Success vs. the wildcats

UptownMaroon&Gold

longtime gopher sufferer
Reaction score
I'm itching for Thursday morning, can't wait......I hope we have a plan to try to stop Coble and Moore? If you'll recall they hardly played a minute in the second half at the barn, when we beat them by 25. (If they could get the flu again, that would be great) And for god's sake, make them put the ball on the floor to beat us, if we let them shoot non-contested 3 pointers, we could be in trouble.

And on the other side of the ball, someone please penetrate their 1-3-1 zone, and kick to an open shooter, who can then shoot an open shot, drive again, or make another quick pass, etc. If I have to watch Nolen and co. throw those worthless lob passes back and forth 8 ft. beyond the 3 pt line, I am going to want to shoot myself.

Ok, that was my rant.....but otherwise, Im trying to be positive, pumped for thursday.

1-3-1 zone & two keys...

Yes AN needs to attack that zone... If he does (and has a low TO game) I think we win. If not, it could be a long day for our favorite team. LW also needs to protect the ball. It should be very interesting to see if he can have a complete game.

Prediction: Hoffarber has a HUGE game, starts draining 3's like last year...GOPHERS WIN

I would say we need to PRESS THEM. Anybody who has watched them will attest the NU struggles when being pressed. Purdue at Purdue, they almost blew that double digit lead in the last couple minutes when Purdue started pressing. Against Illinois, they did blow the 8 point lead once Illnois started pressing. Turn the game into "40 minutes of hell" and we should be alright.

I would say we need to PRESS THEM. Anybody who has watched them will attest the NU struggles when being pressed. Purdue at Purdue, they almost blew that double digit lead in the last couple minutes when Purdue started pressing. Against Illinois, they did blow the 8 point lead once Illnois started pressing. Turn the game into "40 minutes of hell" and we should be alright.

Agreed! And if any team has the depth to do it, we do.

Turnovers and their three point shooting......the only way we will lose.

I agree with the 40 minutes of 94 feet by 50 feet of pure unadulterated hell to pay for the 'Cats.

They run the 1-3-1 so load the floor with shooters (ha! I even laughed as I typed that.) Seriously, I would love to see Devron Bostick out there. Why has he not been getting minutes? Am I missing an injury or something?

Why has he not been getting minutes?
Because he plays Matador Defense...

Ole!
xcpy4i.jpg

Because he plays Matador Defense...

I always wonder if that is really why he isn't playing. I don't think he is as good as Nolen or DJ on defense, but I never noticed him getting lit up in the few minutes he gets each game. I still feel like he could really help and I don't understand why he is the odd man out.

I know I'm a Purdue fan but I have, so I am biased to a hard nosed man defense but I have always wondered why more teams don't play the "40 Minutes of Hell" style. I know it's alot of work for your 1, 2, and 3(possiblely 4 depending on who you are playing) and you need to be quite deep at the gaurd spot to do it, but it seems to work. I guess my idea on it is that you have 94 to use to prevent them from scoring why not use all 94.

Also I would rather have a player who is willing to work for 94 feet and than a player who would work at a lazy 2-3 zone, I believe it says alot about a player and a program.

Well played sir. It seems the whole damn team gives up buckets though. If we could just sink some shots we might pull one out more often.

Also I would rather have a player who is willing to work for 94 feet and than a player who would work at a lazy 2-3 zone, I believe it says alot about a player and a program.

I would say a true 2-3 Zone is more tiring that man-on-man. Man defense you get short rests, when you're on the weak side of the floor. A true zone, you are always rotating. (But full court is obviously more tiring than a zone)

Now, there are plenty of people out there who play a lazy zone, but they tend to get lit up while in that zone.

I would say a true 2-3 Zone is more tiring that man-on-man. Man defense you get short rests, when you're on the weak side of the floor. A true zone, you are always rotating. (But full court is obviously more tiring than a zone)

Now, there are plenty of people out there who play a lazy zone, but they tend to get lit up while in that zone.

I disagree. In a zone you have a general area of the floor to cover so when the ball is on the weak side you can really sink and rest. But with a man you have to chase your man all over the court and though a ton of screens espeically so if they are a shooter(Curry, Meeks, Nietzel last year) which can really wear you out quickly. Yes, can sink when the ball is on the weak side you are far more likely to have to rotate over to play help defense.

Also I think you can the number of team that play a REAL tough 2-3 zone in so-called BCS conference on your fingers. There are many more team that play tough man defense.

Now with a 1-3-1 zone, I think they give alot of teams fits because players don't grow up seeing them and hardly ever see them in college basketball so they really don't know how to attack it right away.

you can't disagree with me.

It's not allowed.

:D (for the folks that need the smiley face)

I'm not a great X's O's guy in BB so I could be way off. But my understanding with the 1-3-1 is that it forces alot of side to side movement and shuts down the pass to the bigs. You either have to light it up from the three to make them cheat out to get it inside, or you have to drive the lane and make them cheat in to allow for a full perimiter game.

it seems to me after we got beat up by this D the first time we've been doing better and better at driving the lane. i don't think it's any coincidence Nolan and West are starting again. I'm looking for the gophs to beat that D this go. Also watch for hoff as SF often looking to get the kick out for the three.

i am convinced we'll beat that D this time.

40 minutes?

Problem with 40 min of hell against NU means you play MSU the next night with 40 min of quicksand.

Problem with 40 min of hell against NU means you play MSU the next night with 40 min of quicksand.

That's fine. We need to win Thursday at all costs, fatigue be damned. Beating MSU isn't really that important, and sadly we probably can't beat them no matter what.

That's fine. We need to win Thursday at all costs, fatigue be damned. Beating MSU isn't really that important, and sadly we probably can't beat them no matter what.

Exactamundo! We lose to NU it's NIT. We beat NU it's NCAA. It's that simple.

Top Bottom