Tubby Extended through 2016-17

Here is the full press release through the U of MN:

Smith, Gophers Agree to Contract Extension

University of Minnesota director of athletics Norwood Teague announced today that head men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith has agreed to terms on a contract extension through the 2016-17 season.

“I am pleased to announce that Coach Smith and Gopher Athletics have agreed on a contract extension,” Teague said. “Tubby took over our program at a difficult time and quickly got it headed back in the right direction, both athletically and academically. Since then, Gopher basketball has continued to make strides under his leadership with four postseason appearances, including last year’s exciting run to the NIT tile game. I look forward to working with Coach Smith into the future to help lift Gopher basketball to even greater heights.”

Smith and the Gophers are coming off of a 23-win season and an appearance in the 2012 NIT Championship game. The 23 wins are the most at Minnesota since the 1989-90 team also won 23 games.

“We are excited about the extension and know that the University of Minnesota is the right place for us,” said Smith. “I believe that we can get the job done here. The commitment from the university is there to continue to grow the program and I am looking forward to being a part of that. I appreciate the faith that Norwood Teague and President Kaler have in our staff and what we are trying to accomplish here. I am focused on reaching our full potential as a program. That is why we came here five years ago and it is still our goal.”

Smith, who has led Minnesota to two NCAA berths and two NIT appearances his five seasons, will enter the 2012-13 season with a record of 103-68 and currently sits with the fourth-highest winning percentage in program history. His 103 victories are the most in the first five years of a coaching tenure in school history. He won his 100th game in Gold Country against La Salle in the opening round of the NIT to become one of only eight coaches in Minnesota history to amass 100 wins.

Smith’s overall record in 21 seasons as a head men’s basketball coach is 490-213.

Thanks for sharing the news release, GopherLady.

It's nice to have it done after 2.5 years. I hope the one that is negotiated after next year's Elite Eight appearance goes much faster. :)

Great news - Sorry Tubby Haters! Ski-U-Mah.....Go Tubby!

Can't wait to find out the details of the extension, buyout $$$ are obviously key. I find it comical that a coach coming off consecutive 6-12 seasons can be described as "continuing to make strides".

Gophers coach Tubby Smith gets his extension. Now how about some meaningful wins.

per Bob Sansevere

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...gophers-coach-tubby-smith-gets-his?source=rss

Item: Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith signs a contract extension through the 2016-17 season.

I think: Smith hasn't been an enormous disappointment, but he hasn't exactly delivered a top program. You can point to injuries to key players. You also can point to players who left the program -- some because of Smith -- as well as players who didn't develop once in the program. Smith what the extension he wanted. Wouldn't it be nice if he gave Gopher fans what they wanted?

Go Gophers!!

"But I really, truly believe that coach has been a little snakebitten," said former AD Joel Maturi, who hired Smith in 2007. "He has had some injuries, he has had some transfers. If those things hadn't happened, we would have gone to the NCAA tournament four straight years. That has never happened in Minnesota's history. I really think that's how close we are. I'm excited that Tubby's going to have the chance to do that."

Agreed Joel, glad the extension finally got done, I too believe that Tubby can do it, I just hope this season doesn't go the same way 2010-11 did, with a very promising start before completely derailing.

I find it comical that a coach coming off consecutive 6-12 seasons can be described as "continuing to make strides".

I find it comical that a poster would look at only the record over the last two years and think he has any insight.

You need to try harder.

I find it comical that a poster would look at only the record over the last two years and think he has any insight.

You need to try harder.

I need to try harder, or I need to spell it out for you? The Gophers are trending down in the Big Ten, not up. Recruiting has been trending down, not up. You cannot find anyone who is both objective AND has insight in to the Gopher Basketball program who will tell you that the program is "continuing to make strides".

per Bob Sansevere

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...gophers-coach-tubby-smith-gets-his?source=rss

Item: Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith signs a contract extension through the 2016-17 season.

I think: Smith hasn't been an enormous disappointment, but he hasn't exactly delivered a top program. You can point to injuries to key players. You also can point to players who left the program -- some because of Smith -- as well as players who didn't develop once in the program. Smith what the extension he wanted. Wouldn't it be nice if he gave Gopher fans what they wanted?

Go Gophers!!

Yes, they left because Tubby refused to let them smoke weed. Yes, because Tubby refused to ask them to play defense. Yes, because Tubby refused to let them get in trouble with law. Yes, because Tubby all the sudden injected cancer cell into players' sister's body. Yes, because Tubby asked the player to play harder or go to another school.

If they left because of Tubby, good for us.

Go Gophers

I need to try harder, or I need to spell it out for you? The Gophers are trending down in the Big Ten, not up. Recruiting has been trending down, not up. You cannot find anyone who is both objective AND has insight in to the Gopher Basketball program who will tell you that the program is "continuing to make strides".

Agreed. If it said, "Tubby has kept this team afloat during times of injury among other adversities" I would consider this reasonable. To say the team has made strides of any kind over the last two seasons seems a bit far fetched.

per Bob Sansevere

You also can point to players who left the program -- some because of Smith -- as well as players who didn't develop once in the program.

I am bothered by this sentence also. Royce White always praises Tubby so I am not sure you could say he transferred because of the coach. Devoe seemed like a problem child and we were probably better without him. The only two players who I can think of who didn't improve are Ralph and Colton Iverson. Ralph didn't seem like he enjoyed playing basketball and I'm not sure how much he worked at improving his game.

per Bob Sansevere

You also can point to players who left the program -- some because of Smith -- as well as players who didn't develop once in the program.

I am bothered by this sentence also. Royce White always praises Tubby so I am not sure you could say he transferred because of the coach. Devoe seemed like a problem child and we were probably better without him. The only two players who I can think of who didn't improve are Ralph and Colton Iverson. Ralph didn't seem like he enjoyed playing basketball and I'm not sure how much he worked at improving his game.

Very true. What kills me is the fact that these people like Stan, Art, ..... will cheer for the other team to win just to come here and say, "I told you so". Are these people true fans or just some argumentive people who loved to prove they are right? Tubby has said over and over that he feels lucky that he has a job at the U based on his team's reccord for that last 2 years. What more do we want from these people? To come to our houses and appologize personally. Yes, mistake were made. Lets move on and have a great season. This will let us bring players like Jones.....

Go Gophers

Very true. What kills me is the fact that these people like Stan, Art, ..... will cheer for the other team to win just to come here and say, "I told you so". Are these people true fans or just some argumentive people who loved to prove they are right? Tubby has said over and over that he feels lucky that he has a job at the U based on his team's reccord for that last 2 years. What more do we want from these people? To come to our houses and appologize personally. Yes, mistake were made. Lets move on and have a great season. This will let us bring players like Jones.....

Go Gophers

I don't think you'll find any Gopherholers who are like that

You're ignoring two things. 1. Tubby will have his best team yet next season and should be top 4 big ten and top 25 in he country. 2. You're also ignoring the significant injuries and transfers that have killed the program for the last 3 years so you could say its trending downwards but I just don't see it.

Tubby had this team in the Top 15 before Al Nolen went down. He can do it again.

Go Gophers

Man, too many grammatical and spelling mistakes. Sorry, I had not had my morning tea yet.

Go Gophers

You're ignoring two things. 1. Tubby will have his best team yet next season and should be top 4 big ten and top 25 in he country. 2. You're also ignoring the significant injuries and transfers that have killed the program for the last 3 years so you could say its trending downwards but I just don't see it.

They might surprise and be top 4 conference team but the more reasonable expectation would be Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio State and Wisconsin all finising higher in conference.

Minnesota can be lumped in the next tier after that with Purdue, Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern.

Top Bottom