2012 BBall team = 2008-2011 Hockey Team

GreasyGopher

Reaction score
The disinterest and unwillingness to respond to coaching of the current bball team reminds me of hockey teams of the recent past. The nonchalant attitude and lack of intensity are frustrating to watch. Does anyone else see similarities? Lucia has regained a little this year but prior to this year it appeared he was struggling to get through to his players. Tubby is going through that right now. Seeing the same thing over and over and no attempt to fix it is frustrating.

Very true, however Lucia gets #1 rated recruiting classes every year and won back-to-back national championships here and Tubby has back-to-back first round losses and nothing else. The hockey program here will always be healthy and hopefully the basketball program can get back to respectability with some changes at the top.

Very true, however Lucia gets #1 rated recruiting classes every year and won back-to-back national championships here and Tubby has back-to-back first round losses and nothing else. The hockey program here will always be healthy and hopefully the basketball program can get back to respectability with some changes at the top.

I agree. I think the Gopher hockey team missing three straight NCAA tournaments would be like if Duke missed March Madness three times in a row. But I agree that both teams played under their potential.

Uh, one coach won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP twice, in addition to multiple conference championships or conference tournament championship trophies. Tubby, meanwhile, has... um... well...

When the hockey team struggled, Lucia had reasonable excuses. Interestingly, he didn't rely on them, but instead accepted responsibility. Meanwhile, when the basketball team struggled, Tubby blamed the players, the cities and the culture. Or, he blamed Blake Hoffarber for not being a point guard when Tubby himself ran off all other options.

This team is not like the hockey team. Tubby can't recruit. He can coach basics but can't coach in-game strategy. Worst of all, no one enjoys playing for him. Tubby has checked out. Clearly, Don Lucia has not.

Gophers basketball might be as dead now as it was when Tubby took over. The team is dead and hopeless. Next year looks no better. Williams Arena is dead and hopeless, and next year looks no better.

I won't say "Fire Tubby," but the basketball program is in worse shape then any boosters are willing to admit.

Uh, one coach won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP twice, in addition to multiple conference championships or conference tournament championship trophies. Tubby, meanwhile, has... um... well...

When the hockey team struggled, Lucia had reasonable excuses. Interestingly, he didn't rely on them, but instead accepted responsibility. Meanwhile, when the basketball team struggled, Tubby blamed the players, the cities and the culture. Or, he blamed Blake Hoffarber for not being a point guard when Tubby himself ran off all other options.

This team is not like the hockey team. Tubby can't recruit. He can coach basics but can't coach in-game strategy. Worst of all, no one enjoys playing for him. Tubby has checked out. Clearly, Don Lucia has not.

Gophers basketball might be as dead now as it was when Tubby took over. The team is dead and hopeless. Next year looks no better. Williams Arena is dead and hopeless, and next year looks no better.

I won't say "Fire Tubby," but the basketball program is in worse shape then any boosters are willing to admit.

First of all, the comparison was to two specific seasons, not the coaches in general.

But, they both have National Championships and multiple conference championships.

If Lucia "had reasonable excuses" for their struggles, then I don't know how you can't say Tubby hasn't.

I won't even comment on the last three paragraphs as they are a complete overreaction.

Top Bottom