Field Goal questions

FreakyDeke

picked a dumb moniker
Reaction score
I'm watching the 1974 Michigan vs. Ohio State game and Michigan attempted a 58 yard field goal. It missed short and bounced out of the back of the endzone and they called it a touchback. That isn't still the rule is it?

Also, I saw a highlight from the Vikings game last week and it looked like the Vikings attempted a 68 yard field goal out of a kickoff formation rather than a line of scrimmage. I didn't watch the game, does anyone know how that happened?

I'm watching the 1974 Michigan vs. Ohio State game and Michigan attempted a 58 yard field goal. It missed short and bounced out of the back of the endzone and they called it a touchback. That isn't still the rule is it?

Also, I saw a highlight from the Vikings game last week and it looked like the Vikings attempted a 68 yard field goal out of a kickoff formation rather than a line of scrimmage. I didn't watch the game, does anyone know how that happened?

On the first one, that rule has changed. Now the ball goes to the 20 if the kick is from inside the 20. Otherwise it turns over at the line of scrimmage.

On the second one...I didn't see it but I'll speculate on a weird rule that exists in HS football and is probably a remnant of that. If a team fair catches a kickoff they can attempt a field goal from the location of the fair catch. However, the kicker gets to use a tee like a kickoff rather than a normal field goal. The only time this would really come in to play is on a safety because the kickoff comes from further back which could make it a reasonable field goal attempt for a kicker with a big leg.

This is correct

On the first one, that rule has changed. Now the ball goes to the 20 if the kick is from inside the 20. Otherwise it turns over at the line of scrimmage.

On the second one...I didn't see it but I'll speculate on a weird rule that exists in HS football and is probably a remnant of that. If a team fair catches a kickoff they can attempt a field goal from the location of the fair catch. However, the kicker gets to use a tee like a kickoff rather than a normal field goal. The only time this would really come in to play is on a safety because the kickoff comes from further back which could make it a reasonable field goal attempt for a kicker with a big leg.

I'm not sure if HS still allows a field goal to be scored off what is called a "free kick". The last I heard about was 20 years ago or so. Has anyone heard of it happening more resently than that.

It's called a free kick. It isn't off the tee, it is simply like a FG without anybody else. Just the holder and the kicker. And, it was not the Vikings who attempted it last week, it was the Cardinal's Neil Rackers. He missed by a mile, but here's the video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBBUMnRqbo

The only time this would really come in to play is on a safety because the kickoff comes from further back which could make it a reasonable field goal attempt for a kicker with a big leg.

It is more likely to come into play on a punt out of the end zone. I've actually seen this work for points before in a high school game back in 1992. There were about :10 seconds left in the first half and the team was punting from their own end zone. The kid fair caught it at about the 28 yard line. You should have seen the puzzled looks on the faces of the people in the stands when this unfolded.

Section 8

That date seems about right. It seems to me that it involved Breckenridge and Perham, maybe. What were the teams that you recall?

It is more likely to come into play on a punt out of the end zone. I've actually seen this work for points before in a high school game back in 1992. There were about :10 seconds left in the first half and the team was punting from their own end zone. The kid fair caught it at about the 28 yard line. You should have seen the puzzled looks on the faces of the people in the stands when this unfolded.

Top Bottom