USC

The 12th Man

Reaction score
Love 'em or hate 'em, USC is smooooooth out there. Pretty impressive across the board. The offense makes 2nd and long look like child's play, the defense makes 3rd and short seem like no big deal, and the kicker puts the ball out of the endzone with ease.

Some day, some day...

In Indiana

This would be a great opportunity to see if they could play in all football weather or if they are strictly a warm weather team.

Love 'em or hate 'em, USC is smooooooth out there. Pretty impressive across the board. The offense makes 2nd and long look like child's play, the defense makes 3rd and short seem like no big deal, and the kicker puts the ball out of the endzone with ease.

Some day, some day...

Look at the recruiting record of Notre Dame the last few years and you can understand just how bad a coaching staff Notre Dame has. It was just reported that a Weis contract buy out is $10 million. Lotsa luck with that, eh?

Look at the recruiting record of Notre Dame the last few years and you can understand just how bad a coaching staff Notre Dame has. It was just reported that a Weis contract buy out is $10 million. Lotsa luck with that, eh?

Recruiting is not the end all, be all. It is not an exact science either. Just because a player is rated a 5 star out of high school it doesn't guarantee anything. I think a lot of it has to do with the recruiting ranking adjustments rivals make after a player commits. Players get bumped up the ranking when they commit to a school like Notre Dame sometimes. Floyd got moved up last year (deservingly so albeit after his Irish commit).

Does anyone honestly think Aliapate would have dropped from a 4 to 3 like he did after his U of M commit, if he had committed to ND?

But, even so, yes, ND has been poorly coached and has not lived up to expectations at all under Weis. Let's not just act like whoever get the number 1 class this year, will be the best in that nation 4 years later.

Floyd

Recruiting is not the end all, be all. It is not an exact science either. Just because a player is rated a 5 star out of high school it doesn't guarantee anything. I think a lot of it has to do with the recruiting ranking adjustments rivals make after a player commits. Players get bumped up the ranking when they commit to a school like Notre Dame sometimes. Floyd got moved up last year (deservingly so albeit after his Irish commit).

Does anyone honestly think Aliapate would have dropped from a 4 to 3 like he did after his U of M commit, if he had committed to ND?

But, even so, yes, ND has been poorly coached and has not lived up to expectations at all under Weis. Let's not just act like whoever get the number 1 class this year, will be the best in that nation 4 years later.

I don't disagree with you about players that commit to the big schools getting bumped up but Floyd got bumped up to 5 stars because he was the best receiver at the Army All America game and it was obvious. He probably was only at 4 stars instead of 5 because he played his high school ball in Minnesota which gets to a second bias.

Recruiting rankings like company valuations?

I look at recruiting rankings like company stock valuations. Sometimes there is very little science to one company being valued at x times earnings while other companies trade at y times earnings, other than the old adage "Past performance is the best indicator of future results". I don't have a problem with a recruits "star value" going up when he gets a Notre Dame or USC offer, just like a company stock going up when Carl Icahn buys shares or joins the board. However, I would hope that much like a free market, the recruiting rankings would also correct themselves, i.e. a ND offer shouldn't necessarily be worth as much as it used to be.

Top Bottom