2012-2013 Gopher Baseball Recruits

Goldy Gopher

Reaction score
I figured we could get a place for new recruits for next year, if anyone has any information about new recruits or committed recruits please post about them.
Committed Recruits
Dan Motl OF 6'0" 175 Burnsville
Matt Stemper IF 5'11" 175 Burnsville
Jordan Smith OF 6'2" 210 Eden Prairie
Joey Brettingen 1B ? ? ? Hopkins
Troy Traxler C 5'11" 175 La Crescent
Dalton Sawyer LHP 6'3" 185 Waconia
Connor Schaefbauer SS 6'0" 175 Sioux Falls,SD
Alec Crawford RHP 6'2" Wilton,IA Des Moines Area Community College

Other Divison 1 recruits from Minnesota
Kasey Ralston RHP Holy Family Catholic-Indiana
Jake Matthys RHP Spring Lake Park-Kansas State
Tim Shannon RHP Hopkins-Michigan
Michael Hadden RHP Prior Lake-Nebraska
Mitchell Brown RHP Rochester Century-San Diego
Brent Strong LHP Andover-Bradley
Nathan Strong C Andover-Bradley
Tyler Hudson IF Breck-Lafayette
TJ Pigeon C Burnsville-North Dakota
AJ Anderson RHP Alexandria-North Dakota
Andrew Favaro RHP Robbinsdale Armstrong-North Dakota
Adam Lambrecht RHP Burnsville-North Dakota State
Adam Moorse RHP Eastview-North Dakota State
Tanner Schumacher RHP Blaine-North Dakota State
Sean Terres IF Roccori-North Dakota State
Brian Vanderwoude RHP Burnsville-North Dakota State
Cameron Mingo RHP Eden Prairie-Princeton

That must be a pretty new thing for ESPN, it looks like they are missing some players but it should help keep track of baseball recruits and help the exposure of college baseball a little more.

It stinks that the gophers couldn't land Mitchell Brown from Rochester. He was the top player coming out of Minnesota this year.

I've watched Brettingen play a couple of times this season. Tonight at Eden Prairie he popped up, hit a ball into the hole and beat it out, showing good speed. Third at bat hit one to deep to right center, ended up with a triple. Slid into third base, but easily could have been a stand up 3 bagger. Fourth time up popped up again. Really didn't have any plays at third tonight. Tim Shannon threw the 7th inning for Hopkins. Anderson and Fornasiere in attendance.

I wonder if there's any chance Shannon (Hopkins) will consider the Gophers now that Michigan has fired its head coach?

I wonder if there's any chance Shannon (Hopkins) will consider the Gophers now that Michigan has fired its head coach?

Did notice when Shannon took the mound to throw the last inning in the game I watched, Fornasiere quickly rushed to a good spot to get the radar gun on him. (Side note, Oakes was at the Jefferson-Orono game yesterday charting junior LHP Kevin Woebke of Jefferson, who also hits #3 for them.)

Brettingen and his Hopkins team played against Wayzata this evening. Shannon on the mound. Oakes in attendance, once again with a radar gun and charting Shannon. Wayzata hit some balls hard against him. He did seem to settle in as the game went on. Brettingen with very good speed. Hit a ball hard to left field which the player let get by him just a little ways. Brettingen hustled to third on it. He also hit a slow roller to the first baseman and beat the throw to the pitcher covering first base. He was intentionally walked in another at bat.

A couple Gopher recruits still playing in the state tournament facing off today. Eden Prairie 4 Hopkins 0 FINAL. Anyone who was at the game feel free to add to this.
EP-Jordan Smith 1-3 single, Hop- Joey Brettingen 1-3 single. Also Tim Shannon (Michigan) started for Hopkins and pitched into the 5th giving up 8 hits and 3 runs and Cameron Mingo (Princeton) pitched for Eden Prairie throwing a complete game 5 hit shoutout and giving up no hits after the 2nd inning until the 7th inning when he gave up 1 hit. I see EP has Danny Halloran who was 2-4 with 2 runs anyone know if thats Matts brother and if he's playing college anywhere? I've also heard the Gophers have at least 1 more recruit coming in next year, but can't seem to find the name, anyone have any information on this?
EDIT I have found another incoming recruit and I believe that is the last one in this class as of now. Alec Crawford of Wilton,Iowa who played at Des Moines Area Community College. Here's what Rob Fornasiere had to say on him- “Alec could be a projected starting pitcher for us in years to come. Pitching in the Junior College World Series, Alec was named all-tournament. He has a very quick arm with command of three pitches.”

Hill-Murray ends Hopkins season 6-1 Joey Brettingen 1-3.
Bemidji beats Eden Prairie 8-6 in 8 innings sending EP to 3rd place game, sounded like very controversial play for EP to force extras, Jordan Smith 2-4 and hit by a pitch.

Top Bottom