DJ's 3 pt defense sucks

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Ya I know, there were other issues with this game but I'd bet that the guy he was guarding (whoever it was at the time) scored five of MI's nine 3 pointers. It drives me insane his laid back look on defense half the time he is out there. Not that I know what goes on in his head, but it seems like he thinks he can use his shot blocking to bail him out of playing soft defense. But in the case like today, the soft defense allowed the guy he was guarding to pump in 15 points from beyond the arc.

Yeah, he also looked pretty bad when Michigan broke our press and he tried to take a charge from Manny Harris with Sims standing wide open behind.

Manny Harris is the toughest guy to guard in the big ten, DJ was big for us defensively and if you think otherwise you dont know what you are talking about. Sims abused us all day because no one could guard him, JW and RSIII had no answer. To complain about DJ's defense is stupid.

Guarding the three-point line is a team-wide problem. That's why Michigan had multiple guys wide open on the perimeter in both games we played them this year. We overplay everything so severely, all it takes is one guy to drive to within 15 feet of the basket, draw an over-eager defender and then kick out and our perimeter defenders are nowhere to be found.

It's quite putrid, actually.....:mad:

Guarding the three-point line is a team-wide problem. That's why Michigan had multiple guys wide open on the perimeter in both games we played them this year. We overplay everything so severely, all it takes is one guy to drive to within 15 feet of the basket, draw an over-eager defender and then kick out and our perimeter defenders are nowhere to be found.

It's quite putrid, actually.....:mad:

I think the play that most exemplified this was early in the 2nd half, one of their not-so-good dribblers/passers drove about 5 feet inside the 3-point line and we had about 4 guys collapse on him, leaving 2 or 3 Mich. players wide open on the 3 line. If I recall, I think it was Novak who then had a wide-open 3 by about 8-10 feet from the top of the arc, yet the Gophers got lucky when he missed. But they fully deserved to give up another 3 points to Michigan on that play, just as they did on the other 500 times that they needlessly collapsed on a driver/inside pass this season.

If you can't correct your obvious mental mistakes, then you really don't deserve to play in the championship tournament.

Another way to state our ridiculously over-collapsing defense is to use a football analogy: If these guys were playing defense in a football game they'd be killed by a reverse for 20+ yards on 95-100% of reverses. Or they'd give up 2 or 3 kick returns for TDs each and every game because of failing to stay in their lanes. The concepts remain simple throughout sports...defensive play is a lot about positioning.

He was on Harris most of the time, and Harris was only 3-8 from behind the three point line.

>>To complain about DJ's defense is stupid.<<

I agree. He's probably the favorite to win conference defender of the year. Maybe that's just not good enough. ;)

Our 3-pt game on both ends of the court sucks when we face quick, well-coached athletes.

I think the play that most exemplified this was early in the 2nd half, one of their not-so-good dribblers/passers drove about 5 feet inside the 3-point line and we had about 4 guys collapse on him, leaving 2 or 3 Mich. players wide open on the 3 line. If I recall, I think it was Novak who then had a wide-open 3 by about 8-10 feet from the top of the arc, yet the Gophers got lucky when he missed. But they fully deserved to give up another 3 points to Michigan on that play, just as they did on the other 500 times that they needlessly collapsed on a driver/inside pass this season.

If you can't correct your obvious mental mistakes, then you really don't deserve to play in the championship tournament.

You saw the exact same thing I did. And it happens consistently against teams with any kind of guard penetration. It comes down to beating the man with the ball to the spot and our guys don't do that very often. They get a lot of steals because they read passing lanes pretty well and because they reach in quite a bit in the post. But we collapse so aggressively anytime somebody makes a move towards the basket, we get ourselves into trouble on the perimeter, which is why we give up a bevy of open three's every game.

Conversely, nobody respects our ability to drive towards the basket other than Westbrook, so they don't collapse as extremely as we do and that causes us all kinds of problems with getting good looks. Sometime between now and next year, we need to reverse both of these trends.

Top Bottom