Something I hope does not go unnoticed by the committee

WilliamsArenaGuy

Reaction score
Wisconsin, OSU, and Penn State all went 10-8 in the conference.

Minnesota and Michigan went 9-9.

Guess what? The first three played Indiana and Iowa four times. The latter two played them three times. We did not get Iowa at home (a near certain win), and Michigan did not get to play Indiana twice. This further validates that all five of these teams are so close and need to be looked at with a microscope. I think us and Michigan are every bit as good or better than those first three teams and this schedule quirk is the only difference. We should not be seen as inferior because of conference record.

Furthermore, we beat Wisconsin twice. OSU beat Michigan twice. Wisconsin beat Michigan twice. Michigan beat us twice. PSU didn't beat anyone twice, but they of course have all the "big" conference wins. Also, all of these teams lost to Iowa on the road, and we did not.

As bad as we have looked at times (and we definitely should have beat Michigan, that's our own fault), it would be a travesty for us to be left out over any of these teams (esp. Wisconsin), IMO.

I know conferences don't get bids; that's why I think the BT might get 8 teams in. But if there were four spots left and these teams were fighting for them, I think PSU has to be the one left out. They have some nice wins, but they also lost to URI and Temple, played a godawful NC schedule and didn't sweep any of their main competition in conference. We played a bad NC too, but beating Louisville is far above and of PSU's accomplishments. Their best NC win was against Mount St. Mary's (not St. Mary's).

Just please beat NU. We really should be able to feel pretty good then. Please...

(and then at least show up against MSU this time)

Good post and thoughts about the "Big Picture" I really hope the selection committee (if we get into the tourney) puts us in an afternoon or night game for the first round (*crosses fingers*) so I don't have to try and get off of work to watch their game/s

Guess what? The first three played Indiana and Iowa four times. The latter two played them three times. We did not get Iowa at home (a near certain win), and Michigan did not get to play Indiana twice. This further validates that all five of these teams are so close and need to be looked at with a microscope. I think us and Michigan are every bit as good or better than those first three teams and this schedule quirk is the only difference. We should not be seen as inferior because of conference record.

Furthermore, we beat Wisconsin twice. OSU beat Michigan twice. Wisconsin beat Michigan twice. Michigan beat us twice. PSU didn't beat anyone twice, but they of course have all the "big" conference wins. Also, all of these teams lost to Iowa on the road, and we did not.

As bad as we have looked at times (and we definitely should have beat Michigan, that's our own fault), it would be a travesty for us to be left out over any of these teams (esp. Wisconsin), IMO.

I know conferences don't get bids; that's why I think the BT might get 8 teams in. But if there were four spots left and these teams were fighting for them, I think PSU has to be the one left out. They have some nice wins, but they also lost to URI and Temple, played a godawful NC schedule and didn't sweep any of their main competition in conference. We played a bad NC too, but beating Louisville is far above and of PSU's accomplishments. Their best NC win was against Mount St. Mary's (not St. Mary's).

Just please beat NU. We really should be able to feel pretty good then. Please...

The stench of excuses are piling up.

Excellent observation. I hope the committee considers that and would by acknowledging their higher RPI and SS. Win on Thursday and erase any doubt!

Beat the 'Cats!!!!!

The stench of excuses are piling up.

Not really. An excuse would be something along the lines of, "The only reason the Gophers aren't a lock is because we played Iowa once." or "The only reason my favorite team isn't going to the tournament is because a guy who coached them 2 years ago didn't leave us w/more then 1 POY candidate." or "I only bother Gopher basketball fans on the internet because I can't seem to find anybody who cares what I think in my day to day life."

Strength of schedule is a factor in all NCAA discussions, so why shouldn't strength of schedule in the conference matter if all the teams don't play each other an equal number of times? That being said, somebody could make the argument that not playing at Purdue twice was just as important in determining Minnesota's final record as missing Iowa a second time.

Either way, let's just hope the Gophers beat Northwestern and hope Truth Teller finds that circle of friends he desperately needs.

These are valid points, but they are basically the reason why our RPI is still higher then Penn State's and even Michigan's. So really they don't need to consider this in addition to our RPI and SOS, they just need to give adequate weight to these factors.

Not really. An excuse would be something along the lines of, "The only reason the Gophers aren't a lock is because we played Iowa once." or "The only reason my favorite team isn't going to the tournament is because a guy who coached them 2 years ago didn't leave us w/more then 1 POY candidate." or "I only bother Gopher basketball fans on the internet because I can't seem to find anybody who cares what I think in my day to day life."

Strength of schedule is a factor in all NCAA discussions, so why shouldn't strength of schedule in the conference matter if all the teams don't play each other an equal number of times? That being said, somebody could make the argument that not playing at Purdue twice was just as important in determining Minnesota's final record as missing Iowa a second time.

Either way, let's just hope the Gophers beat Northwestern and hope Truth Teller finds that circle of friends he desperately needs.

Just win baby. And schedule some ooc opponents that matter.

Hugs to ya Chi.

Penn State did beat somebody twice: Illinois

I was referring to the five team scrum in the middle. I acknowledged they have the best "big" wins. Illinois isn't in the discussion because they are already a lock.

Timing is everything as well. It seems to me the Gophers played a lot of road games in Feb. instead of a more balanced home/away schedule. Had the schedule been reversed we would have been considered a hotter team.

rant-I am tired of the negativity of the local media. Barreio and fat pat are the worst. Barriero thinks he is a basketball coach and is an expert in the NCAA selection process. He discounts all the experts and considers himself to know more than a person like Lunardi. What do you expect of a hoosier!

Top Bottom