10K fans at the X and this is the "state of hockey"?

oak_street1981

Reaction score
Does anyone think if the Gopher Basketball team was playing to get the Final Four in at the Xcel there would not be 20K in attendance. Heck there were more Gopher fans at the Alamo Dome in 1997 for the Temple game than were at the X last week.

Yet we are always told that hockey is King in Minnesota. It might be bigger here than anywhere else, but the attendance last week was very telling.

Maybe the fans just do not beleive in Lucia.

Bad timing as well. A lot of people spent good money on the WCHA Final Five the weekend prior. The NCAAs were not cheap either. $90 for all 3 games or $65 for just Sunday via ticketmaster. We tried to scalp before the game and everything we found was $70+, ridiculous. Went to TR down the street and watched it beer in hand.

Agreed on the timing. I'm a grad student at the U, and I spent money I didn't have on tickets to watch us the weekend before, and as bad as I wanted to, couldn't make it happen two weekends in a row.

I paid face value for the Saturday session. I was surprised to see all the empty seats but I could certainly see how the final five would have taken a bite out of the regional attendance. I would have loved to return for Sunday but it wasn't cheap so I watched at home.

It seemed like it was just overpriced and the other posts I see here add to that line of thought.

Top Bottom