Big Ten 2008/09 awards

Stoodabaker

Reaction score
Gophers didn't get a single player on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd or all freshmen teams. Only Gopher represented is Damien for 1st team all D. I know we play a lot of guys so the stats don't always add up for some of our better players but I think this is a pretty good indication that this team has OVER ACHIEVED this year and we are still a young team with a good future.

I certainly disagree with the notion that the idea that this team has overachieved. While the team lacks a star player, it has (arguably) the most depth in the conference. There are guys that get significant time for tOSU, Michigan, and Penn State that wouldn't crack the Gophers 10 man rotation.

Defense doesn't mean squat: Only one member of the BT's All-D team (JeJuan Johnson) made 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even honorable mention All-conference. And that includes Defensive POY Travis Walton.

Bad year for freshman: No freshman among top 3 All-Conference teams. Only one (William Buford) got honorable mention.

Bad year for Indiana,who didn't get a single rep on any team ...All-Conference, All-Defense, All-Freshmen... nada!

Not so good for Gophers & Iowa either, the only other teams without a 1st, 2nd or third teamer, and are only two teams without at least two players represented on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention. However, Iowa did get a guy on the All-freshmen team and the Gophers got a guy on the All-Defensive team.

What that means to me is that Tubby has done one hell of a good job this year as he has a plan in place for the next several years. Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!

I thought DJ might slip onto the 3rd team, but I can't argue with these selections. The results of the all-conference balloting tends to support what Tim McCormick said during the second Illinois game, that Tubby was getting a lot out of what he had.

The glaring omission from Gopher fan preseason expectations is Al Nolen.

Top Bottom