Amazing article on Kentucky basketball

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
This really has nothing to do with Tubby, in fact I don't remember his name ever coming up in the article, but it is a long pice on ESPN.com by Dana ONeil titled,

A look at a blue blood on the bubble, Dana O'Neil spends four dark days with the struggling Kentucky Wildcats

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3967418

Don't mean this to turn into a Tubby thread or a bashing kentucky but I thought it was extremely interesting and gives a pretty good look at what Billy G is up against.

Situations like Kentucky are really difficult for coaches and it's easy to see why Tubby decided to leave and come to Minnesota. There is nowhere to go but down at Kentucky.

If you win, they're mad at you for not winning more. If you win more, you better just keep on winning more. The alternative is the fan base will rip you a new one. And if you lose, well, good luck making it out of Lexington with all your limbs intact.

It's an almost untenable situation for just about any coach. I don't feel sorry for Gillespie. After all, he walked into this voluntarily. But it certainly isn't a position that would lend itself to any kind of long-term longevity. Passion for a program is one thing. But some of the stuff that apparently goes on there really crosses the line imo.

The Uk Fans Of The 2000's Are WAY Different Than Those Of My Youth

Cat fans in the 60's and 70's were totally supportive of their Wildcats no matter what. They would draw more for PRACTICE before the annual Notre Dame game at Freedom Hall in Louisville than most teams would draw for their GAMES.

Two things happened. UK excelled in the 1990's unlike it had since the 1940's. The younger UK fans thought that the 90's were normal, year after year results for UK. They hadn't been that way in 50 years.

The second thing was the growth of the Internet. It magnifies a hundred idiots into a million.

Top Bottom