Gophers showing interest in Nebraska big man, Elliott Eliason

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Monter:

Elliott Eliason, a 6-foot-11, 235-pound junior center from Chadron, who has attracted the interest of Minnesota, has led the Cardinals to a 24-0 mark and a #1 seed in the Nebraska State Tournament. Eliason is averaging 14.8 points, 10.4 rebounds and 3.8 blocked shots per game for the Cardinals. GoldenSports.Net caught up with Chadron head coach Craig Nobiling to learn the latest on Eliason.

"Pretty much the same," he said. "Stanford, Minnesota has been up there pretty hard. Coach Smith and Ron Jirsa have been in a lot of contact. Of course, Creighton. Dana Altman has been out a couple of more times."

Nobling said that Eliason has received five scholarship offers to date.

"Right now, South Dakota State, but I know that he has turned that down," he said. "It is South Dakota State, Creighton, Nebraska. Colorado State."

Nobling said that Minnesota has shown plenty of interest in his center, but they have yet to offer a scholarship.

"They have not really said, but that is my guess. I don't know to be very honest, because they have not mentioned it. Minnesota is one of the latest. LSU. Stanford. Portland has been in contact as of recently."

Elaison comes from an athletic family. His parents, Jay and Lorna Eliason, were both outstanding athletes at South Dakota State. His father played football and his mother was a volleyball player.

Go Gophers!!

Rivals has him at No. 143 overall (12th center) for the class of 2010. Looks like he's getting plenty of attention.

Statistics Reb Blk Pts
2007 (So.) 10.0 128 12.8

His summer is going to be very important for him. He plays in C-1 here in Nebraska, so he does not play against much competition. C-1 is the third largest class in a relatively low populated state. Have not heard much about his winter on the the Nebraska sites. Have not heard who he is playing for this summer either. Chadron is a long ways from Omaha or Lincoln where the best Nebraska AAU teams are located.

His summer is going to be very important for him. He plays in C-1 here in Nebraska, so he does not play against much competition. C-1 is the third largest class in a relatively low populated state. Have not heard much about his winter on the the Nebraska sites. Have not heard who he is playing for this summer either. Chadron is a long ways from Omaha or Lincoln where the best Nebraska AAU teams are located.

Can't be any worse then AA basketball in South Dakota which is what Yankton is.

By population, Yankton is 2 1/2 times bigger than Chadron. Chadron would be the biggest town in their conference at 5500 people.

Anybody know what kind of player he is? Is he athletic enough for the Gophers or he just a big tall guy (Bryce Webster)? If he has room to improve, he would still be behind Iverson and Sampson when he is a freshman and have that veteran leadership to grow behind.

Options, I guess.....

Seems like Tubby needs to decide if it's him or Chad Calcaterra?

That is why Tubby gets the big bucks...Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. If the two, Calcaterra and Eliason are equal talents, go with the local kid, IMO.

Agreed. Saw Chad at the Michigan game, and he does not look like he's 6'10......could be wrong, but with another year of high school ball I hope he gains some weight, as he looks very thin. Again, he's just a junior and he'll probably begin to fill out his frame.

Forget these mediocre bigs. Tubby better be looking for some serious backcourt talent this summer. With only 3 schollies to give for 2010 they need some talented guards.

Forget these mediocre bigs. Tubby better be looking for some serious backcourt talent this summer. With only 3 schollies to give for 2010 they need some talented guards.

Aaron Cosby #95 (HoopScoop) from Louisville and Cory Joseph #42 (HS) from Las Vegas prep school are high on Gophers.

Jacob Thomas should be the local recruit.

Seems like Tubby needs to decide if it's him or Chad Calcaterra?

All things being equal, I think Calcaterra is the guy. Keeping a strong homefront pipeline is critical. Then again, South Dakota is pretty much Minnesota for recruiting purposes.

Agreed. Saw Chad at the Michigan game, and he does not look like he's 6'10......could be wrong, but with another year of high school ball I hope he gains some weight, as he looks very thin. Again, he's just a junior and he'll probably begin to fill out his frame.

I think an inch or two is forgiveable on a college kid. there just aren't that many 6'10" guys out there. Even if he's a few inches shy of that he can play the post, provided he bulks up and works on the moves.

Are we still in it for Cory Joseph?

I would think in a perfect world the Gophers get both Joseph and Cosby and are able to land one of the elite level wings they have offers for (Barnes/Prather/Kendrick) to add some punch to their offense. The staff could evaluates guys like Thomas or Kreuser over this summer and offer a deal like walking on and redshirting the first year then going on scholarship. Depends on how bad they want to play for the Gophers.

Top Bottom