Wisconsin offers Riley Dearing

Johnnyboy18

Reaction score
I didn't think he had any chance of being of a high-major prospect? Maybe they'rtrying to get a package deal with Vaughn?

I didn't think he had any chance of being of a high-major prospect? Maybe they'rtrying to get a package deal with Vaughn?

This shocks me. I said before the summer he had to have a fantastic summer to get an offer from Minnesota or any high major. IMO he has not done much in my eyes to really warrant a high offer. Apparently he was being watched by Wisconsin all weekend so maybe they know something the Gophers don't, but i am stunned.

Riley played really well at UW's team camp in June, and he played well this week during the first evaluation period with a UW staff member at each of his games. They obviously liked what they saw, as Bo made the offer this evening. Sounds like the recruitment could be over rather quickly.

From what I have seen and heard, this looks like a bit of a stretch, but Bo and the staff clearly believe Riley can play in the Big 10.

I believe he once was the number one 8th grader in the country but really didn't develop. He probably started putting in a lot of work realizing talent can't get him to a high-major. It'll be interesting to see if one of the gopher coaches go to watch him next weekend.

Riley played really well at UW's team camp in June, and he played well this week during the first evaluation period with a UW staff member at each of his games. They obviously liked what they saw, as Bo made the offer this evening. Sounds like the recruitment could be over rather quickly.

From what I have seen and heard, this looks like a bit of a stretch, but Bo and the staff clearly believe Riley can play in the Big 10.

That would be an understatement. I really respect the staff at UW and their talent evaluation but....wow.

When Wisconsin offered Taylor my reaction was no big loss there, I don't see how he could get playing time at a high major, I guess I was right on that one. I've learned not to question Bo , something impressed him be it skills, fitting in his system, coachability, or whatever.

never the number one kid in his class. Played very little at hopkins as a ninth grader, averaged about 8ppg for DE as a sophmore, was 3rd leading scorer for a unranked Minnetonka team last year. The less structure there is the better riley looks. Did well in summer not so well in regular season. If he does not turn out for Wisky he will transfer out and not sit on the scholly for 4-5 years therefore justifying taking a chance on him.

A much different type of player than Jordan Taylor. I would be shocked if he ever plays a minute for Wsconsin. Bet there are ten kids in the Milwuakee City Conference with more talent the Dearring. But you can't argue with Bo's record. Even though he sucks and hopefully has lost his mind. Good for the kid however, to earn a Big Ten scholarship he must be able to do some good things on the court.

never the number one kid in his class. Played very little at hopkins as a ninth grader, averaged about 8ppg for DE as a sophmore, was 3rd leading scorer for a unranked Minnetonka team last year. The less structure there is the better riley looks. Did well in summer not so well in regular season. If he does not turn out for Wisky he will transfer out and not sit on the scholly for 4-5 years therefore justifying taking a chance on him.

He's the third option on his AAU team as well.

Congrats to Riley. It hasnt been a smooth road for that young man. Its good to see hard work pay off. I hope he goes to Wisconsin and kicks some serious butt.

Hard to argue with Bo's track record getting Minnesota kids to be productive for his program.

He's officially a Badger now according to Ryan James. That was quick.

Dearring's AAU teammate, 6-6 guard Rashad Vaughn is also being recruited by UW. Vaughn is entering his junior year at Robinsdale Cooper High School.

"My bro Riley Dearring is Heading to the University of Wisconsin!!!" Vaughn tweeted. "Ayyyyyyyy!!!"

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/163050686.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

Go Gophers!!

I think Vaughn / Tyus either end up at MN or a "Blue-blood". Doubt this changes anything at all. If you are a high prospect like them, you don't leave MN to have your team score 30 PPG.

Dearring's AAU teammate, 6-6 guard Rashad Vaughn is also being recruited by UW. Vaughn is entering his junior year at Robinsdale Cooper High School.

"My bro Riley Dearring is Heading to the University of Wisconsin!!!" Vaughn tweeted. "Ayyyyyyyy!!!"

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/163050686.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

Go Gophers!!

The hype and the mearuables simply aren't there for this kid. He is somewhere between 6-4 and 6-6 for a small forward and has a vertical just of less than 25 inches. He's not a great shooter and appears to have run out of upside. I remember when he was a freshman, maybe eight grade, at Hopkins and he was touted as the next big thing to come through the system.

Remember this?

Top Bottom