Hightower on shotclock problem

Reaction score
I ran into Hightower on the way out at the end of the game. Proving I have little to no social boundaries, I asked him what happened on that critical possession. He said that while reviewing the play the truck told him to call a shot clock violation. He said he didn't think that was right. So he put the 3 seconds on the shot clock. Seems like a tough situation for the refs when theres problems with the shot clock.

Wow, so Hightower actually saved us from an even more egregiously awful call?

I'll give him credit for putting some time up there. I've never been a fan of Hightower, but this one wasn't his fault.

I ran into Hightower on the way out at the end of the game. Proving I have little to no social boundaries, I asked him what happened on that critical possession. He said that while reviewing the play the truck told him to call a shot clock violation. He said he didn't think that was right. So he put the 3 seconds on the shot clock. Seems like a tough situation for the refs when theres problems with the shot clock.

I cannot possibly think of one fair thing to do in that situation.

\Jump ball? Could rip off Michigan?

Maybe a shot clock violation would have been better because we did have over 35 seconds to put the ball in the hoop.

I think the ref controlling the clock is to blame. He should have stopped the game right there.

Hightower couldn't have done anything more than he did--I don't understand all the angst--we should be mad at our ineffective clock (or operator), not Hightower. I'd also argue that it isn't Hightower's fault that we couldn't get a shot if in 3 seconds.

I cannot possibly think of one fair thing to do in that situation.

\Jump ball? Could rip off Michigan?

Maybe a shot clock violation would have been better because we did have over 35 seconds to put the ball in the hoop.

I think the ref controlling the clock is to blame. He should have stopped the game right there.

It isn't a ref controlling the clock. It is someone the home team provides.

It isn't a ref controlling the clock. It is someone the home team provides.

Actually, I think the referees do have some sort of control over the clock. I think they are in charge of starting the clock with some sort of remote device they have clipped on their belt. The clock also is set up to automatically stop when a ref's whistle blows with some sort of audio detection device.

Not sure if it the clock stopped yesterday because of the ref or the guy on the scorer's table, though.

My angst doesn't come from that play. It comes from watching him officiate seemingly every basketball game played at the collegiate level and suffering.

When the play was stopped, didn't the shot clock have like 8-9 seconds? Then after the long timeout, didn't they reduce the remaining seconds down to 5?

When the play was stopped, didn't the shot clock have like 8-9 seconds? Then after the long timeout, didn't they reduce the remaining seconds down to 5?
Yes, thats how much time was left. But the shot clock didn't start for over 9 seconds, so checking out what the time should have been, the shot clock should have expired. Instead they put on 3 seconds.
Nice work, SOM!

Westbrook shot the ball with 9:03 on the game clock and :17 on the shot clock. The ball hit the rim, so the shot clock reset at :35 when MN got the rebound at 8:59. Then both clocks simply stopped at that point, while play continued for about :11 seconds. Then, both clocks re-started from 8:59 gameclock and :35 shot clock and play still continued until the refs stopped it at 8:34 and :09 to check. At that point there wasn't much they could do. The Gopher 2nd chance in the possession actually lasted around :37 seconds, but clearly they couldn't rule a shot clock violation since the Gophers would have had no idea.

My only question was whether or not there was any possibility that they could have reset the clock to 8:59 and revert the shot clock to where it was in the first place. Nothing happened in that stretch to gain or lose for either team.

I'm not going to pin that particular instance on the loss, but the momentum was shifting at that particular moment, without question.

Nice job, as well, SOM...I often times tried to talk to the refs after games as well, but that was when I sat in the front row and picked up the reputation as a ref-hater. (Often times an accurate assumption, by the way) Rarely would one talk afterwards, with the exception of good ole' Steve Wellmer...wonder where he's gone recently...haven't seen him at the barn much at all this year.

Both teams were operating under the assumption that the shot clock was accurate. Neither team had an advantage because of the 9 second delay. They were not pressuring us. When the clock was changed from 9 seconds to 3 seconds it gave Michigan a tremendous advantage.
Becaue it was our own official that screwed it up we can't say too much but I think it should have been a NO Call. JMO

Top Bottom