Did anybody see Gottlieb?

gophersfan783

Reaction score
Gottlieb on Sportcenter during the In or out segment says right now the Gophers are out. He also believes we need to beat Northwestern and probably Michigan State to get in. He said we will be squarely on the bubble if we only beat Northwestern. I thought this was kind of funny given that every mock bracket still has us in. Even if we lose to Northwestern, we're not completely dead in the water. On the other hand, he had St. Mary's and Arizona in? I find it hard to put St. mary's in over the gophers right now; if we lose Thursday then maybe. I think he still hates us because he was forced to do the ugly Gophers/Iowa game this year! Did anybody else see this? But honestly it doesn't really matter. It's hard to respect Gottleib's opinion anyways.

Gottlieb on Sportcenter during the In or out segment says right now the Gophers are out. He also believes we need to beat Northwestern and probably Michigan State to get in. He said we will be squarely on the bubble if we only beat Northwestern. I thought this was kind of funny given that every mock bracket still has us in. Even if we lose to Northwestern, we're not completely dead in the water. On the other hand, he had St. Mary's and Arizona in? I find it hard to put St. mary's in over the gophers right now; if we lose Thursday then maybe. I think he still hates us because he was forced to do the ugly Gophers/Iowa game this year! Did anybody else see this? But honestly it doesn't really matter. It's hard to respect Gottleib's opinion anyways.

He hates Minnesota after we harrassed him last year when he came here.

Caught that. He IMO was too cold (during the Iowa game @ Iowa) to 'like Minnesota' ....plus it was a typical low scoring game. I don't value much about what he has to say about who's in or who's out.

I find it hard to put St. mary's in over the gophers right now; if we lose Thursday then maybe.

St. Mary's barely deserves an NIT bid. Their SOS is 179. Their "best" win is Providence or Utah State. Losses to UTEP, Portland, Santa Clara, Gonzaga (3 times).

Ignore Gottlieb. He's been a Tubby hater forever..even during his days at UK.

He thinks Hoffarber is right handed.

He doesn't know @$%#

Gottlieb believes we will be squarely on the bubble if we only beat Northwestern. On the other hand, he had St. Mary's and Arizona in?

There is simply no way a person can take this position (as of now) and consider themselves a "basketball" expert. None.

I also got a kick out of another one of their experts Duke's Jason Williams. The other night they were playing "who's in/who's out" and Williams said EVERY team he was asked about was "IN". It literally would be impossible for all of the teams he said would be in to be in, unless of course, they expanded the field to 100 teams. I guess he didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Here's what I like about Doug: He at least has an opinion and he isn't afraid to ruffle some feathers. There are too many ESPN talking heads that won't say anything bad about anybody.

People don't always agree with Doug, but I find him to be good. He almost always does his homework and he's willing to step on toes. I like that.

Here's what I like about Doug: He at least has an opinion and he isn't afraid to ruffle some feathers. There are too many ESPN talking heads that won't say anything bad about anybody.

People don't always agree with Doug, but I find him to be good. He almost always does his homework and he's willing to step on toes. I like that.

Agreed. The Jay Williams "everybody's in" thing sorta says it all.

Anyone who says the Gophers are locks is delusional. They are the 8 seed in an 11 team conference. They had a miserable February. Teams like Maryland, Florida & Providence all have legitimate arguments to be ahead of us.

Teams like Maryland, Florida & Providence all have legitimate arguments to be ahead of us.
Show me the arguments on why any of the above should be in before us.

Providence:
18-12
RPI 70
SOS 45
2 Top 50 wins
Bad loss to Northeastern

Florida:
22-9 in terrible SEC
RPI 48
SOS 86
2 Top 50 wins
Horrific loss to Georgia

Maryland:
18-12
RPI 67
SOS 25
3 Top 50 wins
Terrible losses to Morgan St and Virginia

Minnesota:
21-9
RPI 40
SOS 40
5 Top 50 wins
Worst loss was to bubble team NU with RPI of 69

We were .500 in the 2nd best RPI conference in America. We have a better overall RPI, more Top 50 wins, and no bad losses compared to the other 3 teams listed.

If any of those 3 get in before us, someone on the committee was slipped a suitcase of Benjamins.

Agreed. The Jay Williams "everybody's in" thing sorta says it all.

Anyone who says the Gophers are locks is delusional. They are the 8 seed in an 11 team conference. They had a miserable February. Teams like Maryland, Florida & Providence all have legitimate arguments to be ahead of us.

You're full of it if you think Florida, Maryland, and Providence should be ahead the Gophers. You're on a Gopher fan board...if you saying that crap on here and are a Gopher fan, you best be listing stats on why you'd choose those teams over the Gophers.

Somehow I knew you would have that reaction to Gottlieb.

Here's the thing: Nobody knows anything right now. There are still a bunch of games to be played. Until that happens people can say whether teams are in or out and it is all speculation. There are so many different ways to look at each team and depending on how you do that, you get different answers.

The only bracket that matters is the one that gets released on Sunday night. And we don't know exactly what the selection committee truly values and we don't know what is going to happen between now and then. The Gophers could play well enough to sleep soundly. They could lose to Northwestern. They could beat Northwestern and then a bunch of weird stuff happens and still be in trouble.

My feeling is that when you look at bubble teams, nobody is wrong. Now, you can choose to only believe the ones that say certain teams are in or out, but it's difficult to dismiss anybody's opinion right now.

Let me add: I think if the Gophers beat NW and don't get blown out by Michigan State, they are pretty safe. But a lot of weird stuff could happen.

agreed.

We were .500 in the 2nd best RPI conference in America.

When the NCAA President ( or official ) was on during the halftime against Michigan he said the conference RPI's are thrown out or not considered as part of the selection process. I had a hard time believing that. It was said though.

When the NCAA President ( or official ) was on during the halftime against Michigan he said the conference RPI's are thrown out or not considered as part of the selection process. I had a hard time believing that. It was said though.

As Hodger has stated before, and I believe is absolutely correct, teams make the dance not conferences. I think what he was getting at is they don't pick teams based on a conference's overall strength but rather on the data from the team itself.

However, a conference's RPI rating (B10 being top 2) really helps a team's individual RPI. Note how the Gophers' RPI hasn't gone in the tank, as their play did, throughout February. That was due to the relative strength of the teams in the B10 that were beating them. That is where conference RPI comes into play during Selection Sunday.

Gottlieb is a tool. I watched him talking about who Louisville had lost out of conference to and he didnt even mention the gophers.

Gottlieb, Bilas, Lavin and Lunardi

Those are the 4 guys from ESPN who truly do the research when it comes to discussing bubble teams. These guys don't just throw stuff out there for the sake of throwing it out there. I don't always agree with what they say, but what they say carries weight with me because I know they do their homework. It's not just lip service when it's coming from these guys, there's some thought put into what they're saying.

Unlike some of the ESPN clowns such as. ...

Adrian Branch
Tom Brennan
Jimmy Dykes
Digger Phelps
Jay Williams

who offer no substance when it comes to breaking down the bubble teams, especially Phelps and Williams, who have zero clue.

He thinks Hoffarber is right handed.

He doesn't know @$%#

He also thinks the Big 10 has 10 teams lol...not sure if anyone heard that last week...he said something like "maybe all 10 teams in the Big 10 will get in," jokingly, but I don't think he was joking about it having 10 teams.

I hate dykes but i believe he does his homework. The worst is Stephen Bardo. HE might be less knowledgeable than Andre Ware in football. How do these guys get jobs analyzing something that they have no clue about?

I understand your point about Dykes. I can't stomach him either, perhaps I was a little too harsh on him because of that. The general feeling I have on Dykes is he tends to be a schill for the SEC, not surprising considering he went to Arkansas.

Dykes

is an idiot, and a schill for the SEC. By far my least favorite of the ESPN talking heads. They should have left him on the late night west coast games that no one east of the Rockies ever watched (except me after late night meetings).

I remember Gottlieb saying last year during the Gophers/Maryland NIT game how the rebuilding process for Tubby was going to be long and painful. Wrong on that one! It clearly seems like he has something against Tubby. He may do his homework, but he is biased against us for some reason.

I don't see how so many of you are so sure that the Gophers are even on the bubble, let alone already in the NCAA. This has been a very mediocre season. Minus the nonconference padding our record received and the temporary rankings, we'd all be pretty damn depressed right now.

>>the rebuilding process for Tubby was going to be long and painful. Wrong on that one!<<

You're not saying the rebuilding is done, are you? It will continue for at least two more years.

I don't see how so many of you are so sure that the Gophers are even on the bubble, let alone already in the NCAA. This has been a very mediocre season.
Because all of the rest of the bubble teams are in statistically worse shape than us. That's why.

If you think our season was mediocre, talk to Georgetown, Creighton, Florida, Kentucky, and all the other teams that just played themselves out of the tourney over the past 2 weeks. Those were all NCAA tourney teams last year too, we weren't.

I'd say we've done better than most thought we would.

>>the rebuilding process for Tubby was going to be long and painful. Wrong on that one!<<

You're not saying the rebuilding is done, are you? It will continue for at least two more years.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we are clearly rebuilding. But in the context Gottlieb used, he was saying we wouldn't be in the tournament picture for a few years. With the recruiting class we have coming in and hopefully the guys returning getting better, we hopefully won't be able to use the word "rebuilding" anyomore. But honestly, what we are used to is not many NCAA tourney appearances. For Tubby to be this close in his second year, the rebuilding process didn't take that long. Maybe Gottleib was going more off of what Tubby's goals probably are; winning Big Ten championships. Gottleib was just being a naysayer of us being any kind of contender this soon.

But you have to remember that there is still basketball to be played. The Gophers first BTT game is a toss-up. If we lose, we really faded down the stretch. That will be taken into consideration as well.

St. Mary's deserves an NIT bid

St. Mary's barely deserves an NIT bid. Their SOS is 179. Their "best" win is Providence or Utah State. Losses to UTEP, Portland, Santa Clara, Gonzaga (3 times).

179 is telling but St. Mary's was a very good team before Mills went down and now that he is back, with the deference given to teams that lose star players imho deserve an NIT bid. Had they beat Gonzaga there is an argument that they deserve to go to the dance.

Top Bottom