To the person in charge of the public address comments during time outs-

shikenjanski

Urinal Donor
Reaction score
You are a bone head.

(I'm not blaming the PA announcer if this wasn't his call. But if this was his decision, this message is for him.)

In the second half, Ralph made a very acrobatic basket off of a sweet feed from DJ and on the defensive end we made a stop. At that point most of the crowd was standing, cheering and waiting to sing the Rouser. But guess what? The PA announcer came on to announce that Abu-Shamala was awarded player of the game.

So there you have it. The crowd was up and ready to cheer. But instead of playing the rouser, the PA announcer delivered a major buzz kill to the Barn.

Can't that stuff be more fluid? Couldn't the band leader just start playing the rouser? Couldn't we have crowned JAS with the player-of-the-game honors later?

The one chance to seize on the energy of the usually morose Gopher crowd was wasted. Well done.

You are a bone head.

(I'm not blaming the PA announcer if this wasn't his call. But if this was his decision, this message is for him.)

In the second half, Ralph made a very acrobatic basket off of a sweet feed from DJ and on the defensive end we made a stop. At that point most of the crowd was standing, cheering and waiting to sing the Rouser. But guess what? The PA announcer came on to announce that Abu-Shamala was awarded player of the game.

So there you have it. The crowd was up and ready to cheer. But instead of playing the rouser, the PA announcer delivered a major buzz kill to the Barn.

Can't that stuff be more fluid? Couldn't the band leader just start playing the rouser? Couldn't we have crowned JAS with the player-of-the-game honors later?

The one chance to seize on the energy of the usually morose Gopher crowd was wasted. Well done.

The entire game is scripted by the marketing department....there is no room for ad lib.

Couldn't agree more. The second that happened you could just feel the energy in The Barn drop through the floor. Totally ridiculous.

I never thought Williams Arena could turn into the Target Center with it's corporate sponsors and graveyard energy level, but it's happened, and it's a travesty.

DOes anyone in charge read these boards? If not, maybe somebody with connections can get the news to the appropriate people.

DOes anyone in charge read these boards? If not, maybe somebody with connections can get the news to the appropriate people.

I doubt they would listen even if they did read these boards. I hated it when I was in band and we were on a great run and everyone wants to hear the rouser, but ohwait! 30 second commercial to kill the crowd first.

I don't think it will ever change.

Totally agree. Skip the guessing games, contests and promotions. Save the promotions for halftime. It definitely hurts the atmosphere.

From my vantage point, it appeared as though the band director was ready to start the Rouser; however, he knew that they had to plug another promo first. By the time it was over, the energy died off.

This thread needs to be sent to Maturi. Also, I wish somebody with decision making authority would dump the ultra cheesy audio system in the Barn. Use the band all the time....maybe slightly amplified. That's were real NCAA basketball atmosphere comes from anyway. The buzz kill created by JAS being named player of the game was about as stupid of a move as I've seen in the barn. Let's hope that isn't something that going to continue. I don't recall it being done during the Eastern Washington game.

Boston Scientific Heart of the Game award occurs every game over the course of the last few years. It is one of the many atmosphere killers at Williams

This is a problem. I totally agree that the canned promos, etc., ruin some of the buzz in the arena. But, those promotions generate literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue. There is an arms race in college athletics and those revenue-generating promotions help the U keep up with the rest of the world as best they can. When you are paying your current head coach nearly $2 million per year and still writing checks to your last head coach, then we probably have to live with these nickel and dime promos, unfortunately.

Exactly what my rant during the
Eastern Washington game was all about. Anyone with a brain can make these advertisments fit into the flow of the game. Just let the band lead going into these timeouts.
Also they need to stop saying "fans get on your feet its time for the tee shirt toss"....No shit sherlock. I don't think you need to remind people to get up when there is a free tee shirt coming your way. That last sentence was a joke. It fascinates me how people get so excited for a $2 tee shirt or rubber ball.

And PLEASEEEEEEEEEE get someone else to sing the national anthem. It took 15 minutes and her voice wasn't very good. I went out and did 4 laps around the new football stadium in the time it took her to get through the song. Painful.

There definitely needs to be some room for adlib, and there are tons of time out where they can cram ads in if they need to. There is no reason why commercial xyz can't be held back one time out, or appear earlier in the game if there is a segment of the game. And if the advertisers don't like it. I have a hard time believing tree trimmers are the only local business willing to advertise.

Top Bottom