This could bode well for the Gophers

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Quoted in USA Today, Selection Committee chairman Mike Slive said road wins and victories against top-50 teams will be stressed. If that's the case, the Gophers are in pretty good shape. A decent 5-6 road/neutral (with 2 wins vs. likely NCAA qualifiers, Louisville & Bucky) and 5 top-50 wins, a good number for a bubble team. In comparison, fellow bubble teams San Diego State, South Carolina & Temple only have 1 top-50 win apiece. Florida & Providence have just 2 apiece. This convinces me even more that the Gophers are a lock if they beat Northwestern today.

Nevertheless, if the Gophers lose today, you will hear no complaints from me if the Gophers don't get selected. A stinky finish to the season gives the committee a reason to keep a team out. I think they'd frown upon a team that had only won 3 games since Feb. 1, with one of those wins being Indiana.

Question for you...

when it gets to the bubble selections does the committee factor in the bubble teams record against teams already in the field? (Cornell, Nodak St, Louisville, etc)

Quoted in USA Today, Selection Committee chairman Mike Slive said road wins and victories against top-50 teams will be stressed. If that's the case, the Gophers are in pretty good shape. A decent 5-6 road/neutral (with 2 wins vs. likely NCAA qualifiers, Louisville & Bucky) and 5 top-50 wins, a good number for a bubble team. In comparison, fellow bubble teams San Diego State, South Carolina & Temple only have 1 top-50 win apiece. Florida & Providence have just 2 apiece. This convinces me even more that the Gophers are a lock if they beat Northwestern today.

Nevertheless, if the Gophers lose today, you will hear no complaints from me if the Gophers don't get selected. A stinky finish to the season gives the committee a reason to keep a team out. I think they'd frown upon a team that had only won 3 games since Feb. 1, with one of those wins being Indiana.

If the Gophers do not win today and do not get selected, it would depend on who got selected ahead of them and why. They still have 21 wins, and a few of them were pretty impressive, though they have not necessarily been consistent. If someone with 18 wins got selected ahead of them, or someone whose wins were more Div II competition, then I might have a few problems with that. I think the hot at the end theory only holds up so far.

If the Gophers do not win today and do not get selected, it would depend on who got selected ahead of them and why. They still have 21 wins, and a few of them were pretty impressive, though they have not necessarily been consistent. If someone with 18 wins got selected ahead of them, or someone whose wins were more Div II competition, then I might have a few problems with that. I think the hot at the end theory only holds up so far.

Actually, they only have 20 wins in the eyes of the selection committee. The win over Concordia doesn't count.

Top Bottom