Sampson

GopherLady

Reaction score
Wow. What a great game he's having - every time one of these kids has a break-out night,I just get fired up, and know we can expect that from them in the future!

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about his performance...

I just love the depth on this team..especially on the interior! Just solid play all around and Ralph's coming out party has been FUN TO WATCH! The future of this program looks FABULOUS! When will Big Play grace us with his presence and his complete rubbish comments telling us Ralph still sucks?

Does this mean that he's NOT the biggest disappointment in the history of college basketball? Go figure. I said a few days ago that when they are 18 years old and it's November it's waaay too early to make judgements. Terrific game by III. He seems to maintain very good floor position and combined with his wingspan makes him more effective that it sometimes appears. Tubby obviously rewarded him with PT in the second half, maybe trying to test his stamina.

He was dominant in the second half, displaying some nice moves in the paint and getting agressive around the basket. We'll still have to wait and see what he does against teams with a better inside presence than NDSU but this was definitely an impressive showing for RSIII. :D

III

He was all over the place, very fluid. I am thinking he will have great games like this and disappear sometimes. His long arms were finding every ball today. I know Tubby doesn't run a lot of zone, but imagine a 2-3 zone with Damien Johnson, Samson III, and Paul Carter on the bottom and Nolen as one of the defenders on the top. All those long quick arms would make it very difficult to pass through and penetrate on the dribble.

The stories are legion about giving up on young players who suddenly blossom. III will have bad and good games and fans will be up and down on him. He is a freshman and he is a long way from home. I think Colton will be more consistent because of the role he plays.

Everyone of the new kids has shown flashes of greatness. And the depth, the hoffster goes nuts one night, shamala the next, Bostick hits a bunch of threes in a row, Iverson looks large and then Sampson. Nolen looks improved off a great year, Johnson gimped is looking monster like in the stats...

The legit depth is going to present problems for many opponents.

I Like When A Coaches Uses All His Players In OOC Games

They gain experience and lose any jitters they may have before conference play starts.

I hope he does fill out over time, because he isn't the most athletic. He's going to have to learn to bang to get the most out of his size.

Anyone have a stat line for III today? Just re-affirming what others have said but a guy like III is going to take some time to grow into his body and learn the Big-10 game, but he will also show some early flashes of where he'll be as a player in a couple years like he did today it. From what I've seen and read it sounds like III's game is much more KG than it is Tim Duncan so while strength is always good he's not a "banger" and the sooner we all appreciate that, the sooner we can appreciate what he does do, instead of what he doesn't.

Sampson could be the gem of the class, but it might take 3 years for him to really blossom. I'm sure they'll show him the weight room and he'll be challenged to be more assertive.

Kevin Garnett is an athletic freak with good range for his size. RSIII is not an athletic freak and I don't believe he has quite the range. He's going to have to work around the basket as far as I can see.

Anyone have a stat line for III today? Just re-affirming what others have said but a guy like III is going to take some time to grow into his body and learn the Big-10 game, but he will also show some early flashes of where he'll be as a player in a couple years like he did today it. From what I've seen and read it sounds like III's game is much more KG than it is Tim Duncan so while strength is always good he's not a "banger" and the sooner we all appreciate that, the sooner we can appreciate what he does do, instead of what he doesn't.

12 points on 5-6 shooting with 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 blocks with 1 TO.

Like Bobby Knight said the other night while he was doing the ESPN broadcast...he was asked about what he likes the most about talented freshman. His response was "when they become sophomores". Ralph is going to have tough times come BT season, but he is going to be a good player down the line.

Kevin Garnett is an athletic freak with good range for his size. RSIII is not an athletic freak and I don't believe he has quite the range. He's going to have to work around the basket as far as I can see.

Garnett is a hall of famer so no III doesn't have that type of athletic ability but he's much more quick/nimble than the average guy his size which is why he creates match up problems because if you stick a 6'7" wing on him away from the basket he can bring it inside and work around the basket. If you put a 6'11" guy on him he can take it out 15 feet out and hit jumpers unless his guy follows him which then opens up the lane.

In the first half, Ralph lost 4 balls that were passed to him. He displayed much better hands in the paint in the second half. That was fun to watch him adjust in mid air to make his shots.

Sampson III (I love that name on his jersey) made great adjustments as the game went on. I agree with Shikenjanski about the 1st half hands, and he learned to toughen up to get the ball the 2nd half. Way to go Gophers!!!!! Bring on Virginia, I want RS III to be a bulldog in this game, and then throw in Colton to dominate inside. We Gophers are growing and growing. Keep it up Tubby!!!!

Top Bottom