Audio from Tubby's postgame presser

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here is the Audio from Tubby's postgame presser: bit.ly/y3pLEK via @jordanschelling - thanks for putting this up, Jordan.

Wrote out a few notes from this:

• I thought we, well, just the way we played from my standpoint we couldn't make a shot at all. I don't know why we can't finish around the basket. It was an ugly game the way we shot, but it was a well defended game. I thought the defense was outstanding on their part. We did a good job defensively. I thought it was a great college basketball game in that regard.
• Andre took 12 shots, he went 3 for 12. He took more shots than anyone else, unfortunately, he couldn’t make any of them. I thought he was pretty aggressive. He took a couple bad shots, but he got to the FT line making 10-11. He guarded one of the best guards in the country in Jordan Taylor. I thought he played a solid game, aggressive in attacking, he took care of the ball. That was something we were working on. Assists, it's hard to get assists when you're not making any shots.
• Both teams are being aggressive defensively, and challenge everybody. The guys call what they see, there's a lot more calls they could have made.
• We've been a good free throw shooting team, but you have to make those shots at the end of the game. We had that same problem at our place. Those types of things hurt us at our place against WI.
• On the overturned charge call explanation - Tubby said - who knows? When you don't get it, you don't get it. When you gotta huddle like that and change the call, it's a joke, it really is.

I think this is the body of the whole journey, team internal things that we have to address. There are distractions, with your girlfriend, home, doing not what you're suppose to do. I meant it was a team thing, it's not everybody, but I want to send the message….that something….we're pretty good athletes to lose the way we are, to lose the way we've lost them...my whole thing is it must be mental so there must be some type of distraction. It's usually upstairs where the problems are. We've had some physical problems too, Welch, Maverick, etc.

He didn't call out a single player and he referred to the team as "we" and was complimentary. He stood up about officials.

I wonder why this thread doesn't have 8,000 posts yet?

He didn't call out a single player and he referred to the team as "we" and was complimentary. He stood up about officials.

Because this goes against the extreme angle of talking in generalities instead of facts.

He also provided excuses that are unknown and apparently have not been brought into his control (i.e., "distractions"). Additionally, he brought up Maverick Ahanmisi being injured.

I'd like to hear some real critiques of the team.

If there is truly a big problem with distractions, then where are the suspensions? Where is the discipline?

Gopher Warrior said:
He also provided excuses that are unknown and apparently have not been brought into his control (i.e., "distractions"). Additionally, he brought up Maverick Ahanmisi being injured.

I'd like to hear some real critiques of the team.

If there is truly a big problem with distractions, then where are the suspensions? Where is the discipline?

I don't think he really knows what the distractions are. I still think he believes the talent is there N the ability is there, so the only other possibilities for the losses is something mental (or coaching I guess) I don't think he knows exactly what the distraction is.

I don't think he really knows what the distractions are. I still think he believes the talent is there N the ability is there, so the only other possibilities for the losses is something mental (or coaching I guess) I don't think he knows exactly what the distraction is.

That's the scary part for me. I am not sure he really knows what the problem is. Neither do I, but that's why I'm on this board instead of coaching B1G basketball.

Thought his comments were alright. It's hard not to give up on this team. The real downer is the incoming recruits are role players at best it appears. Who are the guys who are going make shots in these type of games. Tubby complains we can't finish. Well what is he as a coach going to do to solve that?

In other words, you think he's saying, "well, the talent is there and Lord knows the coaching is second-to-none.. therefore, the only possibility is that outside distractions are messing things up for us! I don't know what they are, but that's got to be it..."?

Gopher Warrior said:
In other words, you think he's saying, "well, the talent is there and Lord knows the coaching is second-to-none.. therefore, the only possibility is that outside distractions are messing things up for us! I don't know what they are, but that's got to be it..."?

Basically, yeah. No idea if that's true, but that's how I've interpreted it anyways. I think he is reaching for an answer, I don't think he even knows at this point. I think he obviously could make some coaching changes too, mostly your point to the rotation. Pick 8 guys and play them a certain amount of minutes. That could be the "mental issue" right there.

If Tubby doesn't know what the distractions are there probably aren't any. He is grasping at straws and it shows. As for guys not being in good position to shoot and rebound around the basket, well, has the guy forgotten how to coach? That just shows how distracted he is and why he isn't getting results from his team. What are his distractions? Why isn't he getting the team ready? Just look at his comments about Andre and the inconsistency of his thought process, like his comment on you can't get assists if your making bad shots. Yet, apparently, he must not have said anything to the kid because the kid kept taking bad shots and not passing the ball to those who could. Do you not see how Tubby has checked out of reality here. It is like he said Andre had a great game and sucked at playing ball all in one sentence. Could Tubby's thinking right now be more muddled?

You wonder how his bout with prostate cancer is grinding on him? I know it was last year but, his mindset about his health at his age maybe affecting his coaching ability. People deal with illnesses in different ways. Some younger guys with dealing with this type of cancer and being cured may think. "Hell, this cancer is like throwing spitballs at a battleship" Just saying....

because that is what you expect from the head coach. It shouldn't be the one time all year that he does it.

I hope Tubby isn't having health trouble again. I am not sure it is helpful to even speculate on it now. Maybe in the off season Doogie can ask how he is feeling.

I think some of you forget that this man has pretty much never experienced losing like this in his entire D1 coaching career. To me, it's not surprising to see him kinda at a loss, not sure of himself, etc. When you win all the time, you often don't have to go to that level of trying to figure things out. He's obviously struggling with it right now.

Personally, I think his staff needs a shakeup (offensively specifically). They seemed to adjust their defense rather well, I haven't had a ton of qualms about it throughout his tenure. But offensively, guys just aren't comfortable or confident enough, and I think it's a function of a lack of innovative offensive thinking to get guys more easy buckets. They get open chances, but only on a few occasions has this team really looked like it "dissected" an opponent offensively during an extended stretch of time (IU game comes to mind, but their defense was terrible).

Personally, I think his staff needs a shakeup (offensively specifically). They seemed to adjust their defense rather well, I haven't had a ton of qualms about it throughout his tenure. But offensively, guys just aren't comfortable or confident enough, and I think it's a function of a lack of innovative offensive thinking to get guys more easy buckets. They get open chances, but only on a few occasions has this team really looked like it "dissected" an opponent offensively during an extended stretch of time (IU game comes to mind, but their defense was terrible).
If his staff needs to be shaken up then it's probably best to part ways with Tubby. If it takes 5 years for a coach of his caliber to figure out a shake up needs to take place it probably indicates he's lost a step.

goldengophers said:
If his staff needs to be shaken up then it's probably best to part ways with Tubby. If it takes 5 years for a coach of his caliber to figure out a shake up needs to take place it probably indicates he's lost a step.

Yeah, I don't know why he didn't figure out he needed a staff shake up after his second tourney trip in a row in year 3.

Yeah, I don't know why he didn't figure out he needed a staff shake up after his second tourney trip in a row in year 3.

My point is contained within your comment. A coach with Tubby's experience and success should realize no matter the record if the members of his staff are qualified or not. The members of his staff should've been getting promotions to better jobs, not be in imminent danger of losing their own jobs...

Anyone hear anything on Andre Ingram's knee? Obviously not a critical part of the team, but I wouldn't wish a serious knee injury upon anyone. We've already had one too many this season.

My point is contained within your comment. A coach with Tubby's experience and success should realize no matter the record if the members of his staff are qualified or not. The members of his staff should've been getting promotions to better jobs, not be in imminent danger of losing their own jobs...

I don't think it's that black and white. When you are having some success (and yes, believe it or not, we were up until about a calendar year ago), shakeups aren't usually something you do willingly. I understand the lack of promotions for his crew (didn't a couple actually interview for spots in past years???), but it's obvious there's a comfort there, and that's fine if we are progressing, but when that progress turns the other way, you gotta start looking at things like that a little closer.

Top Bottom