Incoming Gophers freshman Skjei Selected 28th By New York Rangers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Incoming freshman defenseman Brady Skjei was selected in the first round, 28th overall, by the New York Rangers in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft this evening at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.

Skjei, who is viewed as one of the best skaters in the draft, is the 18th Gopher to be chosen in the first round and the first since Nick Bjugstad was picked 19th overall by Florida in 2010.

The 6'3", 200-pound Lakeville, Minn., native spent the last two seasons with the U.S. National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich. In two seasons, he combined for 28 points (5g-23a) in 92 games. He also helped the U.S. win the gold medal at the recent Under-18 World Championship and led the way defensively with a plus-10 rating.

Prior to joining the U.S. National Team Development Program, Skjei played for Lakeville North High School and helped lead his team to the state tournament in 2010.

"Brady is a tremendous skater for somebody his size," said Minnesota coach Don Lucia. "He has a great reach and has tremendous potential. With added strength he has a very high ceiling."

Skjei's coach with the U.S. National Team Development Program also spoke highly of the soon-to-be Minnesota freshman.

"His game has improved greatly, both offensively and defensively," U.S. National Team Development Program head coach Danton Cole told NHL.com. "He's a tremendous skater and a good example of a guy who understands the little nuances of playing defense. He's thrived in the program and is a physical specimen; he's big and strong and has made great strides in learning how to play the game. His angling is good and he has put himself in a really good position moving forward in his career."

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/2012/06/skjei-selected-xxth-by-xxxxxx.html

Go Gophers!!

The New York Rangers have a good team so thats good for him.

How long do you think he will stick around with the Gophers?

I bet he's with us for two years. He's got good size and is a great skater.

Go Gophers!!

I think this kid will be here for atleast three years, while things obviously change, the Rangers are pretty stocked with young talanted defenseman, no reason to rush him. Skjei reminds me of Aaron Ness in terms of style, skates well, moves the puck, but with more size, hopfully he uses that size to develop more of mean streak, although that's seems to be more an attitude than a skill

I think this kid will be here for atleast three years, while things obviously change, the Rangers are pretty stocked with young talanted defenseman, no reason to rush him. Skjei reminds me of Aaron Ness in terms of style, skates well, moves the puck, but with more size, hopfully he uses that size to develop more of mean streak, although that's seems to be more an attitude than a skill

Just like all of us, I just want to win.

We have the talent but do we have the chemistry?

Just like all of us, I just want to win.

We have the talent but do we have the chemistry?

I think that's part of the reason a lot of us are pumped up about next year. They seemed to have good chemistry last year and almost everyone is back. The huge ? of a GT is still lingering. . .

do we have the chemistry?

In hockey, chemistry comes from team-wide intensity. Coach Guentzel will see to it that we have plenty of that. I'm not too worried, despite the giant question mark in net.

In hockey, chemistry comes from team-wide intensity. Coach Guentzel will see to it that we have plenty of that. I'm not too worried, despite the giant question mark in net.

Just win!

Thats all that matters.

Top Bottom