Timeout

GopherWest

Reaction score
Tubbys timeout is as bad as Chris Webers timeout!

When you are in transition with the Player that has saved

you in tight games before YOU trust the player to make

the right decisions. We have a very hard time inbounding

the ball from timeouts all year long. TRUST Your Players,

they should know by the years end what to do.

Tubbys timeout is as bad as Chris Webers timeout!

When you are in transition with the Player that has saved

you in tight games before YOU trust the player to make

the right decisions. We have a very hard time inbounding

the ball from timeouts all year long. TRUST Your Players,

they should know by the years end what to do.

The result was ghastly but this is a TO that 9 out of 10 coaches take.

I disagree Pete, I don't know what the number is, I would say around 5 of 10 coaches, but I DO KNOW it is not 9 out of 10. Thats absurd. I would not call the TO. I prefer to go in transition and not allow the defense to set up or allow the opposing coach to tell his team to foul.

I disagree Pete, I don't know what the number is, I would say around 5 of 10 coaches, but I DO KNOW it is not 9 out of 10. Thats absurd. I would not call the TO. I prefer to go in transition and not allow the defense to set up or allow the opposing coach to tell his team to foul.

Northern Iowa just punched its NCAA ticket by NOT taking a timeout in a similar situation. They were down only one-point, got the defensive rebound with :08 left. Their coach was actually motioning from the bench to get going and get into the offense. The guy dribbles by everyone, then draws a foul, goes to the line and sinks both to go ahead.

Obviously, we had to make a three-point basket, but I didn't like the Tubby timeout for several reasons.

1) Westbrook - one of the guys you hoped would have the ball - had the ball in his hands coming up court. Let the young man go tie the game. No guarantee you ever get the back into his hands on a new inbounds play.

2) The timeout allows Michigan to set up defense and also strategize about potentially fouling in that situation to prevent a game-tying 3pt. I was, in fact, surprised they didn't foul.

3) It is hard to come up with an argument that you could get a better shot from a sideline out of bounds play than what they were headed toward getting anyway.

Here's why you don't take the timeout

The shot from Westbrook did not matter. The defender let up and westbrook waited a second well after the whistle before letting it go. The way he was going if there was no whistle he would have not been able to take that shot there.

BUT - the reason I hated the timeout is because it allowed the defense to get set and also potentially allowed Belein to tell his guys to foul us before we got off a 3 once we did inbound. Now - he chose not to foul (not sure why), but the timeout could easily have provided the organization to do so. Additionally, inbounding the ball near halfcourt with 4 seconds left is not a desirable location. The reason for this is that a player will almost always have to pop out toward halfcourt to receive the pass - and with only 4 seconds left that doesn't leave a lot of time for anything. With more time this wouldn't have been an issue.

I would have totally agreed with the timeout if there were 15-20 seconds left - but with that amount of time left and the defense not set I think your best chance was to let the play go. It's not like Westbrook was triple-teamed in the corner with no options.

Let me reiterate I am not basing ANY of my opinion on the shot by westbrook after the timeout whistle. Had completely nothing to do with the timeout. There are many other reasons why I felt this was a bad move.

First time I have disagreed with Tubby's game management this year (the timeout and the 16 minutes Jon Williams played).

Northern Iowa just punched its NCAA ticket by NOT taking a timeout in a similar situation. They were down only one-point, got the defensive rebound with :08 left. Their coach was actually motioning from the bench to get going and get into the offense. The guy dribbles by everyone, then draws a foul, goes to the line and sinks both to go ahead.

Obviously, we had to make a three-point basket, but I didn't like the Tubby timeout for several reasons.

1) Westbrook - one of the guys you hoped would have the ball - had the ball in his hands coming up court. Let the young man go tie the game. No guarantee you ever get the back into his hands on a new inbounds play.

2) The timeout allows Michigan to set up defense and also strategize about potentially fouling in that situation to prevent a game-tying 3pt. I was, in fact, surprised they didn't foul.

3) It is hard to come up with an argument that you could get a better shot from a sideline out of bounds play than what they were headed toward getting anyway.

That isn't exactly what happened in the NIU game. The dude made the free throws with like 16 seconds left and it was somewhere in the 20's when they got the ball.

TJ - looks like we were thinking the same things at the same time - good post!!

That isn't exactly what happened in the NIU game. The dude made the free throws with like 16 seconds left and it was somewhere in the 20's when they got the ball.

Yeah, my bad. You are right. I got confused with the closing FTs. Even so, they got the rebound at :20, did NOT take a timeout, and got down floor and got fouled all in four seconds. My main point still stands, I did not like the timeout.

hind sight is best sight

There are some good arguments in this thread. While I dont disagree with those arguments, on the other hand Westy had been 1 of 4 with normal 3 attempts and this time he was flying down the court and heaving one from 30 feet or more. Split second decision on Tubby's part and I wont fault him for it. That being said I am one fan that really likes Westbrook. He was definately the guy to take the shot. He isnt perfect but the kid is tough and at the end of the game I want the ball in his hands.

Transition

For those of us in coaching it is always easier to score in transition because the defense is in transition themselves and not set. A bad timeout.

The timeout was bad enough. What was worse was the line-up Tubby had in there at the very end. Westbrook and Hoff were the only shooters.. Why not load the floor with shooters? Stupid move all around.

The timeout was bad enough. What was worse was the line-up Tubby had in there at the very end. Westbrook and Hoff were the only shooters.. Why not load the floor with shooters? Stupid move all around.

Agree. How can Joseph not be on the floor? Even if you are going to Westbrook and Michigan expects that too, you still as many threats as possible. They can't just leave Hoff and Joseph alone.

There was a lot I didn't get about this game.

Coach Smith went with his practices throughout this successful career. It's meaningless than Westbrook made the shot after the defense backed off. Our loss was due to light defense for the last 10 minutes not the last few seconds.

Top Bottom