Dilemma due to double-heartbreak Saturday

cncmin

Reaction score
So not only does my favorite team blow a sure trip to the dance, but so does my second favorite (PSU)...

One of these teams is getting in the Dance. There's no way only 6 BT teams get in. And unless NU beats OSU and wins the BTT, they're out, IMO, leaving Minn and PSU firmly on the in/out bubble. So here's my dilemma. I realize that we're all Gophers' fans first here, so I'll probably get mocked mercilessly for even suggesting this, but:

Do I cheer for Minnesota to get in over Penn State because that's where my heart truly lies and it would probably make me happier? Or do I cheer for Penn State to get in over Minnesota because this is likely their last chance for a long time to make the Dance (losing Cornley, Pringle, and Morrissey with marginal talent coming in); while Minnesota's future is very bright and they should make the Dance easily in seasons to come?

I know, nutty question right? I think I still pull for the Gophers, even knowing this is PSU's last chance for probably a long time - I found myself cheering a little on accident for the stupid Hawkeyes at times...yet at the same time I felt dread watching Penn State lose. What a day. And it was 72 degrees here and I could have been outside practicing softball in the warm sunshine instead of wasting away my day watching these two teams lose.

They still have the best player in the Big Ten for two more years. I don't think all is lost for PSU.

They still have the best player in the Big Ten for two more years. I don't think all is lost for PSU.

True, but I don't think one player is going to win them a lot of games when he has no inside help and marginal outside talent. Unless they recruit some good JC kids, it's going to be a long next few years for the NLions. Also, Battle may opt for the NBA after next season, who knows.

Can you imagine the Gophers with Battle and Cornley - seems those two players are exactly the players we lack most. Think of that 1997 team with Courtney James (a poor man's Cornley), and then a great scoring, calm PG to run the show; we'd probably be a top-10 team. This is why how Mbakwe and Cobbs fit in will determine if we're a future top-10 team or only a future top-40 team.

Birth Place Columbus, OH
Height 6-5 (but I don't buy it)
Weight 240 lbs.
Position F

I'd take 6'8'' 280# James for four years (assuming he wasn't jailed for the last two), but Cornley wouldn't hurt.

PSU

Talor Battle is an excellent player, but I don't think he's the best player in the Big Ten (Kalin Lucas? Evan Turner?) and it would be a horrible idea for him to declare early for the NBA draft. Guys his size have to be amazingly talented to get drafted at all, much less coming out early.

Birth Place Columbus, OH
Height 6-5 (but I don't buy it)
Weight 240 lbs.
Position F

I'd take 6'8'' 280# James for four years (assuming he wasn't jailed for the last two), but Cornley wouldn't hurt.

hmmm, 6-5 only? wow I'd have never thought it, he plays awful large. thanks though.

And I would say that anything to get rid of DeChellis would be better for PSU in the long run. For a school as big (and with as big of a following as PSU) there is no reason they should not be a top tier basketball program.

And I would say that anything to get rid of DeChellis would be better for PSU in the long run. For a school as big (and with as big of a following as PSU) there is no reason they should not be a top tier basketball program.

Yeah I can't figure out why they've never gone after a big-name coach. My guess is that they make enough money off of football, and so are not willing to take the risk at basketball. Their basketball facilities are very nice, but still definitely not near the top in the Big Ten though, from what I know. Also, so long as Pitt, WVU, and many other schools in the east absorb all of the best kids from the PA area, Penn State's going to struggle with recruiting. They also have no real basketball history or a big established fan base to fall back on. Any road for PSU to become a basketball power is likely going to be a long one. The best way is likely to get a coach like Tubby to fall into their lap, who isn't going to use them as a stepping stone. Otherwise, they'll be stuck with testing out newcomers like DeChellis and seeing if they are the next big thing.

Its a Saturday and my mind isn't exactly functioning, but are there any other football programs as good as Penn State that have such basketball issues.

Alabama maybe? But any others?

Top Bottom