If you're interested, ESPN.com is revelaing pairings for their exempt tournaments

Tweet from Esposito:

"The pairings for the Battle 4 Atlantis will be announced on Friday. Should be interesting how they seeded the tournament. #gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Final seeding projection for Atlantis? I'll go with:

1 -- Louisville
2 -- Duke
3 -- Missouri
4 -- Memphis
5 -- Stanford
6 -- GOPHERS (could be seeded as high as #4, or as low as #7)
7 -- VCU
8 -- Northern Iowa

So if they go by straight seeding, seeing a matchup with Mizzou in our future. Feel very safe in saying UNI will draw Louisville.

Very excited about this tournament and some of the potential matchups, I'll guess:
1. Louisville
8. Northern Iowa

4. Memphis
5. Minnesota

2. Duke
7. VCU

3. Missouri
6. Stanford

I am hoping the Gophers get anyone except Northern Iowa. A lot of great potential matchups here!

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz
"The Battle 4 Atlantis (Nov. 22-24) bracket will be announced Thursday (Louisville, Duke, Memphis, Missouri, Minn., VCU, Stanford, N. Iowa)."

Not sure if he has the day messed up or if Esposito did, but I am hoping Katz is right and we get to see the bracket Thursday.

I'd guess the coaches will start leaking it to the media Thursday, the "official" announcement will come Friday.

Some tweets from CBS Gary Parish speculating on pairings
"The Battle 4 Atlantis bracket won't be released till tomorrow, but a source told @CBSSports the marquee 1st-round game will be VCU-Memphis."
"Not certain, but I think the bracket will be seeded like this: 1. UL. 2. Duke. 3. Memphis 4. Mizzou 5. Minnesota 6. VCU 7. UNI 8. Stanford"
"Now hearing Atlantis will likely have Stanford as 7 seed and UNI as 8 seed. Either way, point's the same: Gonna be some great games there."

Not that the seeding matters a whole lot, but don't know how they could seed UNI ahead of Stanford. The one sure thing I'd say about this tourney is that on paper combining last season's accomplishments along with 2012-13 expectations, UNI has to be the #8 seed (but a dangerous one at that).

Yeah he 1st tweeted those seedings and then said he heard Stanford was 7 and N.Iowa was 8, but either way it will be a very exciting tournament from the 1st round to the winners bracket and even the losers bracket throughout the tournament the matchups should be great.

What network carries the Battle 4 Atlantis? I looked around and it seems that Versus did last year. Does that change from year to year or is there a contract?

Who plays who can be based on other factors than just '1 = best team, 2 is second best team' and so on and so forth. Not sure there is truly a "seeding".

Do we know whether or not any of these teams are playing each other "as a part of the tournament" outside of bracket play?

What network carries the Battle 4 Atlantis? I looked around and it seems that Versus did last year. Does that change from year to year or is there a contract?

Not sure on this one or not. But i believe it NBC Sports network and HDNet that has it.

Do we know whether or not any of these teams are playing each other "as a part of the tournament" outside of bracket play?

I'm assuming the Gophers will play someone "outside of bracket play" as part of the tournament, but I haven't seen/heard anything, other than Sid saying the Gophers will play Western Michigan in a "preliminary" Battle 4 Atlantis tilt. However, I don't think that's accurate. ... WMU's schedule is pretty much full in early November when that game would have to be played.

Memphis is playing Samford as its preliminary for the Battle 4 Atlantis. And I saw a report that Northern Iowa will play Toledo in early November as a "stateside" game of the Battle 4 Atlantis, so it sounds probable the Gophers will play someone from outside the 8-team bracket.

If that's the case, based on our home scheduling history, I wouldn't expect the extra Battle 4 Atlantis game to be a team of any significance. ... expect a weak opponent along the lines of Toledo or Samford (or maybe Sid's right, Western Michigan).

I'm assuming the Gophers will play someone "outside of bracket play" as part of the tournament, but I haven't seen/heard anything, other than Sid saying the Gophers will play Western Michigan in a "preliminary" Battle 4 Atlantis tilt. However, I don't think that's accurate. ... WMU's schedule is pretty much full in early November when that game would have to be played.

I have seen a report that Northern Iowa will play Toledo in early November as a "stateside" game of the Battle 4 Atlantis, so it's possible the Gophers could play someone from outside the 8-team bracket. If that's the case, based on our home scheduling history, I wouldn't expect the 4th Battle 4 Atlantis game to be a team of any significance. Hope I'm wrong.

I was thinking Battle 4 Atlantis included only the 8 teams playing in the Bahamas... are you thinking there are "preliminary games" this year for B4A? Would more easily enable a 31 game schedule vs. 30, but don't know what the story on it is (or if that detail will even be revealed today)... maybe Mr. Esposito will be able to enlighten us on whether we're looking at 31 vs 30 games this year.

GW, definitely it sounds like there will be "preliminary games" for the B4A (Memphis' nonconference schedule release confirms that by listing Samford as a B4A "opening round game"). I'm assuming the Gophers will have one, also, meaning they'd have a 31-game schedule.

Coach Esposito posted tweeted this yesterday so I guess we can expect an announcement around 2p.m.
Joe Esposito ‏@Coach_JEsposito
"2pm we will know the Atlantis pairings tomorrow. Memphis ? Missouri ? We will see."

So much for Gary Parishs thoughts on the tourney. Looks like we get the Dukies.
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz
Battle 4Atlantis bracket (Nov22-24): Top bracket Missouri-Stanford; Duke-Minnesota; bottom bracket Memphis-VCU; Louisville-Northern Iowa

Goldy Gopher said:
So much for Gary Parishs thoughts on the tourney. Looks like we get the Dukies.
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz
Battle 4Atlantis bracket (Nov22-24): Top bracket Missouri-Stanford; Duke-Minnesota; bottom bracket Memphis-VCU; Louisville-Northern Iowa

Can't wait. About the perfect draw for the Gophers, big name program that may have a slightly down year. Hope we beat them!

We can take Duke. For some reason, Tubby can win this neutral court games against future final 4 opponents.

Top Bottom