Esposito: Our non conference is critical that we dont play ourselves out of the dance

BleedGopher

Reaction score
A twitter exchange between Joe Esposito and Ken Lien who is in charge of the Minnesota Mr. Basketball voting:

Tweet from @mrbasketballmn: "@Coach_JEsposito ....and who are we playing next year, Joe? The fans want/expect a tough non conference schedule."

Tweet from @Coach_JEsposito: "@mrbasketballmn we are in a tough league. Our non conference is critical that we don't play ourselves out of the dance."

Tweet from @mrbasketballmn: "@Coach_JEsposito...Sorry Joe, I dont buy it. Good competition prepares a team for strong conference play AND will put fannies in the seats"

Go Gophers!!

That exchange doesn't inspire confidence in me with regards to what's left TBD of the nonconference schedule.

In fairness to Joe/Tubby, our overall nonconference SOS isn't going to be a problem with who we'll face in the Bahamas, + @ Florida State and @ USC. However, what I think they fail/refuse to comprehend is that a lot of us season-ticket holders would like them to throw us a bone once in awhile (in November/December).

I'm a broken record, I know.

That exchange doesn't inspire confidence in me with regards to what's left TBD of the nonconference schedule.

In fairness to Joe/Tubby, our overall nonconference SOS isn't going to be a problem with who we'll face in the Bahamas + Florida State, but I think what they fail/refuse to comprehend is that a lot of us season-ticket holders would like them to throw us a bone once in awhile (in November/December).

I wouldn't say that, SS. Remember, a squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In fairness to Joe/Tubby, our overall nonconference SOS isn't going to be a problem with who we'll face in the Bahamas + Florida State, but I think what they fail/refuse to comprehend is that a lot of us season-ticket holders would like them to throw us a bone once in awhile (in November/December).

Yep, I've been saying for months that anyone hoping for a marquee home non-conference game is dreaming. No way Tubby is going to schedule a tough home game, knowing what the rest of his non-conference schedule looks like. Just no chance.

How much would one loss against a quality opponent really hurt their tourney chances? Vs. having that win over a top 200+ RPI squad, I mean. I know, it's all about getting wins, but I feel like the damage a loss like that would do is being embellished.

This exchange doesn't sound real great for the chances of that rumored big time local draw BCS opponent. I'd be happy with just getting a team like Butler or Creighton, much less a major BCS like Kansas or UCLA.

Just finish in the top 3 or 4 in the Big Ten and everything takes care of itself. Stop worrying about cashing in on enough weak sister opponents in the non-conference. Good grief- start getting a competitive and winning attitude Esposito/Tubby. Dream a little and then go out and do it.

How much would one loss against a quality opponent really hurt their tourney chances? Vs. having that win over a top 200+ RPI squad, I mean. I know, it's all about getting wins, but I feel like the damage a loss like that would do is being embellished.

They could possibly play three top 25 teams in the tournament and lose all three, you usually lose at least 1 or 2 of the other NC games, this year it doesn't make sense to add another tough apponent, Trevor comming back off the injury may not be 100% in the NC part of the schedule, why gamble, your strength of schedule is going to be pretty good anyway.

I'd agree with you. SS can probably speak better to this than I can, but a key to scheduling is that you must remember playing extremely crappy teams that play a lot of other crappy teams will cause you problems in terms of the RPI and with certain members of the selection committee.

Now, the OP is just a tweet from the director of basketball ops via his protected Twitter account... if the U came out and said this publicly.. I'd be pleased in some respect. "Hey... we've got a weak schedule at home.. but man, we're expecting tough nonconference opponents away from home and that was a consideration..." Sounds kind of weak, but maybe it's honest. I prefer hearing that than the nonsense from last year when the Gophers nonconference schedule was repeatedly called "the toughest in the B1G" based on faulty logic.

Anyway, who knows.. maybe Minnesota will have a few games this season that are interesting for some reason (i.e., Minnesota kids coming back to play, "star player" on a not-very-good team (Trey Z / Central Mich type of thing), crazy tall or hefty player that is entertaining to watch, etc). I'm all for an annual game vs Iowa State.

The truth is if the Gophers win the Battle 4 Atlantis -- heck, even win 2 of 3 -- the remainder of our nonconference schedule isn't likely to matter much. We'd likely have to fall completely flat on our face in the B1G (like we did in 2010-11 after NC wins over top-25 RPIers UNC & WV) to not make the tournament.

But if the Gophers only win one or get the goose egg in the Bahamas, they darn well better beat FSU and/or USC or they'll be putting all their eggs in the conference/BTT portion of the season. That's a dangerous way to do business.

Let us not worry...The Gophers will do well this year. What does "do well" mean??? Win a bunch of games, that we will.

Go Gophers!!!

I can't wait for the "PREDICT THE SCORE" contest, which I won last season with the most close score predictions, and I picked the Gophers almost every game.

Playing a quality non-conference opponent means a home and home agreement = less home games = less $$.

Follow the money.

Playing a quality non-conference opponent means a home and home agreement = less home games = less $$.

Follow the money.

If that's all that matters, then we should just schedule 11 nonconference home games every season, with no true road games or neutral-site exempt tournaments. And while we're at it we could try to convince Commisioner Delany to bail on the B1G agreements with the ACC and Pac 12 in order that we never go on the road, which would allow the U to get the maximum amount $$$$$$ possible.

Just finish in the top 3 or 4 in the Big Ten and everything takes care of itself. Stop worrying about cashing in on enough weak sister opponents in the non-conference. Good grief- start getting a competitive and winning attitude Esposito/Tubby. Dream a little and then go out and do it.

I totally agree.

At the end of the day its about tickt holders wanting a bigger name at home.. plain and simple. SOS is just fine for the Gophers of late and this year, our SOS will probably be one of the toughest in the country, but most of the non BIG games are away from the barn.. so this is a selfish thread and thats okay. I'm a selfish ticketholder that would like to be rewarded with a home game against quality competition. ITs not about a tougher schedule, we have that.

I will say that the team drew bad luck last year as USC sucked but thats normally a great home game.. so...oh well. I guess I will be happy that we are playing big time compeition somewhere.. I just wish it were here once in a while.

At the end of the day its about tickt holders wanting a bigger name at home.. plain and simple. SOS is just fine for the Gophers of late and this year, our SOS will probably be one of the toughest in the country, but most of the non BIG games are away from the barn.. so this is a selfish thread and thats okay. I'm a selfish ticketholder that would like to be rewarded with a home game against quality competition. ITs not about a tougher schedule, we have that.

I will say that the team drew bad luck last year as USC sucked but thats normally a great home game.. so...oh well. I guess I will be happy that we are playing big time compeition somewhere.. I just wish it were here once in a while.

You're sounding like Esposito! :)

Won't be one of the toughest in the country, but could be in the top 40.

The problem with USC is they've been penalized by the NCAA and actually don't have a very impressive history over the years (not to mention it's the PAC 12). It would be nice to see some tough nonconference games scheduled outside of tournaments/challenges.. even if they are on the road.

My thoughts exactly. Hey, if you're a competitor, you want to play the good ones and beat them. Esposito sounds scared. There's no way that wussy attitude doesn't rub off on the players.

You're sounding like Esposito! :)

Won't be one of the toughest in the country, but could be in the top 40.

The problem with USC is they've been penalized by the NCAA and actually don't have a very impressive history over the years (not to mention it's the PAC 12). It would be nice to see some tough nonconference games scheduled outside of tournaments/challenges.. even if they are on the road.

Hey now! :)

Seriously, if we play Duke, Memphis, etc. plus the BT, thats a pretty tough SOS. Not playing the Esposito card! I do think folks mistakenly blend the conversation between a tough overall SOS and a good home game during the non conference schedule. I'm not speaking for SS, but I think his main concern, as mine, is not getting to watch a top flight opponent at home. I am not worried about our SOS, its going to be pretty decent this year. I just want a good home game to watch.. but thats different than SOS.. as we are playing good competition this year.

I'm not speaking for SS, but I think his main concern, as mine, is not getting to watch a top flight opponent at home. I am not worried about our SOS, its going to be pretty decent this year. I just want a good home game to watch.

Touche, Rouser. Speaking for me spot on.

Granting one exception (last season USC + Va Tech), year after year, after year, after year. ... same old, same old. There's always some excuse or another.

But hey, call me a fool. I'm still holding out hope one of the remaining TBD games at Williams Arena (or Target Center/The X) will at least cause me to lift an eyebrow. And trust me, I'm not asking for any of the bluebloods (though that would be fine).

A Butler, Temple, VCU, Xavier, Providence, Rutgers, Iowa State, Kansas State, Creighton, Wichita State, New Mexico, San Diego State, Colorado, Oregon State, LSU, South Carolina, BYU, Gonzaga, Saint Mary's or a Utah State (to name 20 off the top of my head). ... is that really asking a lot to have 1 of those ilk (or 2 in the years we host the ACC) appear on the home slate more often than once in a blue moon?

I thought the excuse for a weak non-conf home schedule was that 'everyone is afraid to play us in the Barn'? Or was that an excuse for someone other than Esposito?

Couldn't you play yourself into the dance as well?

Yes. There's no question in my mind that we got into the NCAA tournament in 2009 because we beat Louisville. Without that win, we are in the NIT that season, IMO.

That's why I think we should play at least one game like that a season. A win can help, while a loss isn't all that damaging.

It is clear this staff doesn't think that way, however. That Louisville game was done when Pitino asked Tubby for a favor to play in that game. We haven't seen one like it scheduled since.

tjgopher said:
Yes. There's no question in my mind that we got into the NCAA tournament in 2009 because we beat Louisville. Without that win, we are in the NIT that season, IMO.

That's why I think we should play at least one game like that a season. A win can help, while a loss isn't all that damaging.

It is clear this staff doesn't think that way, however. That Louisville game was done when Pitino asked Tubby for a favor to play in that game. We haven't seen one like it scheduled since.

That game was on a neutral court. Not at Williams Arena. This year the Gophers are in a tournament with Duke and many other good teams. We've also played and beat UNC on a neutral floor.

The quality of opponents isn't the issue, as others have said, it is the location.

It appears that despite the fact that the focus this year was reseating Williams and getting more money out of the faithful, there is no consideration to rewarding the faithful.
I am a subscriber to 4 different season ticket packages - 2 sports, 2 music. Gopher BB is by far the one that gives the least in terms of perks for being a season ticket holder.

It appears that despite the fact that the focus this year was reseating Williams and getting more money out of the faithful, there is no consideration to rewarding the faithful.

...minus the brand new scoreboard/video board/sound system.

Couldn't you play yourself into the dance as well?

Yeah, if you get a scalp or two in nonconference play, it could make the difference between being in and out if your performance in conference play is bubblicious. Look at Michigan in 2009, they had OOC wins against Duke (2 seed that year) and UCLA (6 seed), and an extremely mediocre conference performance (9-9) with a QF exit in the Big Ten tourney, yet made the field at 20-13. The Gophers also had a mediocre performance in the Big Ten in 2009 (9-9 + a QF loss in BTT), but their OOC win over Louisville (#1 seed) really helped put them in the field. OSU was 10-8 in the Big Ten in 2008 but no OOC wins over any good (i.e., at-large range) seeds in the NCAA tournament meant they were out.

So ultimately an OOC schedule can make the difference between being in and being out, but that's only you get a good OOC win or two and your conference performance was mediocre. If you're not worried about having an average record in conference play, there's no real motivation for loading up with a lot of toughies in the nonconference games. You just need a few tough games to test your team and get prepared for conference play. Most teams do have at least one marquee OOC home game to give fans reason to buy nonconference tickets, though.

...minus the brand new scoreboard/video board/sound system.
I could definitely live without it if it meant better games. Who is looking at the scoreboard during the game? - plus they'll never replay anything controversial

I could definitely live without it if it meant better games. Who is looking at the scoreboard during the game? - plus they'll never replay anything controversial

Some HD Subway adds will definitely enhance my game day experience.

Shouldn't they really change the name from scoreboard to advertising-board.

Top Bottom