So, what do we need to do to make the tournament?

page0066

Reaction score
What do you guys think that we need to do to make the tournament now? Win one game in the BTT??? Two games??? Win the BTT???

It's frustrating to watch this team spoil an opportunity to make the NCAA tournament

We need to win one game. I know everyone is negative right now, but we did have the 32nd RPI in the nation coming in to today. We don't, suck, regardless of what you might here in the next few hours.

The selection committee has started to downplay conference tournament wins, so I think we have to AT LEAST win three games. And if we have to play Indiana or Iowa in the first round, then a win against either would be worthless anyway.

The selection committee has started to downplay conference tournament wins, so I think we have to AT LEAST win three games. And if we have to play Indiana or Iowa in the first round, then a win against either would be worthless anyway.

That's ridiculous. You're suggesting that a 23-10 team from the Big Ten with an RPI under 40 who won two conference tournament games would not get in? Who's going in thier place? Miami, Florida, Kentucky? All teams with RPI's below 50 who have had worse losses then us, much worse.

AT LEAST win three games.
You can't be serious. We need 24 wins to get in? With our overall record, .500 record in the Big 10, # of Top 25 wins, # of Top 50 wins, no bad losses...seriously?

Gophers should go ahead of any team they split with and lost to Iowa.

What you people are not giving us enough credit for is that we have 0 bad losses. NONE. Our WORST loss was at Northwestern. A team with an RPI in the 60's who's suddenly everyone's cinderella to get an large bid.

Providence lost to Northeastern. Florida lost to Georgia. Kentucky lost to VMI AND Georgia. Miami lost at Georgia Tech. Virginia Tech lost at Virginia. Do you really think ALL of these teams currently deserve to get in over Minnesota? No chance.

First, the number is not 3. We'll probably only need one win. It is more a matter of massaging our RPI to stay high amongst at large candidates so 1 will probably do it and a second would be great.

Second, we won't play Indiana or Iowa. They are 10 and 11 seeds. The Gophers will likely end up as an 8 or 9 seed with the most likely draw being the loser of the Northwestern/Ohio State game. Win that and our next opponent is MSU. Do you really think a win over MSU is going to be downplayed by the committee?

Gophers are being unfairly treated in bubble conversation. I'm fine with Michigan going over us, but Wisc. or NW no way. We beat the potential Big East Champion. I agree, we have 0 bad losses.

That's ridiculous. You're suggesting that a 23-10 team from the Big Ten with an RPI under 40 who won two conference tournament games would not get in? Who's going in thier place? Miami, Florida, Kentucky? All teams with RPI's below 50 who have had worse losses then us, much worse.

agreed, at least 3 is absurd.

Gophers are being unfairly treated in bubble conversation. I'm fine with Michigan going over us, but Wisc. or NW no way. We beat the potential Big East Champion. I agree, we have 0 bad losses.

Losing to Michigan at home is pretty goddamn bad, considering what an awful road team they are.

Wisc has a strength of schedule in the Top 5 and an RPI in the high 20s or 30s I believe.

NW has absolutely no chance, none. Michigan deserves to be in the tournament, and they could make something happen. After watching that brutal game, I feel like we are a one and done team in the NCAA, maybe win one or 2 in the NIT.

My guess it two. If we are the 7 seed, that would be Iowa in the first round--I don't think a win over Iowa in front of 2000 fans in Indy gets us in. A win over Purdue is a different story.

Just win one and lose to a clearly superior team and we will be holding our breath on selection sunday

Losing to Michigan at home is pretty goddamn bad, considering what an awful road team they are.

That's ridiculous. Losing to any team that is likely getting an at-large birth is not a bad loss. Come on. Now, no home loss is good, but you have way to generous a view of what a bad loss is. I'm talking losing to any team below 100 in the RPI. We have not come close to losing to anyone below 100. As I said, our worst loss was NW who is currently in the 60's. Kentucky and Florida, supposed bubble teams both lost to Georgia who's RPI is near 200. THAT's a bad loss. Losing to Virginia (as VT did) that's a bad loss. Losing to Georgia Tech, as Miami did, that's a bad loss.

We need to win one game. I know everyone is negative right now, but we did have the 32nd RPI in the nation coming in to today. We don't, suck, regardless of what you might here in the next few hours.

You're completely correct. We simply have a team that is trying REALLY hard to play themselves out of the NCAA Tournament.:mad:

Great for Wisconsin!! They played a tough schedule and lost every tough game. The win over Louisville should get the Gophers in alone.

i dont understand wisconsin... so if the gophers would have lost to unc and duke they would be in too? noway wisconsin should be in over the gophers

i dont understand wisconsin... so if the gophers would have lost to unc and duke they would be in too? noway wisconsin should be in over the gophers

I agree, but if you're basing all this off of RPI and SOS, then they are in.

I'm talking losing to any team below 100 in the RPI. We have not come close to losing to anyone below 100.

But Michigan plays like a sub-RPI 100 team on the road and I'm sure the selection committee will come to realize that when poring over resumes. Coming into this game they had just two road wins: two overtime squeakers against Indiana and Northwestern.

But Michigan plays like a sub-RPI 100 team on the road and I'm sure the selection committee will come to realize that when poring over resumes. Coming into this game they had just two road wins: two overtime squeakers against Indiana and Northwestern.

How many road wins does any Big Ten team have in conference? We have 3. They have 2. Big difference. Should Wisconscin get docked major points because they lost to us at home? Michigan beat UCLA on a neutral floor. We beat Louisville. How many road wins do you think any of the bubble teams have? Not many, or they wouldn't be on the bubble. I'm not happy we lost. But to call this a 'bad' loss in terms of the selection committee is simply wrong, regardless of Michigan's road record.

How many road wins does any Big Ten team have in conference? We have 3. They have 2. Big difference. Should Wisconscin get docked major points because they lost to us at home? Michigan beat UCLA on a neutral floor. We beat Louisville. How many road wins do you think any of the bubble teams have? Not many, or they wouldn't be on the bubble. I'm not happy we lost. But to call this a 'bad' loss in terms of the selection committee is simply wrong, regardless of Michigan's road record.

It's a terrible loss because of their road record. And even worse because of the way we lost it.

PSU right back on the bubble with us if they lose to Iowa today.

It's a terrible loss because of their road record. And even worse because of the way we lost it.
Wrong on both accounts.

It's not a terrible loss b/c of their record, their SOS, and RPI. They are an NCAA Tourney team.

Second, a loss is a loss. It doesn't matter if we got beat by 10 after being down the whole game, or being up 20 pts losing by 1 at the buzzer.

You're free to your opinion. But the Selection Committee actually looks at 'bad losses' as a criteria, and this does not even come close to qualifying as a bad loss by that definition, and that is what I referring to. We don't have ANY bad losses by thier defination. It's the reason our RPI is still very high despite not having the strongest SOS, and it's why we still have a very strong resume. I know that's hard to see in the heat of a tough loss. We do need to win one tournament game in all likelyhood. But that should be enough, regardless of who it's against. If it's over NW or OSU, that's another quality win the resume. Even if it's over Iowa, the main objective would be to avoid a damaging loss.

Top Bottom