SI: Examining the biggest trend to hit college basketball transfers

That's a very interesting subject I've always been intrigued by. I don't think it's anything the NCAA needs to fix. Forcing athletes to sit out a season (after a lateral transfer) is about as perfect a rule -- or "punishment" -- that you can have. It's a good balance. If this wasn't enforced, there would be complete mayhem. Coaches would be sniping players from their opponents benches left and right. Essentially every bench player would have to be re-recruited every offseason. Complete free agency would be terrible for the sport. One of the biggest changes I would like to see it allowing a player to become immediately eligible if their coach is fired. I don't think it's fair to the student-athlete to be forced to sit out a season if they want to make a lateral move because of an administrative decision (firing the coach). If a coach leaves on his own, that's a different story IMO.

Then there is the always hot-button issue of players leaving mainly low-level Division I programs for Division II. Personally, I think nothing should be changed here as well. I think allowing these kids to be immediately eligible is great because it often allows for a second chance that might not otherwise be afforded. DII basketball institutions often have their entire starting 5 and half their bench on full athletic scholarship, so it's not like the $$$ isn't there.

Top Bottom