Rick Pizzo (and the BTN) needs to do a little homework

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
During the Big Ten Diamond Report last night on the BTN (the show was taped live), on at least 3 or 4 occasions Pizzo referred to Siebert Field (correct pronunciation C-burt) as Cy-burt. Once I'll give him a pass, maybe, but wouldn't you think someone in the studio (especially analyst Cal Eldred, a former Iowa pitcher) would have enough knowledge to put a bug in his earpiece to tell him the correct pronunciation? Makes the BTN look pretty bad when they don't even know who Dick Siebert is.

Pizzo and Eldred also failed when talking about the B1G's chances of getting multiple bids to the NCAA baseball tourney in a few weeks. While talking about Purdue, they said the conference-leading Boilers' chances for an at-large bid (if they don't win B1G Tournament) were pretty good, "even with a RPI around 65".

Yo, fellas, Purdue's current RPI is #7 in the country, the Boilers' chances are better than "pretty good". ... they're getting in no matter what happens in Columbus. In fact, the B1G has two teams legitimately in the mix for an at-large, the other one being Michigan State (#44 in the RPI), who in basketball parlance probably is sitting right on the bubble.

Didn't see it because my cable provider still hasn't gotten BTN yet:mad:. I do agree they should know how to announce the name of a historic field like Siebert. Purdue is definitely a lock for the tourney, in fact they will probably be a regional host and Michigan St. would have a decent chance to get in the tourney with a good finish to the season even if they don't win the B1G tourney.

I figure if Michigan State (29-16, 10-8) wins 5 (maybe even 4) of its 6 remaining conference games, Sparty should be in pretty good shape as long as they have a decent showing in the B1G Tournament. B1G schedule is favorable the rest of the way with Iowa and Penn State, both in East Lansing.

Wins over RPI #4 Baylor, #7 Purdue & #59 St. John's (all current conference leaders), as well as 2 of 3 vs. #63 Ohio State, #66 Illinois (on the road) and #100 Indiana (on the road) should get them a look-see if they end up on the bubble.

Not much margin for error, however, especially can't afford to lose to Iowa, who sucks.

Top Bottom