This is a joke...right???

MRJ

Reaction score
I've held off on judgment for the most part this season, but that was absolutely pathetic. And not because of the timeout Tubby called. But because, with the game well in hand, we started doing all the stupid damn things we do every time out. And what's worse, we looked scared to death while doing it.

Can anybody take and make a jumpshot on our team that is more than 10 feet out? We did it early in the game and it allowed us to open things up inside. But late in games, we NEVER even look to the outside. We look to the inside to the point of forcing everything in there, whether the ball can go there or not. And that makes us easy to guard. It's the same equation every game. And that's why Michigan beat us. We'll take one or two jumpshots in eight minutes, miss them both, and then get scared to death on the offensive end unless we get a layup every time.

And then to compound the problem, we did a whole bunch of ball-watching, left guys open on the perimeter (the ONE thing Michigan does well, but we couldn't figure it out) and let Laval Lucas Perry or whatever his name is, light us up like he was an all-american. They deserve to lose this game and not make the NCAAs, if that ends up being their fate.

towards the end

only LW seemed unafraid to shoot. hoff got the ball behind the line a couple times, relatively open in the second half and didnt even look at the basket. seems we cant make a three or defend a three. jas and RSIII played pretty well as did westy. why were Colt and travis welded to the bench today I wonder? Oh, well, cya Thursday!

Maybe one of the worst timeouts I have ever seen. Let's give them a chance to maybe foul us or throw 5 guys on the perimeter and make it impossible to get a shot off. Awful, awful.

If LW had missed that three when Tubby called TO, we would have said "Good move". If LW had missed the three and Tubby didn't take TO, we would have bitched because he didn't take a TO......Can't win either way.

If LW had missed that three when Tubby called TO, we would have said "Good move". If LW had missed the three and Tubby didn't take TO, we would have bitched because he didn't take a TO......Can't win either way.

Agree! I'll be back when the meltdown is over.

Miller Lite time, gonna watch FL dismantle KY and enjoy the Wildcat demise. If push comes to shove, Let's have KY versus MN in the 64/65 play in....that would be fun.

Yeah, which is why I wasn't mad about Tubby calling the timeout. When Westbrook hit that three, it simply presented all of us with the handwriting that was already on the wall in classic Minnesota sports fashion: WE BLEW IT.

Like I said earlier, I have reserved judgment with these guys for the most part. But to lose in this fashion with an NCAA berth possibly on the line on senior day is simply inexcusable. A team that wants the NCAAs steps up to that challenge. The Gophers didn't. It's really as simple as that.

that was a bad timeout... no team ever gets a better shot by calling a timeout in the situation. take it in transition

that was a bad timeout... no team ever gets a better shot by calling a timeout in the situation. take it in transition

Nothing good at all can come out of a time out there. Did Tubby even watch the first Wisconsin game?

Given our struggles inbounding the ball, I didn't agree with the timeout. But there's honestly no way to know if Westbrook hits that shot if he doesn't call it. It wasn't as bang, bang as it looked. A couple seconds elapsed between the whistle and the shot. Who know if it effected the defender or Westbrook.

20 years of coaching instinct was probably to call TO there, even if it may not have been the best call in reality.

Let's be real here...DeVoe, Freshman; Al, Sophomore;Ralph III, Freshman;DJ, Junior;Hoff, Sophomore;LW, Junior;Colton, Freshman (DNP??);Carter, Sophomore; JAS,SR;JW,SR; Incoming Schollie Players plus any Walk-ons, Priceless.

We get too soon old and too late smart....Tubby has taken the dregs of the Big10 under good old what's his name, to a competitive factor in just his 2nd year here, much earlier than anyone thought.

Miller Lite Time...

Not true, but it might be for a Tubby-coached team, as I have yet to see them succeed on a an inbounds play bucket except for Busch-to-Hoff last year. So, data would suggest that (1) when the Gophers are in transition they score a lot of points; (2) when they run an inbounds play they rarely get a good shot and often never get a shot off at all; thus, the fault of the timeout comes in that the scoring chance was much better to let the transition play continue.

Given our struggles inbounding the ball, I didn't agree with the timeout. But there's honestly no way to know if Westbrook hits that shot if he doesn't call it. It wasn't as bang, bang as it looked. A couple seconds elapsed between the whistle and the shot. Who know if it effected the defender or Westbrook.

20 years of coaching instinct was probably to call TO there, even if it may not have been the best call in reality.

The main issue is that it gave Michigan a chance to foul immediately after the inbounds pass. If that happens (and it really should have if Beilein was thinking) out best hope is to make the first free throw, miss the second on purpose, and get the rebound and a shot up all within 3 seconds at the most.

Not true, but it might be for a Tubby-coached team, as I have yet to see them succeed on a an inbounds play bucket except for Busch-to-Hoff last year.
Touche.

Our out-of-bounds plays are just putrid...the worst I've seen in college basketball. Not only do we struggle to get it in every single time, we're lucky if it's not a turnover.

Let's be real here...DeVoe, Freshman; Al, Sophomore;Ralph III, Freshman;DJ, Junior;Hoff, Sophomore;LW, Junior;Colton, Freshman (DNP??);Carter, Sophomore; JAS,SR;JW,SR; Incoming Schollie Players plus any Walk-ons, Priceless.

We get too soon old and too late smart....Tubby has taken the dregs of the Big10 under good old what's his name, to a competitive factor in just his 2nd year here, much earlier than anyone thought.

Miller Lite Time...

Agree with this as well. But the fact remains, as painful as it is, that the team blew it big-time today. That's the honest truth and it might not be a bad thing for them to fully realize it. Now the question is how they will come back from it.

I still like where we are headed as a program. For this game, I am angry because of the factors I mentioned earlier. Do I see us as a contender heading into next year and beyond? Yeah, at least for now. However, I also recognize the guys had a prime opportunity that they let slip by in absolutely awful fashion.

Could this be the first step towards big things next year? Absolutely. If I was a coach, I would tell the players to hold on to this feeling, experience the negativity and remember what it feels like. Then I would tell them to learn, grow and resolve to NEVER blow a game like this again. It's a question of how much the guys want it. Today, Michigan wanted it more, and that is supremely depressing considering this was on our home court.

Now, the guys need to grow up a little bit and take it upon themselves to not let things like today happen in the future.

It was a terrible time out. Adding to what you just said this team has had huge difficulties just getting the ball in bounds. Callling the time out gave Michigan the chance to set up to deny the three. When Tubby called time he had the ball in the open court with the only guy who has had the guts to hit a big shot all year for us. Let's face it Tubby got schooled by Beilein and making matters worse he ddn't take any of the blame on himself in the post game show.

So far Tubby is a great recruiter and has motivated the players to play hard. As a game coach, I don't know.

It was a terrible time out. Adding to what you just said this team has had huge difficulties just getting the ball in bounds. Callling the time out gave Michigan the chance to set up to deny the three. When Tubby called time he had the ball in the open court with the only guy who has had the guts to hit a big shot all year for us. Let's face it Tubby got schooled by Beilein and making matters worse he ddn't take any of the blame on himself in the post game show.

So far Tubby is a great recruiter and has motivated the players to play hard. As a game coach, I don't know.

I tend to think of the time out situation as more of a reflex amongst coaches. That's one of those spots, where their first thought is always "okay, down three, four seconds left, gotta call timeout!!" Often, I have found that just letting them go is a better way to go, and unfortunately, that's exactly what we saw with Westbrook on that play. That's why I'm not really upset about the timeout call. He just did what most coaches would do in that case and unfortunately, the resulting play was an absolute mess.

I'm more upset we put ourselves in that situation in the first place because, quite honestly, we shouldn't have even needed to make some miracle three to force overtime. If we had done what we should've done down the stretch, we would have been dribbling the game out up by between 8-10 points.

Touche.

Our out-of-bounds plays are just putrid...the worst I've seen in college basketball. Not only do we struggle to get it in every single time, we're lucky if it's not a turnover.

It would help if it wasn't usually our shortest or one of our shortest guys throwing it in over the tall guys on the other team...and often those passes are to big men in the corner...I don't get it. How about have a medium-size guy throw it in to a guard coming off a screen for a 3 once in a while? Instead, usually our 3-point shooters are tossing the ball inbounds (*insert puke symbol here*)

1. That time-out was one that every coach takes for any team, you have to get a set play to get a good shot off. Westbrook made a horrible shot, it was a runner folks...but when it went in everyone was just freaking because they knew that we were screwed now...

2. Hoffarber shot once according to my remembering and it was with 1:45 left in the game, if we are going to play good he at least has to pull some during the game, he's supposed to be our offense outside threat. I would rather see him go 0-5 than 0-1 when he's supposed to be shooting.

3. We have no playmakers on the team. Westbrook is our best shot and he tried to take over too late.

4. We completely dominated that game, Michigan just burned us with 3 pointers...like 3rd degree burns.

5. After that shot clock/time issue, we played terrible and they took momentum.

6. Why didn't Iverson play? I haven't seen an answer yet and I'm very curious as to why he never got in. I mean, if Williams is playing, there's no way Iverson shouldn't be playing if it's a matchup issue.

I've held off on judgment for the most part this season, but that was absolutely pathetic. And not because of the timeout Tubby called. But because, with the game well in hand, we started doing all the stupid damn things we do every time out. And what's worse, we looked scared to death while doing it.

Can anybody take and make a jumpshot on our team that is more than 10 feet out? We did it early in the game and it allowed us to open things up inside. But late in games, we NEVER even look to the outside. We look to the inside to the point of forcing everything in there, whether the ball can go there or not. And that makes us easy to guard. It's the same equation every game. And that's why Michigan beat us. We'll take one or two jumpshots in eight minutes, miss them both, and then get scared to death on the offensive end unless we get a layup every time.

And then to compound the problem, we did a whole bunch of ball-watching, left guys open on the perimeter (the ONE thing Michigan does well, but we couldn't figure it out) and let Laval Lucas Perry or whatever his name is, light us up like he was an all-american. They deserve to lose this game and not make the NCAAs, if that ends up being their fate.

I have no problem with the timeout decision (other than the ghastly outcome) but I do have a problem with not taking care of the ball and with playing Williams over Iverson. The bumbling ball handling started in the first minute of the game and lasted through to the end when Westbrook fumbled through the lane for a 600th time this season. The Williams thing is... just... #($*$)@)~!

Good point on the early turnovers Pete. There was no excuse for how careless we were in the first half.

I have no problem with the timeout decision (other than the ghastly outcome) but I do have a problem with not taking care of the ball and with playing Williams over Iverson. The bumbling ball handling started in the first minute of the game and lasted through to the end when Westbrook fumbled through the lane for a 600th time this season. The Williams thing is... just... #($*$)@)~!

There was some discussion that Colt might have a bad shoulder and that's the reason he didn't play today. I think Tubby said as much on the radio after the game.

But yeah, Williams is an absolute mess on the low block. He has a pair of the worst hands I have ever seen on a post player, made three or four really bad passes and his one shot would have broken a wood backboard.

I hear he's a heckuva of a good guy, so from that standpoint, he'll be missed next year. But he won't be missed for anything he does on the court.

1. That time-out was one that every coach takes for any team, you have to get a set play to get a good shot off. Westbrook made a horrible shot, it was a runner folks...but when it went in everyone was just freaking because they knew that we were screwed now...

2. Hoffarber shot once according to my remembering and it was with 1:45 left in the game, if we are going to play good he at least has to pull some during the game, he's supposed to be our offense outside threat. I would rather see him go 0-5 than 0-1 when he's supposed to be shooting.

3. We have no playmakers on the team. Westbrook is our best shot and he tried to take over too late.

4. We completely dominated that game, Michigan just burned us with 3 pointers...like 3rd degree burns.

5. After that shot clock/time issue, we played terrible and they took momentum.

6. Why didn't Iverson play? I haven't seen an answer yet and I'm very curious as to why he never got in. I mean, if Williams is playing, there's no way Iverson shouldn't be playing if it's a matchup issue.

First of all, Westbrook is probably the worst ballhandling guard i've ever seen. A simple crossover and he loses the ball. His behind the back dribble? Horrific. He doesn't know where the ball is going to end up after it gets behind his back. Hoffarber ended up 2-5 for the game with 5 pts and an early 3 that I thought was going to be the start to a good game for him... but I guess not.

Yeah, westy wings most everything. Which is actually quite impressive that he is successfull as he is. speaking of, Canada is a little weak as well. Our bigger guys are pretty good though, so it's not all bad. but it's a weakness of this team no doubt.

Top Bottom