Gophers- TCU

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
The Gophers head down to Texas for a 7 game trip and open with three games against top 10 Texas Christian University.

Friday's game has been canceled and moved to Monday. TCU is ranked #2 by the ISR(basically college baseball version of RPI) http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/currentisr.html, Minnesota is #34

http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm

According to the Collegiate Baseball newspaper poll, three Big Ten teams are in the Top 30, Illinois #21, Michigan #28, OSU #30

Finally a baseball thread.

Big week and a half for the Gopher baseball team as they play 3 quality teams in Texas. Pitching will be the key with all the games played in a short period. They are off to a good start and hitting the heck out of the ball.

On a side note Johnny, Here in Lincoln, a Minnesota kid has quietly become the Huskers Friday starter. Mike Nesseth from Windom is 2-1, 1.71 era in 21 innings with 27 SO. He is a resdhirt sophomore that will be drafted pretty high after the season.

I noticed the 3 Big 10 teams ranked in the one poll. That is the only poll of the 6 that is that way. I think Michigan is ranked in all of them.

Looks like the guys are motivated to not let last year repeat itself. :clap:

They were really young last season and are still young this year. But if the young guys continue to step up, we should be starting another streak of winning seasons here shortly!!!

Two huge wins on the road against a top 10 team(I'm sure that ranking will fall pretty far after this weekend). Last year was something alot of us hadn't experienced as Gopher fans and it's great to see the quick turnaround. These are the wins, plus the Santa Barbara, Hawaii, and Washington ones from the DQ Classic, that will really come in useful at NCAA tournament time.

We've got a pretty good mix of experience and youth. Last year our bullpen was a huge weakness as we gave up leads in alot of games but we also we're using alot of true freshman. Now this year our bullpen is a strength and all those freshman are now experienced sophomores.

Maytas, Fern, Sexton, Rasmussen, and Issakson are all sophomores who saw alot of innings last year and have been huge for us so far this year, as has freshman Lubinsky,

One thing of note that relates to the previous discussion about Wisconsin getting baseball back, Maytas, Fern, Sexton, Issakson, and Lubinsky are all Wisconsin kids, as is Nohelty. Not saying we wouldn't still get some of those guys but it would make things more difficult.

Our starters, unlike the pen, are two seniors and two sophomores. Buske and Handran and Rosin and Klabunde. Thats a good mix although we still lack the true #1 that is so key come tournament time.

We also have a great mix in the field. Anderson took some heat a few years ago for what was called a weak recruiting class, especially MN kids, but it looks like he will get the last laugh. The one who didn't redshirt from that class, SO. Mike Kvasnicka, is having a monster year hitting .423 with 14 RBI. Our lineup also includes three Redshirt Freshman from that class in SS AJ Petterson, 3B Kyle Geason, and 1B Nick O'Shea. Geason was the star in high school at Eden Prairie but so far has struggled at the plate hitting .225 but big things are expected of him and he will be a big bat eventually. O'Shea was a recruited walk-on from Centennial but was the talk of the program last year as a redshirt but so far he is at .232. The huge suprise has been little AJ Petterson from Minnetonka, who is a pretty slick SS but wasn't known for his bat but so far is hitting .319 and has been great at the top of the order. The juniors are also playing big. Derek McCallum has been one of our best players ever since he stepped on campus and is hitting .315 while Catcher Kyle Knudson is at .313 and two sport star Eric Decker is killing the ball at .417. We only have two seniors that see much time, Matt Nohelty obviously and Jon Hummel. True Freshman Sam Ryan, from Oakdale has also started three games. Ryan and Lubinsky appear to be the only freshman not redshirting.

The future is definately bright.

Johnny,

Always appreciate the insights and info you post about Gopher baseball!!! In my experience, there are too many people who don't know how successful the baseball program has been over the years. Some of the numbers are actually quite incredible (22 Big Ten titles, 3 national titles, a 45-year streak of winning seasons, not to mention great success at the Big Ten Tournament on almost a yearly basis!!!:D)

If I'm off on any of those, let me know. But the fact remains, this is one of the U's most successful sports programs and it seems like there's a lack of knowledge about it by the average fan.

In any case, last year's struggles came a big surprise to me. I had grown accustomed to seeing the team either at or near the top of the Big Ten every year (in other words, I had gotten spoiled!!!:D) But it appears coach Anderson and the guys are well on their way to a possible rebound year. Keep on trucking along guys!!!!!:clap::clap:

I really hope they get the facility they deserve soon.

Plan to go to the game tonight!

Wonder what shape the field is in...we had 4-5" of soaking rain Tues-Fri. That might why they cancelled the game Friday night.

Anyone else going to be there??

I too am pleased to see the 2 wins down here in TX.

Anyone know who is pitching tonight? If the bats keep hitting...we'll have a chance.

TCU has a stadium that Anderson can only dream about. Hopefully his day will come once the football stadium is done.

SKI-U-MAH!!

GM

Should be Rosin's turn in the rotation.

This week will really test the Gophers and there pitching depth, they play the final TCU game today, then Texas-Arlington on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then a thursday,Friday, Saturday series against Dallas Baptist, who despite the name is actually a really good baseball school and will be difficult games.

Great start to the spring trip for these guys. TCU is a legit team and it has been a long time (maybe 2004 when the Gophers took 2 out of 3 from Cal State Fullerton) have the Gophers had a series win that meant so much. After last year, a quick start was just what the Gophers needed, and it looks like they are playing with a lot of confidence. I hope they keep it up, a win tonight would be HUGE, and if Seth keeps pitching the way he has, it wouldn't be shocking either.

Should be Rosin's turn in the rotation.

This week will really test the Gophers and there pitching depth, they play the final TCU game today, then Texas-Arlington on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then a thursday,Friday, Saturday series against Dallas Baptist, who despite the name is actually a really good baseball school and will be difficult games.

Dallas Baptist is a very good baseball school. They routinely beat the Big 12 Texas schools in midweek games. Just beat Texas Tech last week 11-2. Their fromer head coach is now th pitching coach at Nebraska and he had that program headed in the right direction.

TCU leads MN 2-1 in the top of the 5th. O'Shea hit a solo HR for only run but the Gophers are outhitting them 4-2.

While I would love to win this game and sweep it's just so nice to see MN go down south to a top school and just play competitive baseball again. Says alot about MN pitching that the scores are low and the games all close.

Gophers fall 4-1.

But overall a good series for the gophers. Hopefully they build on it as they go against UTA tomorrow.

Was at the game last night.

Notes:

- friendly TCU fans
- wonderful baseball stadium
- very good defense on both teams parts
- outstanding full out diving stop by O'Shea right after his homer
- TCU threw Geason out at the plate in the first and picked Nohelty off 2nd in the first
- GREAT snag of a high chopper by Rosin, our starting pitcher...he needed all 6'-6" to get it...also we got a hit because their pitcher wasn't quite tall enough to get it
- nice cover of 1st by 2nd baseman on a ball hit slowly down the first baseline
- good pitching for both teams
- Minnesota bullpen looked good...sidearm thrower (Tim Ryan) was good (except for 1 pitch) as was the closer( Rasmussen)
- loved that we are afraid to run
- our guys missed opportunities in the 1st to get 2 runs..maybe more with the pickoff and throwout at the plate...Dang it!!!
- Decker had a rough night at the plate....not sure why
- O'Shea should have faked throwing to 2nd on the double steal...the guy at 3rd was very fast and beat the throw home....well executed though by TCU

The Gophers are a Big team compared to TCU. Our starting pitcher was 6-6, Decker is 6-3...vrey few of the team are under 6'. TCU had many 5-10, 5-11 guys.

Tonight the Gophers are playing at another great NEW ballpark...QuikTrip park...it is where the minor league Grand Prairie AirHogs play (same league as the St. Paul Saints). I can't make it tonight...hope to catch them again Thursday night against Dallas Baptist.

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom