Some positives

bga1

Reaction score
We had some guys come out and battle:

Ralph- 9 boards, 5 blocks- he played as hard as I have seen him play
Rodney- played hard-couldn't make some shots fall but played hard
Andre Hollins- Went cold in the second half but good floor game and good defense- had two turnovers but both were offensive fouls- on of them very questionable. The refs mentioned that he had no assists, but he could have a 3 or 4 if guys could make shots
Andre Ingram - he's limited but he plays hard

Our 3 assists may be the lowest assist total I've ever seen. Again if you can't make a basket then no assists.

Playing without Welch- really not that bad of a performance overall. Great defense.

This game was something to build on as Andre got some confidence and it was a good effort. It does not appear that Tubby has lost the team.

Yep, I know the folks with high standards who won't settle for mediocrity will be out, but this is the best I hoped for. Tubby ain't going anywhere so it was nice to see them battle. Andre is our best hope to develop into a "Taylor" type so I really want him getting the playing time. But, God, that shooting was brutal, and we had some good looks. Also, you don't know what you're going to get from Austin, Rodney, or Joe from game to game, or even play to play.

Only thing uglier than the way Wisconsin plays is how they look.

This game did nothing to make me feel worse. It was ugly, but all Wisconsin games are. We probably would have beat them on a neutral floor tonight. The Nebraska game should be telling. I expect a 10-point win.

We can't hit the broad side of a barn, but we competed (unlike IU), I'll give us that.

Especially after watching Draymond Green in a losing effort vs. Indiana, one thing that scares me about the Gophers is there is no leader on this team, or in the program. We have nothing close to a lead dog, someone who'll get pi**ed off and say "This isn't acceptable."

I remain hopeful for a win on Senior Night, but the truth is a loss to a pathetic Nebraska team would be a fitting ending to this regular season. It certainly wouldn't surprise me, what with our stellar 2-6 record at "difficult place to win for opponents" Williams Arena.

Beat Nebraska, and end this frickin' skid before we go to Indy.

Yep, I know the folks with high standards who won't settle for mediocrity will be out, but this is the best I hoped for. Tubby ain't going anywhere so it was nice to see them battle. Andre is our best hope to develop into a "Taylor" type so I really want him getting the playing time. But, God, that shooting was brutal, and we had some good looks. Also, you don't know what you're going to get from Austin, Rodney, or Joe from game to game, or even play to play.

Only thing uglier than the way Wisconsin plays is how they look.

Coleman needs to figure out when to go all the way and when to pull up from 5-10 feet. He could become difficult to stop if he develops a midrange game.

Good 1st half defense!! Gophs shut down drives to the basket and the shot blocks were fun to watch. What happened in the 2nd half dag nabit?

That game was lost on 2 possessions totaling 9 points. Neither team was scoring, the first team to make a run would win.

The first was the 8 point swing following the no call on Hollins and ensuing technical foul. That was a 5 point possession.

The second was the missed second free throw by Wilson off the back iron that ended up being the open 3 shot.

Back breakers. I thought they played fantastic D tonight. Not sure why they mixed in the zone though.

More of the same... Gophers found a way to lose. Gave up the lead quickly doing the same stuff they've done all year - turned the ball over and hacked the hell out of a team that couldn't shoot from the field.

I think I will plan on a nice breakfast before the game Saturday so that there is something to look forward to.

That game was lost on 2 possessions totaling 9 points. Neither team was scoring, the first team to make a run would win.

The first was the 8 point swing following the no call on Hollins and ensuing technical foul. That was a 5 point possession.

The second was the missed second free throw by Wilson off the back iron that ended up being the open 3 shot.

Back breakers. I thought they played fantastic D tonight. Not sure why they mixed in the zone though.

I'm assuming they went zone due to being slapped with 6 team fouls in the first 5:00 of the 2nd half.

The bail out fouls in the paint at the end of the shot clock were maddening.

This was one game where we really missed Trevor.

FT shooting and their scrappiness kept the Gophers in the game. How many bunnies can one team miss?

But, still another L. It will be tough getting the 6 BT W's that I predicted after Trevor went out.

The bail out fouls in the paint at the end of the shot clock were maddening.

These are the type of players Tubby has recruited. Long and athletic, but cannot shoot and have a very low Bball IQ.

More of the same... Gophers found a way to lose. Gave up the lead quickly doing the same stuff they've done all year - turned the ball over and hacked the hell out of a team that couldn't shoot from the field.

I think I will plan on a nice breakfast before the game Saturday so that there is something to look forward to.
I sincerely hope you don't lose it.

1. If I was an outsider watching this game, I would have turned it off after 5 minutes. Brutal game to watch. 43 of the 97 points came from free throws. MN scored 18 points from inside the arch, WI just 12.
2. The refs were flat out terrible on both sides.
3. This is not just Bo Ryan, but the one thing I hate the most about today's game is how much coaches can get away with. Most refs now days don't have the guts to give experienced coaches a T, let alone kick them out of a game.
4. Andre Hollins is going to be special. He shouldn't get less than 30 minutes a game from here on out. I think he could be our "go to guy" in the future. I'm excited to see him and Welch play together next year. Neither one is a true point guard, but they can both score.
5. I wish Oto would shoot a little more. He had some opportunities to shoot a few mid range jumpers but didn't even really look to shoot.
6. The play that did us in was when WI missed the 2nd free throw and it came back to Taylor who made the wide open 3. Too many guys just standing around. Terrible
7. Some got their wish with Tubby's T. Didn't really do a whole lot to excite the players though.
8. We missed way too many shots in the paint. That's a big reason why we lost.

1. If I was an outsider watching this game, I would have turned it off after 5 minutes. Brutal game to watch. 43 of the 97 points came from free throws. MN scored 18 points from inside the arch, WI just 12.
2. The refs were flat out terrible on both sides.
3. This is not just Bo Ryan, but the one thing I hate the most about today's game is how much coaches can get away with. Most refs now days don't have the guts to give experienced coaches a T, let alone kick them out of a game.
4. Andre Hollins is going to be special. He shouldn't get less than 30 minutes a game from here on out. I think he could be our "go to guy" in the future. I'm excited to see him and Welch play together next year. Neither one is a true point guard, but they can both score.
5. I wish Oto would shoot a little more. He had some opportunities to shoot a few mid range jumpers but didn't even really look to shoot.
6. The play that did us in was when WI missed the 2nd free throw and it came back to Taylor who made the wide open 3. Too many guys just standing around. Terrible
7. Some got their wish with Tubby's T. Didn't really do a whole lot to excite the players though.
8. We missed way too many shots in the paint. That's a big reason why we lost.

It's going to be up to the players, over the next 8 months to take some pride and improve themselves. If I were Tubby, I'd pull Andre Hollins aside and privately tell him that this will be his team to lead if he chooses to work his fanny off during the summer in the weight room, shooting and in ball handling. The kid is the only leader they have perhaps along with Welch. I think the guys would follow Andre. Andre is capable of developing point guard skills. He made some nice passes into the post tonight and had zero ball handling turnovers.

Whenever I think that Tubby was giving big minutes to Ahanmisi earlier in the year instead of Hollins it ticks me off. Hollins should have been given the ball right away and gotten started learning through his mistakes.

It's going to be up to the players, over the next 8 months to take some pride and improve themselves. If I were Tubby, I'd pull Andre Hollins aside and privately tell him that this will be his team to lead if he chooses to work his fanny off during the summer in the weight room, shooting and in ball handling. The kid is the only leader they have perhaps along with Welch. I think the guys would follow Andre. Andre is capable of developing point guard skills. He made some nice passes into the post tonight and had zero ball handling turnovers.

Whenever I think that Tubby was giving big minutes to Ahanmisi earlier in the year instead of Hollins it ticks me off. Hollins should have been given the ball right away and gotten started learning through his mistakes.

I agree 100% with you. Dre is the type of player I could see being a true leader in the future. Whether that happens is yet to be seen.

Especially after watching Draymond Green in a losing effort vs. Indiana, one thing that scares me about the Gophers is there is no leader on this team, or in the program. We have nothing close to a lead dog, someone who'll get pi**ed off and say "This isn't acceptable

Dre Hollins went toe to toe with Taylor, took no crap and stood his ground with the refs and Wisconsin. There is a leader but fortunately or unfortunately it is a true freshman. Dre and Coleman could be a legendary duo if they stay together and progress for 4 years.

+1

I never understood why Hollins spent so much time on the bench this year. Julian has nice skills but he's painfully slow. The good B1G guards blow right by him. Mav is a nice DII player. This should have been Dre's team in November. It was clear from "Tubby's Tip Off" that he was the most gifted back court player on the team. I hope that Dre isn't pissed and hasn't decided to transfer.

jamiche said:
I never understood why Hollins spent so much time on the bench this year. Julian has nice skills but he's painfully slow. The good B1G guards blow right by him. Mav is a nice DII player. This should have been Dre's team in November. It was clear from "Tubby's Tip Off" that he was the most gifted back court player on the team. I hope that Dre isn't pissed and hasn't decided to transfer.

He had an ankle injury.

Vision, you must come to realize that some posters forget important facts when they share their "unbiased" opinions.

He has played in all 29 games and averaged 17 minutes a game. Couldn't have been too bad of an injury. The point stands.

A lot of things that are reported to the media aren't necessarily always the case. Shocking, I know.

So I share my "unbiased" opinion about peoples' "unbiased" opinions, and that makes me a troll. Got it.

Correct. I would assume that most people don't come here to read 6000 critiques of other people's posts.

The time for looking for positives in Ralph's game is over.

He's got 2 games left in a Gopher uniform.

So I share my "unbiased" opinion about peoples' "unbiased" opinions, and that makes me a troll. Got it.

He!!, that's nothing Doc.

So far this year I've been called 'Patrick Ruesse' and most recently a 'peep of Dr Don'.

He!!, that's nothing Doc.

So far this year I've been called 'Patrick Ruesse' and most recently a 'peep of Dr Don'.
Speaking of Peeps, they're now stocked on shelves for Easter. Load up!

Top Bottom