QUESTION ABOUT RIMS

melbo

Reaction score
Go gophers, big win today and I believe a great win tomorrow! I could use some help with a question about basketball rims. Ive heard that the rims in the barn are soft and a shooter likes that and that rims in other arenas are tight and the ball rebounds off further. Is it true that rims are soft or hard and if so are rims somehow adjustable?

oh ya, the rims in some arenas are soft steel, and the rims in other arenas are hard steel. LOL It is all in the shooter's touch on the shot. A brick will fly off, a floater will float off.

you are more likely to get a bounce in Williams arena, ball just hangs on the rim more because there is more give. Williams has always had those soft rims.

Difference in rims...

Anyone who has played knows that there can be a great deal of difference in rims from gym to gym. I heard some that actually rattle when a ball hits them. The ball just dies on the rim and often falls in or just drops off for a miss. I've also seen some that are like bouncing a ball off a curb - completely solid. The ball just bounds away, regardless of how soft the shot was. Some of what is frequently called "shooter's touch" is often soft rims.

Go gophers, big win today and I believe a great win tomorrow! I could use some help with a question about basketball rims. Ive heard that the rims in the barn are soft and a shooter likes that and that rims in other arenas are tight and the ball rebounds off further. Is it true that rims are soft or hard and if so are rims somehow adjustable?

I'm not sure as to the real reason why, whether it be a harder material or thicker material or more tightly connected to the board, but beyond a doubt some rims are "tighter" than others. On TV, you can hear the rims at Williams rattle a bit (not as much rattle in most other arenas), which would suggest that they are a bit "soft", but as you can tell, it doesn't help the Gophers much in scoring :D. I played a couple of IM championships at Williams, didn't notice that they were any different than typical rims, though.

If you look at the set up of a rim the is a small box under the extension off the back board. It serves as a pivot point on the rim. Inside the box there are a few springs that can be either adjusted(either looser or tighter). Any way I think alot of the idea of a soft rim is that the springs are looser than average thus giving the ball a better chance to rattle around and in. If a rim is very hard you will see alot of long rebounds espiecally if the one of the teams is really tired(this usely means they aren't getting the lift in there jump shot and shorting the ball). Also you will see a slightly lower scoring game on hard rims(maybe 2-6 for each team, if that). The opposite will happen for a soft rim(marginally higher scores, shorter rebounds, etc)

Overall it won't make much difference is a game. The bigger difference is if you have a solid back round to shot against. If you don't believe me set of a clear backboard outside sometime and try shotting, I promise you, you will miss the first few shots finding your range. Now will this have a huge affect on the BTT, no, but is would be a huge deal for the teams in the Final Four. The Final Four is being held in Ford Field using the whole stadium for seating a backround will be insanely important then, very important if a team didn't take enough time getting use to shooting against nothing. All in all shotting comes down to mechanics much more than the rim.

I read this whole thread in disbelief until MNBoiler finally came through with a legitimate answer and excellent additional information that wasn't asked.

I'd like to tweak what Goldenboy said about shooter's touch and soft rims...A shooter's touch has everything to do with the trajectory of the shot and the spin on the ball. Simply, a ball coming in at a 45 degree angle has a better chance of going in than a ball at a 10 degree angle. When a shooter puts arc and the proper spin on a shot but misses the target slightly it the ball has a better chance of rattling on the rim and going in than a player that is throwing darts (the difference between Joseph and Carter shooting 3's). It is called shooter's touch when the shot with the proper trajectory rattles on the rim and goes in. Soft rims obviously help with that because it cushions the ball and it will not bounce as hard off the rim (like dropping a golf ball on a surface like carpet that has some give versus dropping it on cement).

Thank you mnboiler and grunkiejr, that was the info i was looking for and boner4goldy keep it hard.

Top Bottom