Selection Sunday-question about 'ugly wins'

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I don't know if you can answer this, but I'm curious to your thoughts. It sounds like Providence struggled to get past DePaul and win the game today. Let's say they get beat by Louisville tomorrow. I would assume that the committee members had a chance to watch today's game with more focus than they may have seen Minnesota's loss to Michigan or other bubble teams in the past couple weeks. If they say bubble team Providence struggle to get past putrid DePaul, do you think that will have some bearing on their decision? I know it's a difficult question to answer, as of course, the committee members should only be looking at the body of work, but if the last they've seen of a team is a sluggish Providence versus a spirited Florida (or whoever), do you think that enters into it?

Speaking of Ugly Wins....during a big ten game this past weekend on BTN...maybe during the Minnesota vs. Michigan game...some commentator made mention that the committee "will take into consideration that Louisville played the Thursday night before traveling across country to take on Minnesota, and that had some effect on their play"....that's ridiculous.

Coolhand, I don't factor in whether wins are ugly or pretty. It's either a W or L. If the selection committee were required to break down every bubble teams' games and had to decide whether each game was an ugly or pretty win or an ugly or pretty loss, they wouldn't have any time to do anything else. I suspect if Providence beats Louisville today, they could have all kinds of ugly wins on their resume, but they'd still get in. Here's hoping the Friars fall short.

Wow if the selection committee has to determine the aesthetics of the games that would be a monumental task. They might have to stop keeping score and have judges sitting on the sidelines determined how lovely one team looked on the court. "I give NC a 9.8 for creativity but only a 7.9 for execution." Minnesota's win over Iowa was a ... wait it was ugly so it was not really a win. Not like the really beautiful win against Illinois.

I agree, there are too many bubble teams and too many games at the end to rate each team's pretty/ugly wins or losses. W or L, that's all that matters for the bubble teams. eek it out however you can, even 38-33

Top Bottom