Who to cheer for besides our Gophs today

jjgopher

Reaction score
Games we need to follow throughout the day and who to root for.

Virginia Tech over Miami Fl- Both are bubble teams but Va Tech probably needs this win and to also beat UNC.

Louisville over Providence- Providence probably out with the L, but in with a W.

Ole Miss over Kentucky- we don't need Kentucky to start winning games in this weak tourney and somehow have a chance to grab an Automatic bid

Iowa over Michigan- Michigan swept us, but a loss over Iowa would hurt their chances greatly

ASU over Arizona- Arizona is one of the last 4 teams in on most brackets right now, a loss might send them as one of the last four out

Texas over Kansas St- A loss would probably eliminate KSU's chances

Indiana over Penn St- Penn St would also probably be on the outside looking in with this bad loss

UNLV vs. Sad Diego St- Toss up, but go with SDSU, UNLV is playing the tourney on their home court, so they have a better chance of winning the tourney

NC State over Maryland- Probably would end Maryland's chances of an at-large

Richmond over Dayton- would put Dayton squarely on the bubble, but probably would still get a bid

Virginia over BC- like Dayton, and also us, a loss would hurt them, but still could get an at-large

Arkansas over Florida- probably would end Florida's at-large hopes.

Lots of games to follow today. Even with a Gopher loss, if lots of these games goes our way, we should still have a good chance at getting in when comparing resumes. But we can also end all this speculation with a GOPHERS WIN.

Final thing, dunno if this has been posted or not but if you go http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

it gives you all the experts predictions on who's in or out. Looking at the ones updated from today or yesterday, we are looking at a 10 seed, and should feel really safe with a win today.

GO GOPHS!

Great post. I will print this out so I know who to cheer for at the sports bar during lunch and tonight! I also like the complilation bracket link. GET 'ER DONE GOPHERS.

Good list, jj. My thoughts:

VT/Miami - I agree that VT winning is better today, but what really worries me is tomorrow against a potentially Lawson-less UNC. If either of these teams beats UNC they are in.

Getting FLA and UK out of the SEC tourney today would help immensely.

Dayton and BC are in regardless.

All of the karma I can muster will be on the B10 tourney today. Gophs + IU + I-O-way would lock it up.

Dayton should be in. I think we'd be better off having them keep winning. We don't need a temple or a UMass snatching the A-10 autobid. We have to hope for the A-10 autobid to stay with either Xavier or Dayton.

Should Baylor beating Kansas be of some concern to us?

I would think so, they started the season out on fire beating providence and kansas state, tx@nm

17 wins right now, a bad conference record, they get to the finals in their tourny and beat kansas today...watch out..new bubble coming in.

Granted, I'm no expert in all of this. But as far as VT and Miami goes, it seems like one of them will likely get in. I guess I'm not sure how much teams jump in the RPI from wins against these teams, but it would seem that adding a quality win in the ACC would help their chances. So it would seem that cheering for VT presumes we have a chance of neither getting in, but if one is getting in, it would seem like we want Miami to win, as they could remain more on the bubble with a loss than VT can. Or maybe not.

yeah baylor would have to win today and beat missouri to even have a chance, if they wouldnt win the tourney... but even then it would be a slight chance so we dont have to worry that much

Good News in Virginia Tech huge over Miami...burst the 'Canes bubble. Now Va Tech needs to lose to UNC.

If Providence still had a shot they probably lost it in losing to Louisville today.

arizona lost
miami lost
providence lost

we should be in over all those teams. good afternoon for us so far

UNLV vs. Sad Diego St- Toss up, but go with SDSU, UNLV is playing the tourney on their home court, so they have a better chance of winning the tourney

Lunardi has UNLV in and SDSU as the last team out. I'd rather have SDSU lose to eliminate the team that has the best chance to move to the in side of the bubble.

I'm obviously less concerned about the Gophers now and I'm just thinking it would be cool for the Big Ten to have 8 teams in the tourney (PSU on the bubble).

kansas state also lost. with all these teams losing, it looks like as though we didn't necessarily have to win today. however, the game tomorrow will be alot more enjoyable and we can be alot looser watching it

If we're still going to be nervous about something, it should simply be that the committee will balk at letting 8 teams in from the Big Ten when the Big East and ACC 'are so clearly superior' if you believe ESPN. Thus, the biggest help would have been for Michigan or Penn State to lose. Obviously Michigan has already won, and Penn State is well on thier way. I think Penn State would have to win tomorrow while we lose for them to get in ahead of us, though.

This should be irrelevant as the Comittee swears they don't look at # of teams in per conference, but I don't really believe that. LSU and Tennessee are the only two SEC teams that deserve bids at this point, but do you really believe that's all they'll get? The chariman of the committee is thier commissioner. They will get 4 teams in. Just watch. If the SEC gets 4, can the Big 10 still get 8? Who knows.

If we're still going to be nervous about something, it should simply be that the committee will balk at letting 8 teams in from the Big Ten when the Big East and ACC 'are so clearly superior' if you believe ESPN. Thus, the biggest help would have been for Michigan or Penn State to lose. Obviously Michigan has already won, and Penn State is well on thier way. I think Penn State would have to win tomorrow while we lose for them to get in ahead of us, though.

This should be irrelevant as the Comittee swears they don't look at # of teams in per conference, but I don't really believe that. LSU and Tennessee are the only two SEC teams that deserve bids at this point, but do you really believe that's all they'll get? The chariman of the committee is thier commissioner. They will get 4 teams in. Just watch. If the SEC gets 4, can the Big 10 still get 8? Who knows.

In dry runs with media involvement using the exact same process, conference doesn't come into question at all. They dont bring it up. Check out Dave Revsine's blog on BTN's site for a full breakdown. I am not sure how I ended up reading that blog entry but it was informational, he participated in the mock selection.

Also in the book, "The Last Dance" by John Feinstein chronicling everything that goes into the tourney from the refs, camera guys, players, coaches and committee he states that conference has no bearing on who is selected and there is not one hard and fast thing they look at.

Wasn't Baylor 5-11 in conference? I would think they will have to go to finals if not win it to get in. Good to see providence lose and get blown out by Louisville, which will also help us in several ways.

In dry runs with media involvement using the exact same process, conference doesn't come into question at all. They dont bring it up. Check out Dave Revsine's blog on BTN's site for a full breakdown. I am not sure how I ended up reading that blog entry but it was informational, he participated in the mock selection.

Also in the book, "The Last Dance" by John Feinstein chronicling everything that goes into the tourney from the refs, camera guys, players, coaches and committee he states that conference has no bearing on who is selected and there is not one hard and fast thing they look at.

Yes, offically that is all true. But I have a very hard time believing they are only going to let 2 SEC teams in if Florida and South Carolina lose early this week-end for example. They may not discuss it. But when discussing Florida or South Carolina's resume in relation to say Penn State's or even Minnesota's they are all darn sure aware that they are debating putting an 8th team from the Big Ten over a 3rd from the SEC. No sense pretending thier not.

Howeda, couldn't agree more... the prospect of PSU winning another tmw has me very concerned. That would arguably put the Gophers at the 8 spot in the B10 if we were to lose to MSU. Resume or not, that's got to come into play a bit. Now, what are people thinking if wisky loses tomorrow, might we be at parity with them when factoring in our sweep?? That could be helpful.

Wish Indy or Iowa would have nabbed a victory and I could rest much easier.

Top Bottom