PiPress: Seniors to start last home game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Seniors to start last home game
Gophers seniors Jamal Abu-Shamala and Jon Williams have done more to help the team off the court than on it this season, but they will have a chance to start their last home game Saturday against Michigan.

Abu-Shamala was Minnesota's best outside shooting threat during his first two seasons, which included a 27-point game as a sophomore in 2006-07. Williams showed some promise with eight starts, including a 13-point, 14-rebound game as a sophomore in that same year.

In the last two seasons, Abu-Shamala and Williams have contributed more with leadership than on-court production, but they still feel fortunate to have a chance to end their career with a possible NCAA tournament appearance.

"All I've been through in my four years here; it's the last game," said Abu-Shamala, a former Shakopee High School standout. "I really want to go out on top, get a win and hopefully put ourselves in position to get an NCAA tournament berth."

Abu-Shamala was always a fan favorite. His path as the program's most recent walk-on turned scholarship player was inspiring. He said he would really miss the Barn student section chanting his name.

"From all the fans, for all the support I've had over the years, it's been amazing," he said. "To be my last game, hopefully it will be a great game in my farewell."

Williams is the only current player that was on the 2004-05 team that made the NCAA tournament, but he redshirted that season as a freshman out of Notre Dame Prep and St. Cloud Apollo High School.

"I can only imagine what it's like playing on the court when everybody's watching," he said. "We're just taking it one step at a time and trying to reach the highest goal. I think guys are sensing it and getting the urge that we're right there. All we have to do is just open the door and we're in the tournament. We just have to take it one game at a time."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom