late Saturday College Game night shows, especially the ones down the stretch in Feb/Mar towards Selection Sunday.

Pat Forde as well. I like ESPN's product a lot, but you can tell they have some internal issues they need to work out.

ESPN has been a lot more about creating story lines than reporting story lines for at least the past 5 years, maybe longer. Gottlieb was better last year, but man, he was looking rough. He either doesn't sleep enough or has a drinking problem...or maybe just aging ungracefully.

You know Gottlieb was always banging on the "Big Ten is down" theme almost every year over the past decade. I am going to be glad that should be absent from the WWL moving forward. But I think Gottlieb's attitude softened over the years, he wasn't too bitter in recent years (maybe being married mellowed him out some - or he may have gotten a steadier supply of credit cards to steal :)).

I am not feeling the addition of Jalen Rose to ESPN Gameday. If he's going to remain a full-time NBA analyst, he can't possibly have much substance to add to college gameday. I just don't like seeing the best candidate not selected for jobs, and I feel they selected him because they're going for more style and don't care much about substance. Obviously I wanted them to put someone on there who would study the college game relentlessly and be able to make opinions and explanations based on a wealth of knowledge rather than a cliff notes version of the sport. I just don't believe he will do a very good job being on top of college basketball if he's going to still be a full-time NBA analyst.

Bruce Feldman is a really good college football columnist who left for CBS Sports. I think he's better than Forde who seems more interested in getting a rise out of people than anything else.

Top Bottom