Editorial: Jared Nuness addresses recent STrib article on Hopkins

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
Article here: http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/40810797.html

Interesting piece by the former Mr. Basketball Runner-Up and Valparaiso signee on some of the drama covered in the Star Trib this week (I believe Jared is the son of former Gopher great Al Nuness).

Jared Nuness: Hopkins offered a second family
Last update: March 5, 2009 - 6:29 PM

I transferred from Eden Prairie High School to Hopkins High School in 1995. The decision for the transfer was decided by my family and me. In no way, shape or form was I recruited by any coach or person involved with the Hopkins basketball program or community. The March 3 Star Tribune article on Hopkins basketball noted that I laughed when asked how do I feel when people say I was the first player "recruited" to play for Hopkins. I laughed because I have heard these accusations, and they are completely false.

My decision to transfer to Hopkins was the best decision I've made in my life and has helped make me the person I am today.

Was I recruited? Absolutely not! Was I attracted to the hard work and the culture that I saw with players who I knew outside of basketball who played at Hopkins? Absolutely.

The Novaks have been far more than basketball coaches to the players who have been a part of the Hopkins basketball community. Past players are still committed to the program and continue to support the current players and the youth throughout the Hopkins District. In many ways the Novaks are father figures to many of the players who have came or come from single or two parent families. I, being from a strong two parent family, am a witness to that. Next to my father, Ken Novak Jr. is the most influential man in my life and continues to be. He is not only a great teacher of the game of basketball but a great teacher about life and priorities.

These great qualities -- not only in coach Novak but in the Hopkins program as a whole -- are what is attractive to other students and families. A culture that is built on hard work, togetherness and love for one another. There is a tremendous amount of loyalty and respect that exist within the Hopkins basketball family that I am striving to build with my own basketball program at Kennedy High School.

What I find odd is, in discussing schools that have student-athlete transfers, Hopkins is the most mentioned. There are other high schools and athletic programs that have students or players who have transferred from other schools -- for all sports, not just basketball. But those schools aren't mentioned in this article.

Why? If the topic is transferring, then why not include all schools that have benefitted from this practice? Why not talk to the families of some of these students who made their decision to transfer?

I just wanted to let readers know that many former players feel the same way I do -- that we can't express how much inspiration and influence the Novaks and the Hopkins community have had on our lives. The support, influence and guidance we received continues to be the blueprint for us to strive to be successes.

JARED NUNESS, EDEN PRAIRIE,
HEAD BOYS BASKETBALL COACH
AT BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL, 1997 GRADUATE OF HOPKINS HIGH SCHOOL

Hopkins '68

Go Warriers! Yes, I know they arent Warrriers any more, they are the Royals. Still my alma mater tho.

He was the first one, its not shocking he wasn't recruited. I would like to see some of the guys on the roster now write a letter like that...

It would seem quite plausible to me that a young top notch player would want to be part of the Hopkins team without having been recruited. Great coach, talented teammates, high visibility and the opportunity to play nationally ranked teams. I think Hopkins can attract a great roster without breaking rules. OTH it must be frustrating to come up thru the Hopkins system only to lose your pt at the hs level to a kid who transfers in.

It would seem quite plausible to me that a young top notch player would want to be part of the Hopkins team without having been recruited. Great coach, talented teammates, high visibility and the opportunity to play nationally ranked teams. I think Hopkins can attract a great roster without breaking rules. OTH it must be frustrating to come up thru the Hopkins system only to lose your pt at the hs level to a kid who transfers in.
Agreed. Let's see if MillionMoves calls your post "hogwash" or is he just in a snit over his inability to make a "Pick per Day?"

Top Bottom