How much of a lock are we now ...

rrjackIII

Reaction score
assuming we lose to Mi St Friday? I know there are many threads about this but I thought I would start one here after our 1st B10 tourney win.

It seems to me the consensus is we are in. Thoughts?

Enough that I will be very upset if we aren't in. I expect us to now have an RPI in the 30's after today, and that may actually go up a bit more even with a loss to MSU. So if we end up with a 30's RPI and don't make it, they will have had to jump several teams with RPI's in the 50's and 60's over us. I would be livid. But I thought we were an absolute lock in 1996 as well, and they screwed us over royally. I will never assume again.

What was our record, RPI etc in 1996? Just curious.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the RPI was. Our overall record was 19-11. This was pre-Big 10 tournament. We were 9-8 I believe in the conference going into our last game at Illinois who was also a bubble team. No Big 10 team that had a winning conference record had ever been left out of the tournament prior to this (post-1985 tournament of course.) An 8-10 Wisconsin team had gotten in the year before.

All of the experts said if we won at Illinois we were a 'lock' and if we lost we were still probably OK, but on the bubble. We won. Clem was so confident he let WCCO film the team watching the Selection Show live. We didn't get in as you know. Clem was livid. He said 'we're going to win the NIT and next year we're going to win the whole dang thing.' He came up just short on both counts, but it was still a good ride. This is all off of memory so if one or two details is incorrect hopefully no one feels the need to jump on me.

assuming we lose to Mi St Friday? I know there are many threads about this but I thought I would start one here after our 1st B10 tourney win.

It seems to me the consensus is we are in. Thoughts?

I think so. For what it is worth, Huebert Davis just said the Big Ten gets 8 teams and Minnesota is in.

That's pretty much it, the way you tell it. Still the most inexplicable non-selection I've ever seen. Our gophs finished the schedule on a 7-2 run. Each year I give a "golden screw" award to the team I feel got jobbed. In 1996, the Gophers got the "platinum screw" award.

Top Bottom